Home

anyone else hate the icing the kicker feature

This is a discussion on anyone else hate the icing the kicker feature within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2010, 01:38 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: anyone else hate the icing the kicker feature

I like the feature. Icing the kicker works in real life whether you want to belive it or not. I iced a guy in an online match and he made it to tie the game, I then got a lucky break with a good kickoff return, then I got in FG range with 2 seconds left and he iced me right back and I made the 40 yarder by probably 3 inches. Adds so much excitement and anxiety at the same time.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

I'm referring to anything. I've never noticed anything different after the CPU or someone calls a timeout. I remember in Madden the FG meter would change to ice and the kicking angle would change drastically and from reading this thread it appears something like that is in NCAA 11 but i've never seen it.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:21 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I like the feature. Icing the kicker works in real life whether you want to belive it or not.
in real life i dont believe you can say it works or not, if you call a timeout and the kickers misses the kick you dont know if he would have missed it anyway. it adds excitement and anxiety but not realism in my opinion, to me its no different than turning your head 90 degrees and attempting to make a kick out of the corner of your eye.

you cant have kickers routinely booting the ball into the endzone and easily hitting 50 yarders and then suddenly its difficult for them to get their leg into something thats well within their range because a timeout was called. kickers shank kicks but youre not going to see them fall short on fg's well within their range very often.

this is specifically about icing the kicker, not necessarily last second kicks because i think you can ice kickers even in the first half. at the same time i dont agree with an angle change at any time, sure it brings more anxiety in excitement than a regular kick, but why stop there lets bring the 4th and goal at the 5 with 1 second left down by 4 down to field level and your screen partially iced over. making the kickers worse and having a more challenging kicker meter is the solution, that will make a late game field goal more challenging because of your own nerves, not because of a different angle on your screen. this is a cheap gimmick.

ODogg yeah its pretty much the same
Old 08-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #28
MVP

Pokes404's Arena

OVR: 10

I for one like the feature, but I've always thought that camera angle should come up automatically for pressure situations. It shouldn't really matter if the CPU calls a time out or not. If it's an important kick, you should get the controller vibration and camera angle by default because it makes it feel like a more dramatic moment and ups the difficulty a bit.

I know some people don't think calling time outs does anything, but I think it does (BTW this isn't aimed at you ActLikeYouCrow because you're just saying it can't be quantified, not that it doesn't have an effect. I'm just speaking in general). Naturally, it depends on the person. Some people just aren't bothered by pressure as much as others. But I can tell you, as an avid golfer, one of the cardinal sins in golf is standing over a shot for too long. The longer you wait to hit a shot the more thoughts that go through your head and the more difficult it is to keep your focus. You want to be able to step up, run through your pre-shot routine, and hit the ball in rhythm. It's the same for kickers. The longer you have to think about something, the harder it becomes. That's not to say you'll always hit a bad shot or miss a field goal if it happens, but it definitely makes it harder.

What would really be hard is if you got "iced" by the CPU, you had to kick the field goal with the old-school meter instead of the analog stick. Pressure filled situation using something that you've never had any practice with ... that would be brutal. lol

Last edited by Pokes404; 08-02-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:42 PM   #29

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

What is this icing animation people are talking about?

COACH GEEZY IN THE BIG EASY PART III: LEGACY | FROM BOURBON ST. TO THE BAYOU
Old 08-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 6

Anything to make it more difficult. With Georgia's kicker on Heisman I can hit anything. My farthest I've attempted so far is 58 yards but I easily cleared it. I'm wondering if I can hit 60 yards with Walsh.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:49 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Deegeezy, i'd like to know as well, i've never seen any icing animations or anything like that....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2010, 03:13 PM   #32
Rookie

cbc72's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deegeezy
So this is why the camera angle on some field goals is so weird? I never realized that.

I knew icing the kicker was in the game but I always just thought that it did something to the players' ratings through "composure."
I had the same thought on the camera angle. Especially because it seems to come up at weird times. Like why am I kicking this extra point with the view of a cameraman standing at field level 80 yards behind me? Oh, well. Pull back, push, Extra Point is Good.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »