Home

Shutting down the "progression is fine" arguments

This is a discussion on Shutting down the "progression is fine" arguments within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2010, 01:57 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Shutting down the "progression is fine" arguments

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghettoqball
Well that's just not true. At the start of the game, there is one A+ team, and then 10 or so A and A- teams. If the talent level stayed about even with that, we'd be fine.
Exactly. And it shouldn't be that hard.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2010, 02:33 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
If the system simulates real life (Making bad teams stay bad) isn't that what people want? Don't people want a simulation of real life in their games?
If this were the case, there would be no point in playing the game. ECU would always lose to Texas, Idaho St. would always lose to Penn State, etc.

These are not real examples but my point is that people play these games to better the team that they are controlling. If your team stayed bad no matter how many games you win and how high your skill level is, then what is the point of playing it?

There are a lot of factors that play into why a team is good. Coaching being a huge factor. If I am controlling a team and I am a good coach (skilled video gamer) I should be able to make my 2 star team improve through winning and recruiting. The opposite should happen if a coach goes to another school and doesn't have the tools to get their team to win through their coaching philosophy ie. Coach Rodriguez and Michigan.

The team I played against was called FCS. I don't recognize that school but I'd hate to be their football team in real life. I don't think they're going anywhere this year.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #27
Banned

OVR: 0

To all the people trying to defend this mess: If you stop trying to claim that something is not wrong and everything is fine, these threads will probably stop. I - and probably many others - just can't sit back in watch people try to defend that which is wrong. You want these threads to stop but in reality it is you that is fanning the flames.

So if you don't like that we see blatant problems and are disappointed, and keep pointing them out, then don't try to convince us were wrong. Every single one of these threads about broken ratings and progression has someone trying to convince someone that what they see is not a problem and doesn't matter. Your wrong, and your not going to convince us anyways so just stop antagonizing us...I mean that is unless your actually enjoying this....
Old 07-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny "Too Tall"
To all the people trying to defend this mess: If you stop trying to claim that something is not wrong and everything is fine, these threads will probably stop. I - and probably many others - just can't sit back in watch people try to defend that which is wrong. You want these threads to stop but in reality it is you that is fanning the flames.

So if you don't like that we see blatant problems and are disappointed, and keep pointing them out, then don't try to convince us were wrong. Every single one of these threads about broken ratings and progression has someone trying to convince someone that what they see is not a problem and doesn't matter. Your wrong, and your not going to convince us anyways so just stop antagonizing us...I mean that is unless your actually enjoying this....
im on your side of the argument but you cant just say "your wrong go away" lol. Im actually happy for people who love the game as is. But I just can't take another kicker missing 5 extra points in a game and receivers going straight down after a catch everytime(if they even catch it).

What i really cant stand is people just saying "use the sliders to fix it".....riiight.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:50 PM   #29
MVP

poopoop's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny "Too Tall"

This. It's so so annoying listening to people invent reasons why the game is fine. I swear if i made a thread saying my prized 5 star hb never showed up on my roster, someone would come in and say: "well that's realistic, in real life recruits are unable to qualify academically/get arrested/change sports/die."
Old 07-27-2010, 02:59 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

kingkilla56's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopoop
This. It's so so annoying listening to people invent reasons why the game is fine. I swear if i made a thread saying my prized 5 star hb never showed up on my roster, someone would come in and say: "well that's realistic, in real life recruits are unable to qualify academically/get arrested/change sports/die."
Funnest thing ever but true
Old 07-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #31
Rookie

This whole thing is starting to remind me of the MVP baseball 2004 fiasco. Remember the one with Albert on the cover for the ps2? Well, there was a glitch in that game that made Left handed hitters take a big power drop compared to RH hitters.

For weeks and weeks people argued about it. I was in the camp that the game was broken for LH hitters along with hundered of other posters but there was a group of people that could not see the forest for the EA trees that kept saying we suck at the game and it's just fine, they mash with lefty's etc.. It was crazy. Then, about 3 months after the game was out EA released a memo saying that it was true that Lefty's could not hit like Rightys due to some programing error.

Lesson learned. Let people believe what they want to believe. If others think that it's cool for NCAA kickers to have 45 KP and 47 KA then it's cool with me. I however, don't agree.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 7

First off : Itīs a freaking joke that this isnīt even the most glaring problem:

CPU teams not recruiting to their strength or change their playstyle to the recruits. This might be hard to achieve, but without it the game will never be anything close to realistic years into dynasty.
If the CPU runs the option it shouldnīt recruit a 50 speed guy with 90 THP to be their starter and if he does end up the starter it should stop running the option.
Or start the 85 speed guy with a 1 point lower overall ...
This isnīt just "not working properly" but never even intended to be in the game. Thatīs a bad joke.

Why is everyone sticking to the term "progression" ? The initial abilities are the problem, not progression. 5 star guys (and 4 star guys as well, even 3 stars to an extent) come in and develop ok, the problem ist that 1 and 2 star prospects are a massive drop off in talent when they come in and seeing that 50% of the programs recruit mainly 1 and 2 star guys AND progress their players much slower, thatīs why the gap between the upper half and the bottom half gets so glaring .

And a ton of people in any of the threads is complaining that the game isnīt working for him because they canīt get the recruits they want or their players struggle, they complain because the CPU is lacking ability to stay competitive, with so many terrible teams the level of compßetitions drops dramatically and takes the fun out of playing with a lesser program by a ton and also playing with a good program (either you play a good team or a terrible team, rarely a very good or a decent team, takes a lot of variety out of the game)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gosens6
For a minute though, ignore the default rosters.

EA stretched their ratings in Dynasty mode, yet for some reason didn't do it with the default rosters. I think 5-6 years in is the ratings we were meant to have with this game. People aren't understanding this because the default ratings are so high out of the box.

People think it's broken because their 1 and 2* recruits aren't progressing into the 80's and 90's, or that their team has an A across the board in every category. This does sometimes happen IRL though, see below.
1) Ignore the default rosters ? If you build a game engine the first thing you do is make sure it works with the default rosters. Let me tell you sth ? They do !!! The game is brilliant in quick games or a first season of dynasty, but things do go downhill (literally) from then on.

2) If that were really meant to happen we would have a different rating scale. No on willingly rates 50% of the teams in the worst possible 3 ratings (D+, D, D-) when at the start of the game itīs hardly 25%.

3) No one is calling for 1 star recruits to come in or develop into the 80s and 90s, all everyone is asking for them to develop to the point that the weakest players on the default rosters develop which is, quite frankly, a mperfectly reasonable thing to ask for.
And again : Many people really arenīt worried about their teams but the CPU. You can allways work around flaws of a game, the CPU cnīt because they are bound to the boundaries set by the developers. Whatīs a game without a challenge ?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »