Home

Anyone else as sick and tired of batted balls by the line and lbs are I am?

This is a discussion on Anyone else as sick and tired of batted balls by the line and lbs are I am? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2010, 02:50 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Anyone else as sick and tired of batted balls by the line and lbs are I am?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartans11
Just had one that made me quit a game. First one I've played post tuner and seems like theres less, but it's not cured. DL was 7 yards away from QB, pass was a bomb down the middle to a wide open receiver who was 30 yards away at the time of throw and going away. Superman pushes OL away flys in the air for 5 minutes, tips pass, interception, game over.

Also, on defense, I noticed when I switch to a guy after a pass is thrown, he stops momentarily and the CPU guy runs away...anyone else seen this?
I have. To the point where I don't bother taking over DBs until after a catch
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2010, 03:02 PM   #26
Pro

FedExPope's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost33
The reality is, the pump fake does nothing.
heh yea, I pretty much do it just to be cute. Given how DBs mirror routes, I never see a pump fake do a damn thing. Except give the pass rush a sitting duck, just like what happens when I run PA plays.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:29 PM   #27
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

I have tips all the time too. The REAL problem isnt linebackers jumping so high (well, that too), its that they can do so without ever crouching or gathering themselves. Watch a linebacker jump. They never bend their knees or take any time to prepare for the leap. They basically begin to hover 3 feet in the air. If they had to crouch a bit first like they do in real life you would see much more missed swat attempts due to being late on the jump.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:44 PM   #28
Rookie

jmmista's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Just had one that made me quit a game. First one I've played post tuner and seems like theres less, but it's not cured. DL was 7 yards away from QB, pass was a bomb down the middle to a wide open receiver who was 30 yards away at the time of throw and going away. Superman pushes OL away flys in the air for 5 minutes, tips pass, interception, game over.

Also, on defense, I noticed when I switch to a guy after a pass is thrown, he stops momentarily and the CPU guy runs away...anyone else seen this?
My batted balls normally occur when I have a man wide open 30-40 yds down field and the pass should easily go over the lineman, but somehow they manage to jump while being blocked, and hang in the air long enough to swat it down, or just barely tip it. It frustrates the hell out of me because its not realistic!
Old 08-08-2010, 03:47 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Take your left hand completely off the controller when you switch and the DB will continue to run normally. All you need to do is switch to him and hit the pick/swat button, as he'll run normally.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #30
MVP

gator3guy's Arena

OVR: 11

It seems to "fix" pass coverage this year, EA decided to have DB's run the receivers routes, have DL/LB's be able to swat down any pass within a 15 foot radius, and have receivers drop balls that look more like fumbles the contact was so late. I don't know why they didn't really go over the fundamentals of coverage. This has been the achilles heal of this franchise on next gen IMO. I hope pass coverage is the number 1 priority for 12.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:05 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedExPope
heh yea, I pretty much do it just to be cute. Given how DBs mirror routes, I never see a pump fake do a damn thing. Except give the pass rush a sitting duck, just like what happens when I run PA plays.
I'd say the pump fake works about 20-25% of the time on only one DB though, so you have to be lucky enough to be looking at that part of the screen cause your guy will only be open for a second before the DB recovers. Your right, the DL and LB's never bite on the pump. I'd like to see the DL bite every now and then by jumping up to block the throw only to get pushed to the ground giving you an open lane.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2010, 04:12 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 15

I do think it's ridiculous for the LB to ever swat down balls when he's 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage. I mean... if the QB is standing 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage in the pocket... MAYBE a D-Line can swat it, even if he's somewhat far from the QB... but think about it... if a QB is 5 yards behind the line and throwing to a WR who is 15 yards past, that's a 20 yard throw. If it's a 6'6" QB throwing to a 6'2" WR who is going to catch it at LEAST at the height from which the QB threw it from most of the time (and sometimes even higher).

With no arch, a real perfect bullet pass, the 6'0"ish LB would still likely have to jump to swat it, though he could maybe almost reach it without jumping. But look at it...

LOS is the 25. QB is on the 20. LB is on the 30. WR is on the 40.

The LB is standing at the highest point of the balls path. If the QB releases it at the right time, the ball is right about head level... so the ball starts at 6'6". Gravity will pull the ball down some, depending on how hard it is thrown (the more time in the air, the more effect gravity has on it), so the QB has to arch it some, because the WR is going to catch it at about the same height it was thrown.

I'm only speculating, but I imagine that as the ball crosses the 30 yard line, at its highest point in its path, where the LB swats it... it's at least 10 feet in the air. At least. We're talking about QB's with elite arm strength. Like, Ryan Mallet arm strength. Other QBs with average arm strength might throw the ball as high as 15 feet at its peak.

So, at 10 feet at the apex, where the LB stands... is this impossible to swat down? Certainly not. I mean, it's the height of a basketball goal. I'm 6'3" and completely unathletic, yet I can jump up and get a hand on a basketball goal. I can't dunk, but I can certainly touch the rim...and that's all the height needed to tip the ball at 10 feet. A linebacker is certainly more athletic than I am, and they definitely work on leg strength, if for no other reason than to become better, more powerful tacklers.

The thing is though... when Ryan Mallet throws that football, or anyone else, that is only 10 feet at its apex, how hard does he have to throw it to give it a 3.5 foot arch over 60 feet? [I could actually do the math to see if this is even in the realm of realism, because when I look at it like that, it seems the ball should certainly be higher than 10 feet in the air...but I'm lazy.] Really, really hard.

The question isn't really whether or not the LB can jump this high on this pass so much as can he time his jump appropriately given how fast the ball passes through the area he should be able to swat it down at?

In this specific scenario, I think it should certainly happen...but it should be rare.

The farther apart the WR and QB get, the less likely the swat by a linebacker should be, as the ball is significantly higher than 10 feet as it passes the linebacker, even if he's not standing at the apex.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »