Home

Multiple D?

This is a discussion on Multiple D? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2010, 08:11 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 16
Multiple D?

Hey all, I was about to start an Ole Miss dynasty. I noticed that they run a Multiple Defense. Which I know nothing about.

A few questions:

1. When should I call a specific formation? For example when should I call a 3-4? or a 4-3? Or a 46?

2. What kind of players do I need to recruit?

Thanks in advance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoCo-LINEBACKER-
Yes, theyre are, healthy people to, not the obese kind.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: Multiple D?

Well, it depends on what type of players you have. For example, with run stopping OLBs, I usually call a 3-3-5 when it's 4 or 5 wide. However, if you have coverage OLBs, you have more freedom and can use the 3-4 and 4-6. So really, I have no answer, as it depends on your players' strengths and weaknesses.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:52 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahbaby123
Hey all, I was about to start an Ole Miss dynasty. I noticed that they run a Multiple Defense. Which I know nothing about.

A few questions:

1. When should I call a specific formation? For example when should I call a 3-4? or a 4-3? Or a 46?

2. What kind of players do I need to recruit?

Thanks in advance!
I personally wouldn't run Multiple D because none of the formations are as developed as they are in their parent book (43, 34, etc). If you are set on being true to life, I will let you know how I ran it a few years ago.

The bottom line for recruiting is that you want linebackers, lots of them.

Your defensive ends should be run stoppers, I personally just recruited defensive tackles and ran a 3 DT front in the 3-4 and then put the #2's at DE and DT on my depth chart as defensive ends. So I could use my DL Sub package in 4-3 to have a 4 DE front, which Bo Pelini used extensively on 3rd down at LSU.

Your OLB's should be either fast DE's or big OLB's, at worst, get one of this type of player and play him on the short side on the field. The most important attribute here is tackling, with power/finesse moves being important as well.

At MLB, I personally put large strong safeties at MLB since I only used them in coverage. Think the New Mexico Lobo-back system that Urlacher ran a long time ago. A big safety that just roams all over.

Corners and safeties should be recruited as normal, preference on coverage.

What I would end up with would be three packages, all able to be run via package changes on the formation screen.

My base formation for 3-4 was:

CB-FS-SS-CB
OLB-SS*-SS*-MLB/OLB1
DT-DT-DT

My base formation for 4-3 was actually my "Quick" Package (using LB Pass Rush package in game):

CB-FS-SS-CB
ROLB2-SS*-LOLB2
OLB1-DT-DT-MLB/OLB1

I then had an Express package for both, using DLine Sub:

CB-FS-SS-CB
OLB-SS*-SS*-MLB/OLB
DE-DE-DE

CB-FS-SS-CB
OLB-SS*-MLB/OLB
DE-DE-DT-DE

I know this all sounds insanely complicated and I'm sorry for that, it got a little out of control since this is a very complicated D to run if you want to make it useful.

The bottom line is that you want to recruit a lot of linebackers, either converted from DE or Safety or just good solid LBs. I ran 3-4 as my primary defense, especially for run stopping which seems silly but it worked out. My 4-3 was actually my quick pass rush look with my LB's down at DE, so it was almost a 2-5-4 look. For obvious passing downs, I would run Nickel 335 or Dime with my Express package in, all DE's across the D-Line.

Let me know if I need to clarify that, it started to run on, sorry lol
Old 08-09-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHusker25
I personally wouldn't run Multiple D because none of the formations are as developed as they are in their parent book (43, 34, etc). If you are set on being true to life, I will let you know how I ran it a few years ago.

The bottom line for recruiting is that you want linebackers, lots of them.

Your defensive ends should be run stoppers, I personally just recruited defensive tackles and ran a 3 DT front in the 3-4 and then put the #2's at DE and DT on my depth chart as defensive ends. So I could use my DL Sub package in 4-3 to have a 4 DE front, which Bo Pelini used extensively on 3rd down at LSU.

Your OLB's should be either fast DE's or big OLB's, at worst, get one of this type of player and play him on the short side on the field. The most important attribute here is tackling, with power/finesse moves being important as well.

At MLB, I personally put large strong safeties at MLB since I only used them in coverage. Think the New Mexico Lobo-back system that Urlacher ran a long time ago. A big safety that just roams all over.

Corners and safeties should be recruited as normal, preference on coverage.

What I would end up with would be three packages, all able to be run via package changes on the formation screen.

My base formation for 3-4 was:

CB-FS-SS-CB
OLB-SS*-SS*-MLB/OLB1
DT-DT-DT

My base formation for 4-3 was actually my "Quick" Package (using LB Pass Rush package in game):

CB-FS-SS-CB
ROLB2-SS*-LOLB2
OLB1-DT-DT-MLB/OLB1

I then had an Express package for both, using DLine Sub:

CB-FS-SS-CB
OLB-SS*-SS*-MLB/OLB
DE-DE-DE

CB-FS-SS-CB
OLB-SS*-MLB/OLB
DE-DE-DT-DE

I know this all sounds insanely complicated and I'm sorry for that, it got a little out of control since this is a very complicated D to run if you want to make it useful.

The bottom line is that you want to recruit a lot of linebackers, either converted from DE or Safety or just good solid LBs. I ran 3-4 as my primary defense, especially for run stopping which seems silly but it worked out. My 4-3 was actually my quick pass rush look with my LB's down at DE, so it was almost a 2-5-4 look. For obvious passing downs, I would run Nickel 335 or Dime with my Express package in, all DE's across the D-Line.

Let me know if I need to clarify that, it started to run on, sorry lol
wow Great post. I got to think about that. I run a Multiple D with FSU and thir players are amazing all over the field.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxdmx
wow Great post. I got to think about that. I run a Multiple D with FSU and thir players are amazing all over the field.
Once you get your Mixed D established, the next step is to learn to stem it. Stemming the D is essentially disguising the look, line up in something and then move to something else right before the snap. It can be so basic as to call man in the huddle and then audible to zone right before the snap to throw someone off or it can be as complex as switching formations.

Multiple D is the BEST book to stem with. What I would do it set two of my audibles to 4-3 plays, two to 3-4 and one either Nickel or Dime. All 5 audibles would be exotic blitzes.

Again assuming 3-4 was my base defense and I wanted to blitz. Instead of just calling a blitz, I would call just a basic call like Cover 2 Man or Zone. Line up in it and let my opponent (human) see it. Right before the snap, i would audible to one of my 4-3 blitz plays. This is what the personnel would look like on the audible

CB-FS-SS-CB
ROLB-MLB2-MLB1-LOLB
DE-DT-DE

34 to 43 audible

CB-FS-SS-CB
ROLB-MLB1-LOLB
MLB2-DE-DT-DE

This served a couple purposes. First, just about everyone on defense was moving at the snap. The MLB2 crashed to the open DE spot, the 3 man front slid over a few strides, the remaining backers tightened up and the DB's remain about the same, this got guys huge jumps on blitzes. Second, you get personnel mismatches with a DE at DT and a OLB at DE, this is especially helpful if your DE is a real big former DT type of guy. Again, this serves no tactical purpose other than as deception. It will not work vs. the computer, only vs. humans. It can also be done in reverse, 4-3 to 3-4 which I personally think works even better.

Start in the base 4-3 (with the LB Rush package if you can) so your defense looks like this:

4-3 LB Rush:

CB-FS-SS-CB
ROLB2-MLB1-LOLB2
ROLB1-DT-DT-LOLB1

4-3 LB Rush to 3-4:

CB-FS-SS-CB
ROLB2-ROLB1-MLB1-LOLB2
DT-DT-LOLB1

This is a filthy pass coverage formation because you have 5 linebackers, 4 of which are faster outside linebackers and one of those is an edge pass rusher. So I would make my 3-4 audible either a zone blitz or just a unique zone coverage (Clamp Double Go, Trio Sky Zone, Weak Blitz 3 or Strong Blitz all work great here).

The 4-3 to 3-4 is especially useful against humans if executed right before the snap because it everyone is moving at the snap and it makes reads VERY tough.

You can experiment with a lot of the audibles though to do stemming, even in other defensive schemes, but 3-4 to 4-3 and vice versa works a lot better because it is a very streamline and fast shift with no coverage disruption pre-snap. I imagine Nickel to Nickel 3-3-5 and reverse could do the same thing.

Again, that may be a bit confusing, so let me know if I need to clarify.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
Pro

^Thanks for all the explanation!!!

Your posts have given me a solid base to recruit/build upon. One difference between what you did and what I'm doing is putting DE's at the 3-4 OLB position. Looking at the LB corp I have now, I think that they are to small and don't have good enough pass rush ratings to justify putting them at the DE position in the 4-3.

Here is what I have right now for my front seven.

4-3

LOLB MLB ROLB
DE DT DT DE

3-4

DE ILB ILB DE
DT DT DT

Recruiting wise I'm focusing on picking up 290 lb + DTs to play the 3-4 and to add size to the 4-3. I'll need that added size on the line because I'm also recruiting hybrid 4-3 DEs/3-4 OLBs that are around 245 Lbs (but have solid pass rush skills and serviceable zone coverage if they ever need to drop into coverage.)

I'm also going to take your advice and look into picking up a larger safety to play the MLB position. I have one on my board already that is 225 and has a B- for both man and zone coverage.

Once again, thanks for all the help!
Quote:
Old 08-09-2010, 11:49 PM   #7
Banned

Yeah, my package suggestions are tough to do for a first year dynasty as very few teams have that LB depth to run it. You're taking the right approach.

I utilize the big SS at LB recruiting strategy in any defense I run, either 4-3, 3-4, Mixed or 4-2-5 which is what I've run for two years now.

For 4-3/3-4/Mixed, I recruit a single, large, B- speed and above average coverage SS and place him at MLB. Last year I had the best candidate, a 6'3" 230 Strong Safety that was too slow to play actual safety but had great tackle and coverage ratings, so I plugged him in at MLB and used him as the guy I played manually.

For 4-2-5, I recruit as many large, hard hitting SS as I can find and pick the best 3 or 4 and put them at LB. It works wonders for both coverage and run support, especially with a strong front line.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:58 PM   #8
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXHusker25
Yeah, my package suggestions are tough to do for a first year dynasty as very few teams have that LB depth to run it. You're taking the right approach.

I utilize the big SS at LB recruiting strategy in any defense I run, either 4-3, 3-4, Mixed or 4-2-5 which is what I've run for two years now.

For 4-3/3-4/Mixed, I recruit a single, large, B- speed and above average coverage SS and place him at MLB. Last year I had the best candidate, a 6'3" 230 Strong Safety that was too slow to play actual safety but had great tackle and coverage ratings, so I plugged him in at MLB and used him as the guy I played manually.

For 4-2-5, I recruit as many large, hard hitting SS as I can find and pick the best 3 or 4 and put them at LB. It works wonders for both coverage and run support, especially with a strong front line.
Yea, it's a little tough. But I'll see what happens since it would be ideal to put LBs on the line later down the road.

I'll definitely need that SS at MLB though. It will be a big help in keeping up with the SEC speeeeeeed.

The most difficult part about all of this, however, is keeping all my players straight. I have to keep two depth charts (3-4 and 4-3)in a separate notebook so I can keep all my damn subs and recruiting needs straight haha.
Quote:

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »