Home

Disguising coverages and the AI

This is a discussion on Disguising coverages and the AI within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2010, 06:53 AM   #1
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Disguising coverages and the AI

Does disguising your coverages actually work against the AI this year? Against other players I generally start the game blitzing often but once the blitz is in the guys head I call more cover 2 & 3 but I still show blitz by bringing everyone to the line. My opponent would think blitz and still feel rushed and make a bad pass right into coverage. Now my guess is that this is ineffective against the AI, but does anyone know for sure?

Another example is hiding where the blitz is coming from. Against a human opponent this works well. Lets say I come out in Nickel normal. I shift the line and the LBs to the right and make the guy think overload blitz so he shifts his line protection, but I end up blitzing the NB from the left. Would that work against the AI?

So does disguising coverages and "getting into the head" of the AI team work?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
Boom!!

J-Unit40's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Disguising coverages and the AI

I always wondered this as well. I would love to believe that it does, but I have a gut feeling that it really doesn't.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
MVP

Senator Palmer's Arena

OVR: 18

I have seeen a bit of anecdotal evidence that it has some effect. Yesterday in a Play Now against USC I blitzed Matt Barkley three straight downs and got some hits on him. On 3rd and 2 I call a Buzz Duo and showed blitz. At the snap, everyone drops into coverage and he hurries the throw, missing a wide open stick route to the TE over the middle.

I think it has a lot to do with the QBs awareness and, probably more important, their levels. If a guy is in the zone and has a red level then good luck.

I can't speak for long term effect, as the CPU will play to the end, but that play really stuck out to me. I'll be on the lookout to see if it happens regularly. I wish there was a mechanic to do more to disguise coverage other than show blitz.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Banned

NaptownMVP's Arena

OVR: 3

I doubt it, but one thing I have noticed is that if you don't do what the play art tells you to do, it's more effective. For example, if I manually blitz a LB who is supposed to drop into coverage, I get to the QB much more effectively. Also, if I drop a LB or defensive lineman who is supposed to rush, I usually am right in on knocking a pass down or tackling a RB for a loss.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #5
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42

It helps, not sure what guys are seeing to say it doesn't. Maybe you're not using the presnap adjustments enough.

After I have blitzed a lot on a team I'll show blitz and drop off in zone and the QB will sail the ball out of panic (moreso if it's a poorly rated QB).

Showing man when it's not also helps if you've played man a lot.

You can't just show blitz and expect it to work. You have to actually blitz enough before it can work to fake it. Kind of like it works in real life...who woulda thought?
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »