Home

Is it possible to run the triple option properly?

This is a discussion on Is it possible to run the triple option properly? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2010, 02:32 PM   #17
MVP

thedudedominick's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: Is it possible to run the triple option properly?

I will say with the inclusion of the misdirection plays in the flexbone playbook, I finally can run away from the motion in a video game. It just helps complete the playbook.
MLB: Chicago Cubs
Old 08-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #18
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucianoJJ
The triple option is a classic ball control offense. While it doesn't have the quick strike capability of the pass, but you can still break off long runs. It's great for taking some of the load off of your main HB, since both the FB and QB get to carry the ball. I love running the option on third down, as an alternative to passing or running the ball. It's a great alternative to the sweep. Think about it, it's a dive, off tackle and toss sweep all in one, as the reads unfold. Remember, you have to use the FB dive enough to keep the D guessing, and set up the other two aspects of the option.

I said this in an earlier post, there is a danger on the pitch of getting it "intercepted." I know it's a backward pass....The game forces you to be cautious, and prevents the option pitch from being some kind of toss play in the flats.

Absolutly correct. 3rd and long the speed option is a great play as most times the d will come out in a pass d and will not be able to effectivly stop your run

If you would like to see the Wing T in action, you can check out my twitch channel. I stream there..badly. I post highlights on my youtube channel as well!
Old 08-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 3

I have played as Navy since about 2000 on every version of NCAA. This year is the first time that you can actually run the offense with the proper reads involved.

As stated, you must first identify the outside end which could be the defensive end or the outside linebacker.

Next, bring up the blocking diagram and make sure the numbers are on your side and the pitch side isn't overwhelmed with unblocked players.

If the end stays, you give to the FB.

If the end crashes in, you keep the ball and look for the first hole.

Only pitch to the slot back when everything is clear.

In general 4-3 defenses will be 50-50 QB keep/FB handoff. However, 3-4 defenses will crash much more often and you will keep with the QB more often that not.

As stated, take the 3 yards the FB gives you or the 2+ yards the QB gives you on the first hole. Pound away and do not pitch unless you have no doubts.

One thing that happens against 3-4 teams for the most part is a crashing linebacker on the opposite side who will tackle your QB from behind before he can reach the first hole. I use the goalline tight formation more often than not which helps to prevent that from occuring. QB-FB option plays where the FB acts as a slot back are important to include in your offense as well as quick option plays where the QB pushes upfield as quick as possible.

I played a season with Navy and went undefeated before losing in the Orange Bowl on Heisman difficulty. Ricky Dobbs is an absolute beast and he routinely broke off huge runs. I am also Army in an online dynasty on All American and run the offense pretty successfully when I don't make the stupid errors of impatience.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:56 PM   #20
MVP

acts238shaun's Arena

OVR: 25

I plày with the speed on slow and 25 and it gives me enough time to read the end and get out of there. On this setting the end can't turn on a dime; he reacts and then I do.

You do have to be willing to take 3-5 yards a pop on the option and mix in a misdirection, midline and a 60 go or 60 choice and a 4 vert. Of course the trap option as well. Also, don,t forget your packages such as twin hb and 4 wr's.

One last thing - recruit for your offense. If you can't find a FB get a power HB. If you can't get a faster HB get a Speedy WR. Ignore the OVR rating at times when ur running this offense, it's very skill specific. When clicking the flex is a beautiful thing to watch/use.
Old 08-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #21
Rookie

acreyman's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreyman
I did not find that video you mentioned. I watched this one real quick which is Paul Johnson talking about his GT option playbook which is worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSR3Y-yl1iQ

Whoops. Forgot the link. Lots of real-life info online though but I guess the only real helpfull info will be stuff actually related to the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by acts238shaun
I plày with the speed on slow and 25 and it gives me enough time to read the end and get out of there. On this setting the end can't turn on a dime; he reacts and then I do.

You do have to be willing to take 3-5 yards a pop on the option and mix in a misdirection, midline and a 60 go or 60 choice and a 4 vert. Of course the trap option as well. Also, don,t forget your packages such as twin hb and 4 wr's.

One last thing - recruit for your offense. If you can't find a FB get a power HB. If you can't get a faster HB get a Speedy WR. Ignore the OVR rating at times when ur running this offense, it's very skill specific. When clicking the flex is a beautiful thing to watch/use.
This is the tough part. Recruiting for the offense takes a lot of outside the box thinking. You need to search for any QB with speed or a speedy ATH with throwing power. Of course, if you never pass, a halfback is just fine back there. You will have nearly no chance to find a FB who can handle 20 carries so yes, go after a HB with high carries, break tackle, and truck. Speedy WR work at slotback if you treat them as the last option outside but if you misdirection runs you did need higher carry ratings. The added benefit of putting WR at SB is the added passing dimension as your flexbone will actual be a four wide receiver set. In addition, I will also recruit TE's to sometimes put at WR for the blocking advantage.

Like is usual, recruit for speed everywhere and sometimes a slot back will present themselves at other positions. I like to have some power slot backs for the misdirection off tackle plays as well as some speedy backs who can take the pitch and fly or streak down the middle past linebacker on pass plays.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »