Home

I Love How Progression Is Done

This is a discussion on I Love How Progression Is Done within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #25
MVP

dan_457's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: I Love How Progression Is Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavfan21
Progression and the recruits were perfect post-patch in NCAA 10. This year is a mess.

The recruits, especially WR's and K/P's are a mess and thanks to slowed down progression, they stay bad. I recruited the top WR in the nation to my FSU dynasty and he came in 78 OVR (with 47 elusiveness and 52 juke, which makes him as slippery as my LT). At that OVR and with slowed progression he won't start till he's a junior and he likely will graduate at about 88 OVR...maybe. Your 3 star 50 something OVR players will make it to 65-70, MAYBE. Your kickers will be terrible, your WR's can't make a guy miss, the HB's will never learn to catch and the rest of them just stay kinda blah.

Julio Jones, Michael Crabtree, AJ Green, Percy Harvin, Jeremy Maclin, Desean Jackson, Mike Williams, Dez Bryant and more were top wideouts in their first or second years of college football. That will never happen in NCAA 11.

There needs to be a handful, literally 3-7 players a year that are flat out studs as freshmen. The recruits in this game can't get past the starters, that's fine for almost all recruits, but there should be some that make instant impact. NOT ALL PLAYERS should progress rapidly, but some should.

What's worse, and I don't do this because I LOVE the hand made rookies, but for people that want to import into Madden they'll have a bunch of NCAA players leaving school pretty low rated and entering Madden as useless.

Last year recruiting and recruits and progression was close to perfect after the patch, I don't get why they messed with it.
QFT, the progression and recruits were great post-patch last year, all they need to do is switch back to what it was, and it will be great. I remember there'd be maybe 1-3 A/A- teams every year with an outside chance of an A+ with all the teams actually being balanced, not a bottom heavy mess.

-Cleveland Browns-

-Cleveland Cavaliers-
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2010, 10:24 PM   #26
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_457
QFT, the progression and recruits were great post-patch last year, all they need to do is switch back to what it was, and it will be great. I remember there'd be maybe 1-3 A/A- teams every year with an outside chance of an A+ with all the teams actually being balanced, not a bottom heavy mess.
It just drives me crazy.

Out of all the things that I felt would be PERFECT in this game I was sure it would Dyansty, recruits and progression.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #27
Rookie

Catamount53's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Progression and the recruits were perfect post-patch in NCAA 10. This year is a mess.

The recruits, especially WR's and K/P's are a mess and thanks to slowed down progression, they stay bad. I recruited the top WR in the nation to my FSU dynasty and he came in 78 OVR (with 47 elusiveness and 52 juke, which makes him as slippery as my LT). At that OVR and with slowed progression he won't start till he's a junior and he likely will graduate at about 88 OVR...maybe. Your 3 star 50 something OVR players will make it to 65-70, MAYBE. Your kickers will be terrible, your WR's can't make a guy miss, the HB's will never learn to catch and the rest of them just stay kinda blah.

Julio Jones, Michael Crabtree, AJ Green, Percy Harvin, Jeremy Maclin, Desean Jackson, Mike Williams, Dez Bryant and more were top wideouts in their first or second years of college football. That will never happen in NCAA 11.

There needs to be a handful, literally 3-7 players a year that are flat out studs as freshmen. The recruits in this game can't get past the starters, that's fine for almost all recruits, but there should be some that make instant impact. NOT ALL PLAYERS should progress rapidly, but some should.

What's worse, and I don't do this because I LOVE the hand made rookies, but for people that want to import into Madden they'll have a bunch of NCAA players leaving school pretty low rated and entering Madden as useless.

Last year recruiting and recruits and progression was close to perfect after the patch, I don't get why they messed with it.

I agree and I would like to add that I really miss in-season progression. In college football experience is a big part of how good a player is.

With in-season recruiting before if you had two similarly rated freshman QBs and started one of them at the beginning of the season, then that one would be better at the end of the season (depending on his performance). Now progression is completely random and a quarterback that had 40 TDs and started the entire season will progress at the same rate as one that never played a down.

I think the cpu hoarding players and the shortcomings of progression this year are holding this game back. I really enjoy playing this game, but it could be so much better.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #28
Banned

Look at it like this. Let's say a lot of players enter college with an 80+ rating. They would be concidered Very Good players, and only 10 points away from being Excellent player (Superstars). With progression, they will be "Superstar" players by the time they finish their college career. That's not realistic having that many players rated that high. You need that long gap with players.

Like I said before, a handful of players should hit 80's and 90's in their college career, and the rest stay in the 70's and lower. That's real.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:29 PM   #29
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by claystone
The thing is players in the 70 ratings do very well in this game. It's not like they're useless. I should know, i have a cupcake team with San Diego, but i get good production out of them.

Now my QB who is rated 56 he stinks, but my WR and HB in the 70's do very well. That's why I rated 70 players = to Good, and 80 players = very good. The truth is you can get production out of 70 rated players.

Yes, there should be a a couple of 80's studs that came out of High School, but i mean a couple being 10 at best.

I agree with you about there being more 65-75 3-4 star recruits being a good thing. But the problem is, they come in with a lot of flaws (especially the WR's and K/P's) and never progress well. The other thing is, there are just no superstars in a few seasons. The OVR's look good for some top players but the ratings are bad and because ratings finally matter (thank goodness) it affects gameplay.

I think everyone wants a good wide spread in recruit OVR ratings, but there needs to be some decent progression and the skill ratings need to be balanced.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #30
Banned

Quote:
I agree with you about there being more 65-75 3-4 star recruits being a good thing. But the problem is, they come in with a lot of flaws (especially the WR's and K/P's) and never progress well. The other thing is, there are just no superstars in a few seasons. The OVR's look good for some top players but the ratings are bad and because ratings finally matter (thank goodness) it affects gameplay.

I think everyone wants a good wide spread in recruit OVR ratings, but there needs to be some decent progression and the skill ratings need to be balanced.

I'm in my 2nd season of my Dynasty. I have players that gain 4 points on progression, which is good. Imagine if I had a ton of 80 rated recruits, their first year playing they would be rated 84 going into their 2nd year. if it stay the same they would have a 92 rating by the time they finish their careers. Even if I had 3 players that's still too much, because if i had 3 on my cupcake team, can you imagine how many the powerhouse team must have.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #31
MVP

mavfan21's Arena

Quote:
Look at it like this. Let's say a lot of players enter college with an 80+ rating. They would be concidered Very Good players, and only 10 points away from being Excellent player (Superstars). With progression, they will be "Superstar" players by the time they finish their college career. That's not realistic having that many players rated that high. You need that long gap with players.

Like I said before, a handful of players should hit 80's and 90's in their college career, and the rest stay in the 70's and lower. That's real.

I agree, see post #29.

There need to be a handful of Crabtree's, Adrian Peterson's, Tim Tebow's,etc, that are 90 plus by year 2. After the superstars, the bulk of a top teams roster should be in the 70-85 range.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-26-2010, 10:37 PM   #32
MVP

dan_457's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:

This is just the thing, that's just your opinion of how ratings should be, where the notion that high 90's players are once in a generation payers came from, i have no idea, but i know it didn't come from the NCAA games considering EA designed the game to work with the higher ratings, which is why there are always many highly rated players out of the box. Them stretching the ratings sounds good on paper, but it was poorly executed in multiple areas. Anyway, the amount of 80's and 90's players they have now is great, it's the lower rated recruits that need a boost.

-Cleveland Browns-

-Cleveland Cavaliers-

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »