Home

What does awareness affect?

This is a discussion on What does awareness affect? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #25
Pro

EvanRG's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: What does awareness affect?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ovr
I just don't get how programmers of the game can be so unsure about what the ratings do...how do these guys not know EXACTLY what ratings do when they are so important to the gameplay?

Makes you really think that only a few ratings matter (speed/str/acc/agi) and the rest are window dressing...

Might be time to do some tests.
Probably because they program hundreds of thousands of lines of code with hundreds if not thousands of different formulas to decide the outcome of different situations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicesharks
When editing a player. increasing awareness gives them a huge boost - and it is for all players. If ii does not do much for the majority of players, why would it increase a players OVR so drastically?

On a similar note, if AWR is a somewhat useless stat, why not increase it on recruits to boost overall OVR for teams where they can stay similar to how they started? Either it has to do more than was reported or it is useless and currently going to waste since it seem to have one small ability of inflating OVR without actually doing much.
I don't know about the "inflating" overall part, but it definitely has an impact on the OVR. Also consider how putting players out of position in the depth chart penalizes them like 20-30 or more in the AWR category. Maybe just to keep their OVR below most backups at those positions, but we're ALL speculating at this point.

My understanding of AWR was kinda similar to what Playmakers said... that it's like a "modifier" of sorts... not totally like composure from the last-gen but in a way similar in the ability to "focus" on each play... just a way of quantifying the mental aspect that helps one of our virtual recruits be a complete football player
Old 08-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzdwfy
This is a pretty interesting thread. Ive been looking at awareness all this time when I really should have been looking at only MCV and play recognition.

However, I could have swore that Ian Cummings talked about how awareness is used for receivers and cornerbacks to react to the ball when it is in the air. It makes sense based off of what I see in the game but Russ Kinry did have a hand in the programming logic so now Im just confused...lol
I've edited awareness for the past 4 years in NCAA and anyone who has used the roster file can vouch that the game plays mush better when players have higher awareness

In fact EA didn't start increasing the awareness of the Offensive Line until this year and now you see them making better blocks down field....

I belive there was a misunderstanding as to what the original EA rep was stating regarding awareness because other wise why would they increase awareness accross the boards in this years game for most starters on each team?

I had been giving a high awareness rating to the starters for years and not this year EA just boosted up the awareness of players from each school when in years past those players would have 60 or 70 awareness even as SR's and JR's

I think awareness in NCAA operates just like it does in Madden.....lower Peyton Manning's awareness in Madden down to 40 and then come back and tell me how he performs on the field in your next game of Madden.

I gurantee you he'll be throwing tons of picks right away...

Same thing with Andre Johnson lower his awareness down to 40 and he'll drop more passes or won't even be in position to make the catch as often as he does with a high awareness

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14

Last edited by Playmakers; 08-05-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 1

Maybe it has to do with how much a player understands the game ie a running back with 99 awr will be aware of a player trying to strip the ball from behind therefore holding the ball with 2 hands...or the wr jumping to catch the ball may position his body better becuz he is aware of where the DB is..
Old 08-05-2010, 05:05 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Earlier I mentioned RBK and PBK (Run Block and Pass Block) were used more for the sim logic. I looked a little more into it and even though they are more used in Sim logic, they are also used in game. So, to clear it up, RBK and PBK are used to help get into position to block and how long the block will be held. RBS, RBF, PBS, PBF are used to determine if a move by the defender will be successful.

The link from NCAA strategies doesn't work anymore....but a few months back a EA QA guy stated most these ratings were more effected by SIM mode.....I'll try to look up that old link again from NCAA strategies but it appears some ratings more important for simming games while others like awareness effects the game on the field when being playing

There are a couple of guys from the old ncaa strategies site that confirm what the EA QA guy stated a few months back before NCAA 11 was released. They started posting over at this site now

TheGamingTailgate.com

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 08-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #30
Pro

thbends's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker21
i know 1 for sure.. sim stats...

ingame.. maybe passing? but thatīs a guessing.

Exactly. 100% agree and that is all it effects. So if you are going to play every game with a team AWR means NOTHING at all. I repeat NOTHING at all.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #31
7 dirty words...

ryan36's Arena

OVR: 36

It'd be AWESOME if they put an in-game help screen with what ratings are and who they apply to !!!!!!!!!!

...and yes I had to bookmark the smilies page 2 days ago to find the light bulb
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #32
Pro

thbends's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barnacle
Awareness effects more "IN" gameplay than just QB play. I read what he said, but after lots of simming and watching cpu vs cpu game with updated rosters I know for a fact that Awareness affects how player perform on field.
Uh.. ok.. You know for a fact huh. so don't believe the guy who helped MAKE the game. You know better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »