Home

Does playing time affect progression?

This is a discussion on Does playing time affect progression? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-24-2010, 12:21 AM   #1
All Star

SuperBowlNachos's Arena

OVR: 21
Does playing time affect progression?

Is there any benefit to letting my backups player more or is progression pre-determined/random and not based on how they do and how much they play?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
MVP

dan_457's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Does playing time affect progression?

Considering in-season progression is incredibly rare/non-existent this year, no. How well a player plays, has nothing to do with progression, unfortunately.

-Cleveland Browns-

-Cleveland Cavaliers-
Old 07-24-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

The EA developers have previously said that playing players does encourage their progression (along with program prestige). How much, I don't know; this is honestly the first year I've played NCAA in a while.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:37 AM   #4
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
The EA developers have previously said that playing players does encourage their progression (along with program prestige). How much, I don't know; this is honestly the first year I've played NCAA in a while.
They have said that in years past but I disagree. Been playing the game for 12 years now and every year seems random.
Example: playing with 5* Georgia
-LB #1 starts every game records 15.5 sacks and wins 3 awards. Progression of only 2 point to his OVR (83 to 85)
-LB #2 is not on the depth chart, does not record a stat, not redshirted. Progresses 4 points. (67 to 71)
How do you explain this? I had a few other players that did the same but this was one I remember.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:36 AM   #5
MVP

BROman's Arena

OVR: 11

I had two qbs on '11, one rated a 80 and the other a 78. I started the 80 and he threw for over 2000 yards and 20 tds, while the 78 threw 7 passes the entire season. The next season, the 80 progressed to an 82 while the 78 progressed to an 83. Weird.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-24-2010, 02:43 AM   #6
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROman
I had two qbs on '11, one rated a 80 and the other a 78. I started the 80 and he threw for over 2000 yards and 20 tds, while the 78 threw 7 passes the entire season. The next season, the 80 progressed to an 82 while the 78 progressed to an 83. Weird.
Maybe there is a hidden potential rating.

QB A who was an 80 overall maybe only had the potential to progress to 83 max and you got 2 out of the 3, while QB B had a significantly higher potential.

Also... I think it's important to look at more than just a QB's overall rating. If, for example, QB A was an 80 ovr based primarily on his arm skills, then his arm skills are already pretty high so improvement in this area wouldn't mean as much to his overall.

But if QB B was a 78 ovr and was getting a lot of his ovr rating from secondary QB skills like speed, acceleration, etc. and had much lower arm skills, then it's easier for him to see a larger jump.

If this doesn't make sense...basically I guess what I'm saying is... QB's improvement in training is most arm strength/accuracy. And I don't know if this works in the game or not, but the difference between 90 and 95 arm strength should be significantly more than the difference between 70 and 75, at least when it comes to training.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:07 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
I haven't really seen any of my starters improve more than the backups who never play.

And aside from that, why the hell did they tie program prestige to progression? Does that make any sense at all? Not athletic facilities... not coach prestige... but program prestige. Players develop into NFL talent all the time from smaller programs. Yeah, the bigger schools end up with more NFL talent, but that's because they get the better athletes to start with. How a player develops should really have nothing to do with program prestige.
Old 07-24-2010, 04:16 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
IM pretty sure EA is lying here. Program prestige is definitely the key factor in progression. If you are a 6 star team your players progress DRAMATICALLY different than a 1,2,3 and 4 star school. I havent been able to notice 5 versus 6 star prestige difference.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »