Home

Am I just getting lucky or is something wrong?

This is a discussion on Am I just getting lucky or is something wrong? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-12-2010, 05:43 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 20
Re: Am I just getting lucky or is something wrong?

Just into my third season now of a default Heisman Dynasty w/ 10 min quarters. The entire experience has been amazing.

If you'll indulge me:

I schedule three creampuffs, because I just know it's going to be ridiculous, and I'd like to get some wins this year.

My first game I do win, 62-44, over Eastern Michigan. The 62 is pretty sexy, and more than anything reminds me that I don't have to worry if they game is "too easy" on offense, I'm on default Heisman. I simply do not care.

The 44, on the other hand, is not sexy. In fact, the game felt strangely like a loss. Eastern Michigan hanging 44 on you is like Florida dropping 70.

Second game, I host Colorado State. I'm nervous, I lack any and all confidence, and I lose, 48-38.

Maybe my vibe is off but I swear this is the part where most guys go looking at sliders. NOT I!

Game 3 is a home date with WSU. At this point I just want the win, but clearly the focus needs to be on defense. I hold WSU to 20 points and win, 24-20.

Game 4 is @ #11 Wisconsin, I lose 33-30. No shame there and a good final score.

Game 5 is at home against Michigan State, I roll, 37-17. Best game of the season by far.

Game 6, I'm 3-2, I get to face #2 Iowa (5-0) on my home field. BAM!!! 42-17, I STEAMROLL!!

Now, I'll cut to the chase, the progression of the Dynasty is what is undeniable. From allowing 44 points to Eastern, to the full-circle of allowing 17 to Iowa, then turning around and allowing 59 to Penn State later in the year. That first year was all about the learning curve - learning to play on Heisman without slider adjustments. I went 8-5.

Year two, 8-3 heading into Ohio State, lose that game, win a crappy bowl. 9-4.

Then look at my season three so far:

Louisiana Tech (W) 48-14
#24 Arkansas (W) 29-21 (trailed 21-0 in first)
@ #7 Florida State (L) 17-13 (10-10 entering fourth)

And, more importantly, moving forward with this Dynasty, I know that nothing I get is cheap. I've taken my lumps. I've allowed 350 yards rushing. I've allowed 400 yards passing. I've gone 10 for 29 passing with 4 INTs. I've lost games 59-14. I know that in my next game I could allow 50 points if I'm not careful, but I also know, with the same certainty, that I can hold my next opponent to under 20 points, so when I win that next game 44-14 or 66-10, I know based on the 30 games to come before it that I earned it.

TLDR: Default Heisman is a fun (if different) way to avoid encountering the feeling of doubt associated with the OP.

Last edited by NEOPARADIGM; 08-12-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #18

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
Just into my third season now of a default Heisman Dynasty w/ 10 min quarters. The entire experience has been amazing.

If you'll indulge me:

I schedule three creampuffs, because I just know it's going to be ridiculous, and I'd like to get some wins this year.

My first game I do win, 62-44, over Eastern Michigan. The 62 is pretty sexy, and more than anything reminds me that I don't have to worry if they game is "too easy" on offense, I'm on default Heisman. I simply do not care.

The 44, on the other hand, is not sexy. In fact, the game felt strangely like a loss. Eastern Michigan hanging 44 on you is like Florida dropping 70.

Second game, I host Colorado State. I'm nervous, I lack any and all confidence, and I lose, 48-38.

Maybe my vibe is off but I swear this is the part where most guys go looking at sliders. NOT I!

Game 3 is a home date with WSU. At this point I just want the win, but clearly the focus needs to be on defense. I hold WSU to 20 points and win, 24-20.

Game 4 is @ #11 Wisconsin, I lose 33-30. No shame there and a good final score.

Game 5 is at home against Michigan State, I roll, 37-17. Best game of the season by far.

Game 6, I'm 3-2, I get to face #2 Iowa (5-0) on my home field. BAM!!! 42-17, I STEAMROLL!!

Now, I'll cut to the chase, the progression of the Dynasty is what is undeniable. From allowing 44 points to Eastern, to the full-circle of allowing 17 to Iowa, then turning around and allowing 59 to Penn State later in the year. That first year was all about the learning curve - learning to play on Heisman without slider adjustments. I went 8-5.

Year two, 8-3 heading into Ohio State, lose that game, win a crappy bowl. 9-4.

Then look at my season three so far:

Louisiana Tech (W) 48-14
#24 Arkansas (W) 29-21 (trailed 21-0 in first)
@ #7 Florida State (L) 17-13 (10-10 entering fourth)

And, more importantly, moving forward with this Dynasty, I know that nothing I get is cheap. I've taken my lumps. I've allowed 350 yards rushing. I've allowed 400 yards passing. I've gone 10 for 29 passing with 4 INTs. I've lost games 59-14. I know that in my next game I could allow 50 points if I'm not careful, but I also know, with the same certainty, that I can hold my next opponent to under 20 points, so when I win that next game 44-14 or 66-10, I know based on the 30 games to come before it that I earned it.

TLDR: Default Heisman is a fun (if different) way to avoid encountering the feeling of doubt associated with the OP.
I never touch sliders for this very reason. I don't want to constantly be tweaking sliders and wondering if I have made things too easy or too hard. How can you tell if something in "unrealistic" or if you just had a bad game? You can't.

I roll default these days.

COACH GEEZY IN THE BIG EASY PART III: LEGACY | FROM BOURBON ST. TO THE BAYOU
Old 08-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 4

Two funny things to me here:

1. Considering all the complaints that the computer decides you're GOING to lose a game, at least they apparently also decide when you are GOING to win.

2. Also funny, but not "ha ha" funny, that I'd see this thread a couple days after one of my most terrible "CPU cheated!" losses. I was getting outplayed but catching breaks the whole way, finally going into the waning minutes with a slim lead, and the computer had a huge hurry-up drive that only took like 35 seconds and went the entire length of the field (I think from the 10!). Once they got to the five I gambled that they were going to just keep passing, since they were out of timeouts. So I dropped everybody in zone. First down, incomplete. Second down, complete in the flats but LUCKILY tackled at the LOS. Third down with just eight seconds left... CPU throws at a receiver standing in the back corner of the end zone with a cornerback directly between him and the ball, and basically NO WAY for him to get open. I'm thinking knockdown or pick. Instead the damn DB just steps aside like "oh, you wanted to catch this? I was afraid it might hit me and that would sting quite a bit! Here, you take care of it!" Grrrrrrrrrrr. My jaw dropped. I wish the computer had "wanted" me to win that game.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:25 PM   #20
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
Right, and that's why I was saying I've gotten a good variety of games so far. I think 2 out of 6 games is too small a sample size. Hopefully the law of averages kicks in for him. I can honestly say that nothing in this game has felt scripted to me at all. But I play AA, so I can't speak for Heisman. I might need to tweak a slider here or there, but for the most part it's playing well for me out of the box.
I agree on the small sample size, though it really been 5 of the 6 games in my dynasty were I felt like there was no way I was going to lose even though I was outplayed. Like I said before, when I am predicting a turnover or missed FG by the CPU and get it, more than once, it just gives you a weird 'feeling.'

I recently played two games in my dynasty, but not with my teams. Basically I wanted to get creamed so I took Ohio into Culumbus to play OSU - and got killed. I also took Ball State into Iowa and lost 42-7. Very good.

My next games will be telling - ND at home against Stanford and Colorado at home against Georgia. I do think at least a small part of this has been all the ND home games - all 3 were at home, even though the Michigan State game should have been in East Lansing. I didn't catch it until I was playing it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »