Home

Am I just getting lucky or is something wrong?

This is a discussion on Am I just getting lucky or is something wrong? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11
Am I just getting lucky or is something wrong?

Let me preface thsi by saying that I am a decent player, but nothing special. I am playing on All-American.

I keep havins games where I get a break or 2 and this allows me to win. I am playing my dynasty with both Notre Dame and Colorado. I haven't lost yet (6-0 between them) and I have been seriously out played at times.

I just finished Hawai'i at Colorado (HFA off) and I won 35-21. It was 14-7 at the half and it felt pretty good, save for the Warriors missing a short FG. In the second half it went like this - I kickoff, a few plays, pick-6 for me, 21-7. I kickoff and they go down and score. I then return the kickoff for a TD, so now that's 14 pts on 0 offensive plays. They score again so it's 28-21. I finally get the ball with 1:30 left in the 3rd and go 3 and out.

Hawai'i has the ball and drives to my 10 or so, sack, fumble and I pick it up and run it back. 35-21, which turns out to be the final.

Some stats
Colorado - Hawai'i
First Downs 10-22
Total O 249 -423
TOs 0 - 3

My last game with ND was similar, a 28-21 home win (HFA on) over Michigan State. They were moving the ball, and had a fumble which I picked up and ran back for 6 right before the half to tie it at 14. I never really felt threatened in the second half, like I knew I would win.

Total Offense in that one, 456-252 for the Spartans. They also had 2 turnovers, to my 0.

These are not the only 2 games like this - is anyone else seeing this often, or is this just a coincidence that I seem to be getting it often?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
MVP

Joshua1207's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Am I just getting lucky or is something wrong?

Bump up the sliders or put the difficulty up then I guess.
I do notice that sometimes the computer does really stupid things though on all difficulties
Old 08-12-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
Rookie

Onslaught76's Arena

OVR: 0

The CPU really does do some dumb things at times.....They occasionally make it up though in the 4th Quarter...GRRRR.

I agree with Josh - turn up your sliders.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

I don't think this is a slider issue. It sounds like he's being outplayed, so if he turns it up he'll just be getting destroyed. This sounds like a separate issue. Possibly the CPU "fixes" games and will do everything to get the result it wants, while staying in the realm of realism.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 5

I know EXACTLY what you're referring to. I'm playing as Minnesota, and I beat USC, Ohio State, and Penn State all from getting a pick 6 or fumble return as the difference in the game (I think all were won by 3 pts). I was dominated yardage-wise in all three of those games. USC and OSU both fumbled while trying to run the clock out and that's how I scored the winning TD.

So I bumped up to Heisman for Year 2 (tweak sliders to try to make sure you can still compete), and I haven't had nearly as many breaks, and really, I don't feel like I'm getting cheated either. I lost 25-3 @ USC, but I managed to beat Ohio State in Columbus 22-21 on a last second FG. But I didn't get any real huge breaks, I just won the game. One of my best wins ever in any NCAA, very rewarding. You'll probably struggle to adjust to the amped up CPU ability, but if you get smarter and just get used to it you may like the change. Check out the slider section here on the forums, there's some good ones out there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
MVP

mdgoalie37's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by okstate123
I don't think this is a slider issue. It sounds like he's being outplayed, so if he turns it up he'll just be getting destroyed. This sounds like a separate issue. Possibly the CPU "fixes" games and will do everything to get the result it wants, while staying in the realm of realism.
Correct, it's not so much the gameplay itself 95% of the time, it's just the breaks I see. The opportune fumbles, the CPU red-zone failures, things like that. I seem to have the CPU drive to the red zone and stall quite often. For instance in my Colorado dynasty I've had 10 defensive redzone chances in 3 games, seems reasonable. 5 TDs, 0 FGs - that doesn't seem right. For ND I believe it was 11 chances, 5 TDs and 2 FGs. So for my 2 teams that 21-10-2, that's 57% giving up any points in the red zone.

It could be just a coincidence that I've been seeing a few of these in a short period of time. These are things that woudl be welcome sometimes, they just seem to keep coming. When it happen as ND, I tell myself it's the luck of the Irish.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:05 PM   #7
Rookie

OpTiOnMaStA's Arena

OVR: 4

You'll get a loss eventually.

Sometimes this is how it goes. The best team doesn't always win (in real life or in video games). Also, stick skills make up for a lot of shortcomings in these games.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I've had the same thing happen to me. I went 12-0 with Michigan my first year before losing to Bama in the BCS game. Yes I know that's highly unlikely and I bumped up the sliders halfway through the year to make it harder. The game was slightly on the easy side but every big break went my way. I was either losing or tied going into the 4th quarter for half my games.

Nebraska (I put them in the Big 10 subbing out Indiana) had me beat and literally threw the game away with seconds left. The cpu called for a pass on my two yard line with 10 seconds left and threw a pick in the endzone. The game was tied 14-14. Just run the ball and kick the chip shot to win! I went on to win in OT. I was actually losing 14-6 with under two minutes left and got a TD and two point conversion just to tie the game.

Against Ohio State in the final game I didn't convert a single third down through the first three quarters and yet I had the ball to start the fourth quarter in their territory down 9-7. They were up 9-0 when Pryor threw a pick 6 to make it 9-7. Then Herron fumbled on the first play after the kickoff. I recovered the fumble, kicked the FG and won 10-9 despite being outgained by three times the yardage.

I had a horseshoe up my butt all year. Tons of close and fun games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »