Home

Recruiting rules for better realism

This is a discussion on Recruiting rules for better realism within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-28-2003, 03:33 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Recruiting rules for better realism

Anyone who is not a complete idiot and/or not lazy can do an unrealistically good job at recruiting in this game.

So, without further ado, here are the rules I am going to use in my dynasties for recruiting.

These numbers indicate the maximum number of recruits you are able to have in a class from a certain area, AS WELL AS the maximum number of recruits you can target from a given area in a given week. Also, any commitments you get from one of the areas reduces the number you are allowed to recruit in following weeks (basically, at any given time you cannot exceed the specified number of targets + commitments in a region)

Limits:

In-state: Unlimited
Region:*++ 5 total (Your region is the five closest states to your home state. If more than five are adjacent, pick a specific five to stick with for your entire dynasty.)
Florida, California, Texas:* The total limit is equal to your team's prestige (obviously if you are a school in one of these states the unlimited rule applies for your state)
All other states: Limit is equal to half of your prestige, rounded up. (1-2 stars = 1, 3-4 stars = 2, 5-6 stars = 3)

* - Teams in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Nevada, Utah, and Arizona may NOT include California as a regional state, and can have only 4 regional states instead of 5. However, they can recruit up to 7 players from California IN ADDITION to whatever they are allowed according to their FL,CA,TX limit and other state limit. So, a 3 star team from Utah could recruit a maxiumum of 12 players from California (7 for the rule, 3 for their prestige, and 2 for their "other states" limit)

++ - All of the states in New England (Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont) count as one state. Thus, any school from any of those states gets unlimited recruiting from all of those states, and the New England region is only counted as one of the five total states when included in a school's region.

Note that the limits for regional and FL/CA/TX recruiting are combined limits for all states in the region. So, if your limit for FL/CA/TX is 4 players, you can recruit a total of four from FL, CA, and TX combined, not 4 players from each.

Also, limits can be combined if they overlap: If for example you are a 4-star program in Georgia, you could recruit up to 11 players from Florida: 4 for your FL, CA, TX limit, plus 5 from your region limit (Florida is in the region), plus 2 from your other states limit.

If you look at real recruiting classes, and consider that since there are limits on targets, you won't land all the out-of-state targets, I think these will be very realistic.

Also, I'll probably work something into the rules regarding coach prestige, so if you are a high prestige coach and for whatever reason end up at a lower prestige school, that gives you some benefit. (i.e. Lou Holtz moving to South Carolina)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2003, 03:42 PM   #2
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Recruiting rules for better realism

Sounds good. I'll definitely have to give this a try. I usually had just tried to limit myself to about 10 to 13 recruits per year, but I like the idea of limiting by state/region.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:25 PM   #3
Rookie

I've been looking through the recruting classes and these rules seem to be very consistent with actual recruing tendancies throughout the country.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:44 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

Good Work! I would only slightly modify it:

Quote:

Region:*++ 5 total (Your region is the four closest states to your home state. If more than four are adjacent, pick a specific four to stick with for your entire dynasty)

I don't think you need to stick with the same four states for your entire dynasty. Obviously schools recruit more heavily in their own region because of the proximity and other logistics (time, where the coaches go to recruit (they can't send coaches to all fifty states), budgets, etc.). However, if coaches think one state in their region has more to offer than another state, then they can make the decision to recruit in one state rather than the other. If you stick to the rules and require that you only go after 4 regional states, you still have to make a determination as to which 4 you should go with (which is realistic).

Okay, I'm babbling, but I think the still fits within the idea of more realistic recruiting.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:52 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:

TheGhost said:
Good Work! I would only slightly modify it:

Quote:

Region:*++ 5 total (Your region is the four closest states to your home state. If more than four are adjacent, pick a specific four to stick with for your entire dynasty)

I don't think you need to stick with the same four states for your entire dynasty. Obviously schools recruit more heavily in their own region because of the proximity and other logistics (time, where the coaches go to recruit (they can't send coaches to all fifty states), budgets, etc.). However, if coaches think one state in their region has more to offer than another state, then they can make the decision to recruit in one state rather than the other. If you stick to the rules and require that you only go after 4 regional states, you still have to make a determination as to which 4 you should go with (which is realistic).

Okay, I'm babbling, but I think the still fits within the idea of more realistic recruiting.

I was looking at the map and decided that five regional states would be a better number, so I changed that... I think that kind of solves the problem since that allows a 5 state region to completely surround pretty much all of the states.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2003, 06:34 PM   #6
MVP

Bill_Abner's Arena

OVR: 12

Gotta love House Rules. Maybe not even a bad idea for a House Rules sticky thread if enough people do stuff like this. I have yet to get to the recruiting portion, but if it's as easy as NCAA 2003 then it's a rule that sounds necessary.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:14 PM   #7
Rookie

This sounds like a great starting base, as I have seen
recruiting becomes too easy. I think you should be allowed
to recruit as many *** and below players as you want though.
Recruiting seems pretty hard to me if you are a *** star
school.
Old 07-29-2003, 01:17 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 3

I have also found recruiting a bit to easy. I will have to look into this as it seems like a great idea.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »