Home

CPU No Huddle Logic

This is a discussion on CPU No Huddle Logic within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2010, 04:16 AM   #1
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43
CPU No Huddle Logic

Now I'm not sure if this topic has been covered or mentioned yet but I thought I'd bring it up. Moderators if this has been mentioned please close this thread and give me directions to a more appropriate area. Not sure if this can be tuned or if it has to be patched. Please do not bash EA in this thread either because JackDog and the gang are not playing with instant bans.

Now maybe I'm not a big of college fan as I thought because I've never realized this many teams run no huddle. In one of my ODs every computer opponent has run no huddle, which includes Duke, Pitt, and Ohio State. Duke and Pitt would run it until there is an incomplete pass. Even if the play resulted in negative yardage they would do it.

Now it doesn't really matter to me who runs the no huddle but its how they are doing it. The CPU doesn't think like a human in a sense by realizing "Hey, that didn't' work let me huddle up and try something else" or do they take into account that they don't have proper personnel on the field to line up in a different formations. I've seen everything from a 1 WR set being ran on the first play and then the CPU running 4 verticals on the next. I can not honestly say I've ever seen a real life team ever do something like that on a regular basis.

Also the CPU doesn't take into fatigue account. When their running their no huddle they will run their players into a ditch. After a long drive you start seeing crazy formation packages on the play calling screen such as "1QB 1 HB 4TE 2WR" or something to that effect.

My questions to anyone with powers to pass this to the devs are:

1. Is it possible to tune/patch the frequency/amount of teams that run no huddle. It seems as though some are playing "out of character". Even if their a pro style offense they will continuously run no huddle.

2. Is it possible to make the CPU pay attention to fatigue and huddle up to give their players a breath or two so we won't have to see unorthodox formation packages?

3. And I've also seen a HB lead a no huddle drive in a game against UConn. The only thing that gave him away as a skill position player was his gloves, other than that he was marching them down the field thru the air with ease. I know the CPU's QB was on the field but he was split out wide the entire drive.

Thanks for reading and again if this is in the wrong area please do what is necessary.

Ray
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2010, 05:34 AM   #2
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: CPU No Huddle Logic

I get what you're saying in some cases.

I would be interested to know what teams with pro-style playbooks you have seen using no-huddle regularly and consistently.

It should also be worth noting that pro-style offenses will actually run no-huddle. It's just generally used as a 2-minute offense, not so much an entire game strategy.

As to the fatigue, I think the game gets a couple things wrong here. From what I've seen from the no huddle when implemented as a full game strategy... the game isn't necessarily sped up. The time between the end of the last play and the beginning of the next isn't always decreased just because a team didn't huddle...for that matter, some teams can get in and out of the huddle in a matter of seconds. So if the amount of time between plays remains consistent, the rate at which players fatigue should remain consistent, whether or not they're huddling. There are definitely times when the no huddle teams hurry it up though.

Beyond that though... generally speaking the players that play on these no-huddle hurry up teams go through training differently. A little extra time and attention is put specifically toward stamina. Moreover, the defensive players fatigue at the same rate (if not moreso) than the offensive players.

As for the personnel lists, first off... 1 QB, 1 HB, 4 TE, 2 WR is too many personnel, but I understand what you're saying. Keep in mind that some teams may only have one fullback so their back-up is a TE. Additionally, I don't have that much of a problem with a TE lining up as a slot WR if he's a decent receiving TE. In fact, there are formations that line the TE up as more of a slot WR. I also don't have a problem with a team lining up in Ace Big (2 WR, 2 TE, 1 HB) then no-huddling up an Ace Spread (normally 4 WR 1 HB), etc. No huddling from a 5-wide to a goal line and vice versa is a bit silly though, but don't think I've seen this...
Old 07-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43

Duke uses a Pro Style and they No Huddled the entire game.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
As for the personnel lists, first off... 1 QB, 1 HB, 4 TE, 2 WR is too many personnel, but I understand what you're saying. Keep in mind that some teams may only have one fullback so their back-up is a TE. Additionally, I don't have that much of a problem with a TE lining up as a slot WR if he's a decent receiving TE. In fact, there are formations that line the TE up as more of a slot WR. I also don't have a problem with a team lining up in Ace Big (2 WR, 2 TE, 1 HB) then no-huddling up an Ace Spread (normally 4 WR 1 HB), etc. No huddling from a 5-wide to a goal line and vice versa is a bit silly though, but don't think I've seen this...
I've seen the crazy personnel lists. I'm guessing they auto the depth chart, having the same 2 linemen be backups for every position. Then the TEs get subbed in as linemen, leading to crazy personnel lists.

And I've seen 4 WR sets no huddle into the goal line. Not 5, but it would happen on here.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Old 07-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
If you've played a no huddle team, then you've seen personnel packages like this. Here are some of the packages I saw in just the 1st half against TAMU:
QBHBFBWRTEDT
12-221
11-33
11-32

Note that all of those are too many people. What's happening is that the team is exhausting their starting O-line and backup O-line. Once they use them all up, they start subbing in TEs and DTs for their O-line. Once they use up their WRs, they'll sub in CBs @ wideout too.

College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
Rookie

jdefreitas's Arena

OVR: 3

Duke no huddled the entire game against me in both my first and second year in my dynasty with BC. They are actually pretty tough and their qb is pretty good. They consistently put up points on me and the first time I played them I had to win on a hail mary pass with 10 seconds left in the 4th to pull ahead by 1. Crazy... Duke, really???

And Jello, I second your point. I've seen some teams exhaust their lines and have 3 cbs in on offense along with the rest of the usual personnel. I thought I was seein' things at first when I saw that, thank god others are seeing it to.

Last edited by jdefreitas; 07-28-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #7
Rookie

CrossTown's Arena

OVR: 1

I noticed the strange personnel first day but I didn't quite connect it to the no huddle and fatigue till a few games later.

Having DTs and a load of TEs on the field and having them come out in a 4 or 5 wide set is just ridiculous.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #8

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Has anyone messed around with the coach slider setting to fix this?

COACH GEEZY IN THE BIG EASY PART III: LEGACY | FROM BOURBON ST. TO THE BAYOU

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »