Home

Osborne-esque Nebraska playbook?

This is a discussion on Osborne-esque Nebraska playbook? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-06-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 3
Osborne-esque Nebraska playbook?

Ok I know this is asked every year, but with the playbooks being slightly different this year figured I would ask to see if anyone has done their homework. (and thus mine for me)

Nebraska is my team obviously and so I have been toying with the idea ,like I do most years of NCAA, of running the Holy Grail Pinnacle of Nebraska offenses, T.O.'s 93-97ish offense.

Any ideas on what playbook comes closest to it? And please dont say Georgia Tech. It doesnt.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Osborne-esque Nebraska playbook?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfRed75
Ok I know this is asked every year, but with the playbooks being slightly different this year figured I would ask to see if anyone has done their homework. (and thus mine for me)

Nebraska is my team obviously and so I have been toying with the idea ,like I do most years of NCAA, of running the Holy Grail Pinnacle of Nebraska offenses, T.O.'s 93-97ish offense.

Any ideas on what playbook comes closest to it? And please dont say Georgia Tech. It doesnt.
I am guessing that you are looking for some I form option stuff? Then the option run playbook is good if that is all you want to run. If you want to do that and spread the ball around some as well then give Wake Forests a look.

For tips on how to run this I form Option watch my I Form Option vid

http://www.youtube.com/user/Welcome2.../8/UsBECjYmaAw

This offense RAPES
Old 08-06-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

The generic one is good, but if you prefer a team's playbook you should look at Air Force.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:35 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 9

Air Force is the closest in terms of the entire offense. Lots of I formations, option in all of them. Later in the Osborne-era, especially his last three seasons, we ended up calling about 30% of plays out of a one back look. Air Force has a few one back formations to replicate that. It also has a few gun looks to use, all with option. I think the Goal Line formation has wishbone too. That is the closest if you are looking to truly replicate.

Now if you're looking to modernize it, Wake Forest is probably your best bet. 5 I, all with option looks, a Wishbone which is one of my favorite formations and a lot of good shotgun.

The Option Run book isn't bad, but be sure your option is going to work because passing out of it is brutal.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #5
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHusker25
Air Force is the closest in terms of the entire offense. Lots of I formations, option in all of them. Later in the Osborne-era, especially his last three seasons, we ended up calling about 30% of plays out of a one back look. Air Force has a few one back formations to replicate that. It also has a few gun looks to use, all with option. I think the Goal Line formation has wishbone too. That is the closest if you are looking to truly replicate.

Now if you're looking to modernize it, Wake Forest is probably your best bet. 5 I, all with option looks, a Wishbone which is one of my favorite formations and a lot of good shotgun.

The Option Run book isn't bad, but be sure your option is going to work because passing out of it is brutal.

TX is right. Airforce is great but I cannot get a passing game going with it. Why?

I am not really sure. But, maybe you will have some luck with it
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
Rookie

MrBlonde21's Arena

OVR: 6

I agree with the above posters, especially re: Air Force for a down n dirty run game. A fun playbook that I found that has a good option game is Tulane; it also has the infamous I Formation - Y Trips..

"WR for Michigan John Doe beat Usain Bolt in a parking lot at the Food Lion by the school so clearly he should be a 99" won't be taken in to consideration
- CWSapp757
Old 08-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaticus
TX is right. Airforce is great but I cannot get a passing game going with it. Why?

I am not really sure. But, maybe you will have some luck with it
It is tough because throwing out of the I is not an easy proposition. A lot of the pass plays just don't work and so you are limited to calling a handful of plays. Play action doesn't work all that well so you can't take many PA shots deep.

The Ace formations aren't the best in that playbook either, so you are almost forced to throw from the gun, which is limited. I like throwing from Flexbone, but your backs better be able to catch the football or you're screwed.

That is kind of why I like Wake's book, you've got your option and power run looks and then you've got a lot of gun to sling it. But of course, that isn't very Osborne-esque

I would personally just start with Air Force and then see what happens. Hopefully you don't have to pass, but if you do, learn some of the quick pass plays in Flex.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:41 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

Nothing in the game really is that close to TO's Offense, they ran lots of option, but not any true triple option under TO. The QB called the FB dive from the huddle if it was going to be ran. There's lots of good info on it if you go looking.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »