Home

Does pursuit seem overpowered to anyone else?

This is a discussion on Does pursuit seem overpowered to anyone else? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2010, 02:21 PM   #17
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9
Re: Does pursuit seem overpowered to anyone else?

I'm not trying to hate on you or any thing by any means so don't take this the wrong way, but when you post this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecooper
I'm talking about CPU pursuit, and specifically players who are hauling butt toward or through the LOS turning on a dime and maintaining speed sideways. In these situations I feel like locomotion and acceleration are acting as limits on my halfback, but not at all on the defender coming after me. I didn't really feel this way before the patch, and I know they were tweaking things to help the CPU defend the run better (which was needed). But I hate when a guy crashes through the line two gaps to my left or right and I think "that guy's behind me, no need to worry about him" - and then he makes a crazy turn, zooms an improbable distance, and tackles me from behind while ripping at the ball to boot. I'm getting 3 or 4 plays a game like this. Realistically, if my back has any kind of speed at all and isn't doing some stutter stepping, this defender should be behind the play the entire time.

I like defenders taking better angles and not falling all over themselves like morons on defense, but this needs toning down. Generally I feel like locomotion and physics-based turning doesn't apply to the computer players on D; I'm playing NCAA 11 and they're playing Madden 98.
Then you go on to make a very rational point here, sprinkled in with what exactly your problem probably is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalecooper
I wonder if part of the problem is that they are tweaking things for default sliders, and many of us don't use them. I already had my run blocking for User very low (like 20, I think) so maybe the patch has transported me into a magic land where every blocker whiffs his block. I'll have to play with that. But I still feel like regardless of my difficulty level and sliders, I shouldn't see defenders routinely violating the laws of physics.
Seems like you have solved your own problem.

Maybe you should settle down, play a few games, and make gradual adjustments before claiming the game is now somehow mysteriously broken.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.

Last edited by BadAssHskr; 08-13-2010 at 02:24 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:33 PM   #18
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssHskr
Maybe you should settle down, play a few games, and make gradual adjustments before claiming the game is now somehow mysteriously broken.
While I agree with your point and thought the exact same thing, it doesn't mean the pursuit isn't overpowered. I've been using Run Defense at 40 and Run Blocking at 65 and have seen the same results. Defenders simply shed all blocks at the same exact time as if scripted to tackle the ball carrier. Sliders need to go to polar extremes to fix the problem which actually causes another problem where everyone on the D-Line is blown away at the snap. Any untouched defenders will still have the insane pursuit.

Any game that NEEDS sliders below 20 or above 80 isn't configured correctly.

This isn't necessarily a huge issue for those who play with sliders, but it should be brought to EA's attention for the next time they decide to release a tuner set.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:36 PM   #19
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy4uf
im really tired of getting tackled by a LB thats 10 yard away from me with half the speed, yet he closes on me like im standing still and im not able to beat him to the corner. I know they did this for gameplay experience, but thats not in the real game EA. Ray lewis is not tracking down Chris Johnson when CJ has a 10 yard lead on him, im sorry that will never happen ,even if Lewis has an angle. The pursuit is a little ridiculous but i can understand wht they did it. it just needs some fine tuning
Make your speed threshhold 0. Fast players are fast. slow players are slow...faster players are faster than medium/slow players.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #20
Madden PC

BadAssHskr's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
While I agree with your point and thought the exact same thing, it doesn't mean the pursuit isn't overpowered. I've been using Run Defense at 40 and Run Blocking at 65 and have seen the same results. Defenders simply shed all blocks at the same exact time as if scripted to tackle the ball carrier. Sliders need to go to polar extremes to fix the problem which actually causes another problem where everyone on the D-Line is blown away at the snap. Any untouched defenders will still have the insane pursuit.

Any game that NEEDS sliders below 20 or above 80 isn't configured correctly.

This isn't necessarily a huge issue for those who play with sliders, but it should be brought to EA's attention for the next time they decide to release a tuner set.

I'll admit, I'm just now to the beginning of my 2nd season.

I played my bowl game with the new slider set and LTP. I had read that maybe HUM PassRush would need to be bumped up so I put it to 55, and I had also read that CPU PassCoverage would need to be lowered so I lowered it to 45.

After a season of struggling, my Huskers went (8-4) regular season, I was fumbling and throwing Ints like crazy.

Going into my bowl game against Nevada (9-3) regular season, I fully expected to struggle badly. To my surprise, it was literally my best game all season and I won 28-7, with 1 pick.

So while i've read a bunch of how the game is ruined now, and a bunch of complaining, my experience didn't justify any of it.

Trust me, I'm having a bad day today, and the smallest of things are scratching at my nerves.

BTW: all season long my only slider adjustments where HUM and CPU INT 40 and CPU RunBlock at 55.

twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/cornbeaner

XSX: thirtydaZe
Online, Solo, CFM.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:37 PM   #21
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
I'll admit, I'm just now to the beginning of my 2nd season.

I played my bowl game with the new slider set and LTP. I had read that maybe HUM PassRush would need to be bumped up so I put it to 55, and I had also read that CPU PassCoverage would need to be lowered so I lowered it to 45.

After a season of struggling, my Huskers went (8-4) regular season, I was fumbling and throwing Ints like crazy.

Going into my bowl game against Nevada (9-3) regular season, I fully expected to struggle badly. To my surprise, it was literally my best game all season and I won 28-7, with 1 pick.

So while i've read a bunch of how the game is ruined now, and a bunch of complaining, my experience didn't justify any of it.

Trust me, I'm having a bad day today, and the smallest of things are scratching at my nerves.

BTW: all season long my only slider adjustments where HUM and CPU INT 40 and CPU RunBlock at 55.

I'm not trying to hate on you or any thing by any means so don't take this the wrong way, but when you post this

What are you talking about?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-13-2010, 03:46 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Seems like you have solved your own problem.
I don't know if I have or not. We'll see when I get time to test slider adjustments. But I don't know that I agree with your definition of "solved." My ultimate goal for any football game isn't to produce realistic stats, or run 10 yards on one play and 0 yards on the next. Those are nice accomplishments but they are ancillary to what I REALLY want, which is a game that feels like football as you play it.

So while I might be able to limit the times I see this happen by upping my run blocking to the point that guys are seldom in my backfield, my concern is, I think, still legitimate: I don't get how a defender running full speed at my QB can turn on a dime and run me down laterally, when any running back worth anything would outrun almost any linebacker in that situation (as long as he wasn't slowing down to juke or wait for blocking, of course).

Quote:
I'm going to try not to condescend to you here, and I'd ask you for the same courtesy. I'm not freaking out, or anything close to it. I quite like the game and play it almost every evening. I'm also not slinging around the word "broken" like it was going out of style, which is a serious pet peeve of mine - we should reserve that label for things that actually deserve it. Backward pump-faking? Broken. Linebacker and d-lineman pursuit? Merely annoying. I get the difference, believe me.

The reason I post here about it is because I'm curious if other people are seeing it, and if so what they have tried to do to mitigate the problem: difficulty level, sliders, etc. I come looking for a solution. I don't know if I have one, and I'd like to hear from other people before I just start pushing sliders and hoping. I don't use the sliders much so I don't really trust myself to come up with a fix that doesn't screw up something else (like say, the defense being able to stop my runs up the middle more than occasionally).
Old 08-13-2010, 04:19 PM   #23
MVP

Palo20's Arena

OVR: 21

I'm seeing it. Tried running a ton of Read Option with Oregon last night and couldn't get more than 3 yards. I'm reading the DE fine, but the rest of the defense is swarming toward me. Facing Ohio St, but still should have at least a little success.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:28 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 20

For that kind of spread/read offense, try raising your run blocking to 70 or 75, and lowering the running back ability to like 25.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »