Home

Progression Idea

This is a discussion on Progression Idea within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Progression Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiehm
that's how it should be. The more you play, the better you become, your awareness and ability should increase.

Off season training helps strength, and speed. It helps the kick power and accuracy.
Awareness should increase from playing time but many other skills are going to be increased from practice and training. A freshman who ends up starting all season should get a huge AWR spike but if he rushes for 2000 yards, that doesn't automatically mean all his abilities should go up, particularly if he's already near his potential cap.

The game should give the ability on what to practice each week and how to spend training time in the offseason so positional skills, speed/strength or awareness can be increased. We also need some insight into the player's potential cap...but you don't know until you have him in camp, like in Head Coach. Perhaps, though, with a lot of playing time a potential cap can be raised and with lack of playing time or poor training, a player's potential cap drops.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
Banned

NaptownMVP's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrobeast
The game should give the ability on what to practice each week
This is a big no way from me. I already hate weekly recruiting. This one thing was the biggest turnoff for me in Madden 10.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:29 AM   #11
MVP

OVR: 9

someone may have already brought this up and i hate to be the guy who brings up another game without knowing how that was implemented and trying to tie it to another sport. in fifa they have the player ratings for each match. they dont necessarily have to show this in ncaa, but i'd like to see those kind of skill and experience points handed out. that way you dont have an average qb's ratings boost through the ceiling because of the teammates around him. making the right decisions, difficulty of those decisions, if you throw a 80 yard td on a perfect throw you get more ratings points than if youre throwing screens and your receivers make all the plays.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 6

Exactly, ratings should go up and down each game based on performance and training.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
Rookie

jenglund's Arena

OVR: 7

I agree that awareness and other "abstract" skills should increase with performance, like stamina or something. (Maybe injury rating goes down with more reps?)

Most freshmen, even 5*, could have high skills, but low awareness that only gets significantly better with playing time. But with that said, I often wonder if awareness is making much of an impact in the games I'm playing.

I swear I remember an older version of NCAA where skills would increase with playing time; that's when I made a concerted effort to get my 2nd string guys some reps through formation subs. Was that on all the last gen games, or am I just making this up?

I think there should be in-season progression, but a point or two here and there.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #14
Banned

NaptownMVP's Arena

I know Madden's progression on last gen was stat driven (and I think this gen, too)
Old 08-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #15
Rookie

I believe that Madden's was based on age and potential only.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2010, 04:46 PM   #16
Rookie

Cubs017's Arena

OVR: 2

It can't be just stats/performance - that's too easy to manipulate the game. If you play all scrub teams and rack up 1200 yards with a 74 OVR RB, does he deserve to jump up to a 93? What if you're playing on freshman difficulty? What if he gets those yards because he gets a lot of carries and you have a dominant offensive line? It just seems like it would be too easy to take lowly recruits and make them into superstars. Stats DO NOT reflect true ability. The guys who put up the best stats are rarely the most physically gifted players in the country.

That's actually what I'd like to see - more of an emphasis on rating players based upon their actual talent. For example, a guy like Tebow gets a 99 OVR even if he's not really the best passer in the country. Alabama's players get bumped up so they can have an A+ defense. Why? For sim stats, not because they're actually that talented.

Last edited by Cubs017; 08-02-2010 at 04:49 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »