Home

My biggest gripe with this game

This is a discussion on My biggest gripe with this game within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2010, 01:57 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
My biggest gripe with this game

I really do love this game, it is by far one of the best iterations of EA's NCAA series. I love how realistic the animation is as far as jukes, spins and the such go.

However, I do have one big gripe. It seems, as I've read in other posts, that the CPU logic is downright illogical. My biggest point of issue is the fact that late in the game when I'm up 35 points with less than 5 minutes left, the CPU keeps its starters in. I don't see why they just wouldn't mass sub for their starters for mop up duty. It sucks when I have my number two line and HB trying to control the clock and get met in the backfield by the CPU's star DE or LB, it is quite frustrating.

As I said before, I really love this game. Hopefully it is possible for EA to patch CPU logic in this regard as well as in the recruiting process.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2010, 01:59 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: My biggest gripe with this game

That doesn't necessarily bother me.

What does bother me is CPU calling timeouts when they clearly have zero chance of winning. For instance, when I am up by two touchdowns with 5 seconds on the clock.

On first down, I kneel, they take a timeout. Four seconds left.
On second down, I kneel, they take a timeout, 3 seconds left.
On third down, I kneel, they take a timeout, 2 seconds left.
On forth down, I punt, they fair catch, game over.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:12 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 3

Yeah, like I said, the CPU has no logic at all. I understand that its a computer program so it is all scripted, but I don't see why at the end of a blowout game the CPU chooses to do these things. It is frustrating.
Old 07-26-2010, 02:18 AM   #4
MVP

dan_457's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
That doesn't necessarily bother me.

What does bother me is CPU calling timeouts when they clearly have zero chance of winning. For instance, when I am up by two touchdowns with 5 seconds on the clock.

On first down, I kneel, they take a timeout. Four seconds left.
On second down, I kneel, they take a timeout, 3 seconds left.
On third down, I kneel, they take a timeout, 2 seconds left.
On forth down, I punt, they fair catch, game over.
This for sure, along with them kicking an onside kick while down by 40 with 2 minutes left. It's these kinds of things that the devs just seem to brush off each year, they don't have a huge impact, but they're important fundamentals needed, in order to make a good game, into a great game.

-Cleveland Browns-

-Cleveland Cavaliers-
Old 07-26-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
MVP

OVR: 7

Generally, I think the gameplay AI is fairly solid, but I saw what I think was a horrible AI decision last night. Computer was down 10 with about 3-4 minutes left in the 4th. They had the ball in the redzone with a 4th and 8. They went for it instead of kicking the FG. They still had all of their TO's and their K is not horrible. I think 95%+ coaches would say take the FG and get it to a one possession deficit. I wouldn't have questioned the call except they were in FG range that wasn't a lot more than an extra point. Now, if they were down 2 TD's, I could see going for it, but not down only 10.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2010, 09:59 AM   #6
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I have no issue with the CPU keeping in it's starters when it's being blown out. A lot of real life coaches do just that to get their starters playing time that can't be replicated in practice.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I have no issue with the CPU keeping in it's starters when it's being blown out. A lot of real life coaches do just that to get their starters playing time that can't be replicated in practice.
I agree. And certain other things are just funny more than anything, like them calling their timeouts. I played a game yesterday where I was up a few points with 7 seconds left, with the ball. It was first down and the CPU had one timeout. I did a kneel and they called the timeout. Uh... dear CPU coach, are you just trying to make run over to your sideline and hit stick you, or what??

Only occasionally do you see really bizarre logic, like the thing cited above with the computer going for it on 4th and long when a field goal is the obvious choice. I imagine that situational logic is hard to get just right, but then again they've been releasing these games for decades now. Why not just have some football-obsessed brainiac sit down and script all the rules, and always use them every year? I think it's especially strange that some years the logic will be better and then it gets worse again. No need to rewrite something year after year, the basic strategy of football is more or less the same now as it was 40 years ago. Everything that relates to clock management, going for it or kicking/punting, when to go for 2, etc. should be pretty well locked down by now. It seldom makes a big difference in the outcome of a game (in my experience anyway) but it makes the game seem unnecessarily dumb.

I wouldn't mind if lower-rated coaches made occasional mistakes still, but most coaches in both Madden and NCAA should get the basic decisions always right.
Old 07-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 9

CLock management by the CPU is much improved this year, especially when down big.

I upset PITT 30 - 7 and while up in the 4th quarter, they did little more than run the ball and high percentage passing, and they didn't use any of their timeouts. Hell, I've had a couple games up by two scores where the CPU made it close after calling timeouts... Once against ND, I was up 17 - 7 with nothing left in the game, and I had the ball going in, I figured they'd let it run out. I perform a run, fumble for a TD.. and then they get the onside kick and do a long pass to my ~35 yard line. THey were about 5 yards short of a FG with 2 seconds left on the clock. I was stunned I thought the game was trying to give me a heart attack.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »