Home

What does awareness affect?

This is a discussion on What does awareness affect? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-05-2010, 06:45 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: What does awareness affect?

I think that awr affects user controlled qbs when you are playing on the road in that the lower the qb's awr, the greater the chance that you will not be able to see what button corresponds to what receiver when you do the presnap view of the routes. Instead of the button being shown, a question mark is shown. This happens when the opposing crowd is fired up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2010, 07:06 PM   #42
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
From Ian a while back:

Awareness:

Ian: Great question. In order to answer this best, I just did a full search in the code for the rating. Here are the areas in which AWR is used:

How quickly a defender can realize the ball is in the air to try and make a play
Chance to jump offsides or false start
Whether a defender tries to scoop-n-score or falls on a fumble in the correct situations
How quickly receivers get into “get open” mode after a route (and where they go)
Chance the WR recognizes the coverage & picks the “correct” option on an option route
How quickly OL can recognize and pick up new blitzing defenders
Chance for QB to predict a blitz and assign a hot route
When a QB will choose to tuck and run (scramble) if nothing is open
Chance a defender will try to strip the ball on a ballcarrier with bad carrying ratings
Chance a defender will attempt to get his hands up to tip a ball while engaged

Other ratings, basically rendering RBK, PBK and BTK useless:

Ratings Breakdown?

- Elusiveness: Replacement for "break tackle" rating when choosing what type of broken tackle animations to play. Also modifies the window and success of breaking "elusive style" tackles (jukes & spins) with our new "break out of tackles" feature for 09.*

- Trucking: Replacement for "break tackle" rating when choosing what type of broken tackle animations to play. Also modifies the window and success of breaking "power style" tackles (stiff arm & truck) with our new "break out of tackles" feature for 09.

- Toughness: When injuries are calculated, determines severity of injury (if at all). So higher toughness means less likelihood of severe injuries. Also speeds up recovery of injury in Franchise mode.

- Importance: Used only in Trade Logic...teams are much less likely to trade away "Important" players.*

- Pass Block Strength: Replacement for general "Pass Block" rating when choosing to win or lose while pass blocking. PB Strength determines how well the player performs when the defender is performing power moves against him.*

- Pass Block Footwork: Replacement for general "Pass Block" rating when choosing to win or lose while pass blocking. PB Footwork determines how well the player performs when the defender is performing finesse moves against him. Scales the speed of initial moves at the snap, as well as the distance of kickout pass block initial moves.*

- Run Block Strength: Replacement for general "Run Block" rating when choosing to win or lose while run blocking. RB Strength determines how well they can succeed in locking up a defender while run blocking.*

- Run Block Footwork: Replacement for general "Run Block" rating when choosing to win or lose while run blocking. RB Footwork determines how well they can succeed in pushing a defender while run blocking. Also scales the speed of initial moves.*

- Block Shedding: Defensive rating on how well defenders can "shed" blocks when in the open field (i.e. in pursuit of the ballcarrier)

- Impact Blocking: Offensive rating on how well blockers can pancake (or block normally) when in the open field - mainly special teams, turnover returns, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
Palo just shut it down
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzdwfy
Thanks Palo... Now I can really work on my sliders
That appears to be a comment on Madden, as NCAA does not have Importance or Toughness ratings.

Now, the two games are extremely similar and maybe everything applies exactly to NCAA...but just take it all with a grain of salt, because that is some guy looking at Madden code answering questions about Madden attributes.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:11 PM   #43
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by thbends
Uh.. ok.. You know for a fact huh. so don't believe the guy who helped MAKE the game. You know better.
So then in Madden when it says Peyton Manning is the highest rated QB in awareness that means nothing right?

I find it hard to believe that Awarness in NCAA means nothing and on Madden it means everything

Unless EA's developers have two seperate agenda's I'm going to assume awareness in NCAA functions the same way it does in Madden.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 08-05-2010, 07:16 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palo20
From Ian a while back:

Awareness:

Ian: Great question. In order to answer this best, I just did a full search in the code for the rating. Here are the areas in which AWR is used:

How quickly a defender can realize the ball is in the air to try and make a play
Chance to jump offsides or false start
Whether a defender tries to scoop-n-score or falls on a fumble in the correct situations
How quickly receivers get into “get open” mode after a route (and where they go)
Chance the WR recognizes the coverage & picks the “correct” option on an option route
How quickly OL can recognize and pick up new blitzing defenders
Chance for QB to predict a blitz and assign a hot route
When a QB will choose to tuck and run (scramble) if nothing is open
Chance a defender will try to strip the ball on a ballcarrier with bad carrying ratings
Chance a defender will attempt to get his hands up to tip a ball while engaged

Thank you.....

These are all the things I've seen in NCAA when giving players a higher awareness ratings on my roster files the last 2-3 years.

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 08-05-2010, 07:36 PM   #45
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
That appears to be a comment on Madden, as NCAA does not have Importance or Toughness ratings.

Now, the two games are extremely similar and maybe everything applies exactly to NCAA...but just take it all with a grain of salt, because that is some guy looking at Madden code answering questions about Madden attributes.
I'll take it as both games work the same way other than a few ratings they don't share.

Last edited by Palo20; 08-05-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-05-2010, 07:39 PM   #46
MVP

PrettyT11's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul allen
I think that awr affects user controlled qbs when you are playing on the road in that the lower the qb's awr, the greater the chance that you will not be able to see what button corresponds to what receiver when you do the presnap view of the routes. Instead of the button being shown, a question mark is shown. This happens when the opposing crowd is fired up.
No AWR has very little to nothing to do with that. What controls that is what year your QB is. You can create a freshman QB with 99AWR and go play at Florida and you won't be able to see your routes and half of your WR icons will be ? marks.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:41 PM   #47
MVP

OVR: 19

This is very funny.
We ask Dev's to answer our ?'s, and when they do, folks are still not satisfied.

Russ stated, as one who helped build the game, what AWR did for "NCAA FOOTBALL", not Madden. Everybody has to be an "Expert" because they've done/tested this or that in their homes. But I guess he doesn't know what he is talking about, huh?

Some of you guys just try too hard and read too much into things.

This should be LOCKED or DELETED!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 12:26 AM   #48
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

I'm fairly certain that AWR matters for more than the DEVs have stated.

I've been unsatisfied with the diversity of coverages and blitzes in the default dime defense, so I thought about constructing a scheme that involved coming out in Dime and audibling down to 4-3 in passing situations (setting up some of the coverages I couldn't get in Dime as audibles). The problem is that corners subbed in at LB have really low AWR ratings. If the EA Devs are correct then this shouldn't matter, but if you test it out, you'll see that they miss tackles and play poorly in coverage, much moreso than they do if you come out in a dime formation where they are in at CB.

Theoretically, if AWR doesn't matter, then a CB in man coverage or blitz should play the exact same way whether the game thinks he's playing LB or CB. But that's not the case.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »