Home

Boise St. finally made it...

This is a discussion on Boise St. finally made it... within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #33
Rookie

Card-me's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Boise St. finally made it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thdudeabides
I believe, and I may be wrong, but Oregon was playing their second string QB, who was not an option QB and basically was no good in their system. TCU? Ok, another team thats still gotta prove it IMO. Even if I accept your point, good for them they beat three good teams in five years. In the SEC you gotta beat three good teams in five weeks.
Actually, Oregon had Masoli the entire game, and he was terrible. He had 2 rushes for 14 yards and 14/27 for 121 yards and 1 INT. And they had LeGarrette Blount, who had 8 rushes for -5 yards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreyman
If Utah had stayed in the MWC that would have been an argument for that conference to have the auto BCS birth over the Big EAST IMO...Boise, TCU, UTAH, and BYU....would have been a great conference.
I'm gonna have to disagree with this one. There's no way, top to bottom, that the MWC, even with Boise, is as good as the Big East. I may be biased as a Louisville fan, but I just don't buy it. Outside of TCU, Utah, and BYU, they had nothing really relevant last year. Despite the easy schedule, only one other team even made a bowl. And even Utah wasn't great. I watched the Louisville-Utah game last season, and had we had a coach with half a brain (who could figure out you go for 2, not 1 when you're down 10), that's a one possession game halfway through the 4th. And Louisville had the momentum, but the players completely gave up when Kragthorpe didn't go for 2 to make it an 8 point game. Now, I'm not saying that's evidence that Utah is terrible, but come on. We were 7th in the Big East last season and Utah was 2nd in the MWC, and if the MWC were better than the Big East, the game shouldn't have been that close. Especially when I then watched us lose worse against Pitt and Rutgers (2nd and 4th in the Big East) at home. And despite being the floormats of the Big East, we still beat Southern Miss, who went to a bowl game and was arguably better than pretty much every team in the bottom half of the MWC.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:40 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Correction. Boise State has gone 6-10 against BCS Conference teams, not just ranked teams since 2000. That is why they need to prove themselves in my book. Beat 4 ranked teams in a season and then you can get your title shot.
There you go. I agree completely.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:57 AM   #35
Rookie

acreyman's Arena

OVR: 6

.....(playoff dreams).... would solve alot of this wouldnt it? No more what if's....just W's and L's, put up or shut up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-11-2010, 01:12 AM   #36
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Correction. Boise State has gone 6-10 against BCS Conference teams, not just ranked teams since 2000. That is why they need to prove themselves in my book. Beat 4 ranked teams in a season and then you can get your title shot.
This is where the real problem comes in though. Boise has tried to schedule all these great teams. They've offered road games against several schools, and their prez (or somebody) came out and said they'd play anybody, anytime, anywhere. Guess what, nobody's accepted.

Its a shame because all these people keep saying they dont play anybody despite the fact that they've tried to.

Besides, they should have had a shot for the title last year anyway. Beat 2 top 10 BCS teams to start and end the season.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:57 AM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Card-me
I'm gonna have to disagree with this one. There's no way, top to bottom, that the MWC, even with Boise, is as good as the Big East. I may be biased as a Louisville fan, but I just don't buy it. Outside of TCU, Utah, and BYU, they had nothing really relevant last year. Despite the easy schedule, only one other team even made a bowl. And even Utah wasn't great. I watched the Louisville-Utah game last season, and had we had a coach with half a brain (who could figure out you go for 2, not 1 when you're down 10), that's a one possession game halfway through the 4th. And Louisville had the momentum, but the players completely gave up when Kragthorpe didn't go for 2 to make it an 8 point game. Now, I'm not saying that's evidence that Utah is terrible, but come on. We were 7th in the Big East last season and Utah was 2nd in the MWC, and if the MWC were better than the Big East, the game shouldn't have been that close. Especially when I then watched us lose worse against Pitt and Rutgers (2nd and 4th in the Big East) at home. And despite being the floormats of the Big East, we still beat Southern Miss, who went to a bowl game and was arguably better than pretty much every team in the bottom half of the MWC.
The Mountain West Conference had 5 teams qualify for bowl games (TCU, BYU, Utah, Air Force, and Wyoming), and went 4-1 in those games (TCU being the only loss to the hands of Boise State.

Quote:
Now, I'm not saying that's evidence that Utah is terrible, but come on. We were 7th in the Big East last season and Utah was 2nd in the MWC, and if the MWC were better than the Big East, the game shouldn't have been that close.
Maybe it was tight for a while in the fourth quarter, but final score was 30-14 if I'm not mistaken, so it's not like it ended up being a nail-biter. It was 20-0 at halftime.

Also by using that same logic, Cinci should have steamrolled Fresno State (finished 3rd in the WAC) but they ended up winning 28-20.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:10 AM   #38
All Star

Kobalt's Arena

OVR: 41

Boise made it in first year in my dynasty along with TCU.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:50 AM   #39
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler
It's really not that hard for Boise State to make it to the NC (in game), the only real challenge on their schedule is VTech.

Same with TCU.
They both play Oregon State and as a huskie fan you should know that Oregon State is a good program do i need to bring up the last few years we beat down UW?
Old 08-11-2010, 03:34 AM   #40
MVP

OVR: 15

I love how people, when talking about Boise State, try to knock teams in BCS conferences for playing cupcakes.

You mean teams like Fresno State, who Ole Miss, Illinois, and Boise State scheduled as a "cupcake" game?

You mean teams like Hawaii, who USC, Colorado, and Boise State scheduled as a "cupcake" game?

You mean teams like Idaho, who Nebraska and Boise State scheduled as a "cupcake" game?

You mean teams like Louisiana Tech, who Texas A&M and Boise State scheduled as a "cupcake" game?

You mean teams like Nevada, who Cal and Boise State scheduled as a "cupcake" game?

You mean teams like New Mexico State, who Kansas and Boise State scheduled as a "cupcake" game?

You mean teams like San Jose State, who Alabama, Wisconsin, and Boise State scheduled as a "cupcake" game?

You mean teams like Utah State, who Oklahoma and Boise State scheduled as a "cupcake" game?

You mean teams like Wyoming and Toledo, who Boise State scheduled as "cupcake" games?

I really have a hard time believing that Boise State is throwing the "any team, anywhere" out there, yet managed home games against both Virginia Tech and Oregon State both AT Bronco Stadium this year.

I'm not even asking Boise State to play more than one top 10 team in a season. I just think they need to play more good teams.

Yeah, the Big East is a pretty weak conference. But all of those teams...ALL OF THEM, could play on the same field as average teams from the other BCS conferences. They'd keep the scores close for the most part. And, for the most part, they schedule one or two BCS teams for their non-conference.

It's not so much about playing the really, really, really great teams as much as it's about playing really good teams week in and week out.

To be honest, Boise State does belong in a BCS conference. They're talented, no doubt. And in a 1-game situation, they can beat any other team in college football. But in a 1-game situation, Boise State can pull out all the stops. They can run all their trick plays. And if a guy gets hurt in that one game, well it's okay.

Why? Because for 10 of BS's 12 games, their second-string guys could win the game.

It's not like that in the SEC. Alabama may or may not be as good as EA would like to think they are, but when you're playing against SEC defenses for 8 weeks, your get banged up. You get bruised, you get sore. And you've got to bring your A+ game absolutely every week.

Heck, Boise State could even win the BCS National Championship game and I STILL wouldn't give them that much credit. Why? Because they'd be winning it on a 3-game schedule.

By the time the BCS Nat Champ game rolls around, Boise State won't have played a real game that meant anything in nearly 4 months, as their last significant game of the season is September 25th against Oregon State.

Meanwhile, an given SEC team will be fighting tooth and nail week in week out against other high quality teams with serious national championship shots, AND they'll play one EXTRA game against another definitely great team for the conference championship.

If Boise State had exactly EQUAL talent to that of an SEC team that went 13-0, Boise State would win the game most of the time because their players are not dinged up and bruised and sore from playing a long, tough, grinding SEC season. Even with inferior talent, Boise State still has an edge, simply based on how easy their schedule is...

If Boise State loses even just one game, I think they need to be dropped straight out of the top 25.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »