Home

Franchise players lacking weight

This is a discussion on Franchise players lacking weight within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:30 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 20
Re: Franchise players lacking weight

I think most of this discussion points to the lack of weight progression. I'd love to see something like where if I took a 6-2, 280 pound G and moved him to FB or TE, he would shed weight, whereas if I left him at G or moved him to DT, he would gain weight.

Weight/skill progression relative to position would be even cooler. We talked about it in another thread, but the basic point is that there's something very, very lame about not being able to take a recruit and turn him into a decent player at another position unless he's been arbitrarily designated to play there.

I have that hypothetical recruit at OLB who's 6-4, 245, but who, for whatever reason, is below-average; I want to move that kid to FB, TE, DE, or whatever (based on his size) and then have him progress accordingly relative to his position.

Would really be a great way to introduce "gems" and "busts" btw, where you've got a 62-OVR recruit at MLB, let's say; you keep him at MLB he winds up an 83-OVR; you move him to OLB; he winds up a 66; you move him to SS, he winds up a 79; but had you moved him to FB, he would have been a 96, or whatever.

Take that same basic dynamic and apply it to EVERY player across the board, Dynasty mode gains a ton of life, imo.
Old 08-17-2010, 12:51 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by moTIGS
There are always going to be some guys who have high ratings and don't fit the prototypical size at all (I'm talking real life). And like people have said, recruits come in at all different sizes. I haven't played this year's version yet (just got my copy today and working on the rosters), but in the past there have been issues with this. I don't doubt that it's still a problem.

Someone mentioned the idea of an added feature where you set parameters for how you want your recruits to train. I think it would be a great idea (along with hiring assistants/position coaches... but that's a different topic). You'd hire a strength coach, give him guidelines for what you want your players to focus on (speed, brute strength, weight gain/loss... especially great if you could set parameters for each individual player), and go from there. That would really help create individual team identities, which is a primary factor in what makes college football so much fun, but has always been lacking in the EA version.

Basically... EA's college football game needs to find a way to put a lot more personality and individuality into each player. They shouldn't be just a number... there should be a road each guy takes to where he's going, and there should be a lot of ways to get there.
I wholeheartedly agree. While they could base a gameplay engine around physics and all (and they should), they really need to instill some soul into this game. Players shouldn't just be a list of generic attribute bars, but a hybrid dynamic of both measurables and intangibles. The game should in large part be about both the utilization of these traits and skills, and the coaching and development of them as well.

You see teams take on the persona of their coaches or sometimes the collective persona of the types of players they have. Miami back in the day was a flamboyant, trash-talking warehouse of talent. Penn St.'s always been a gritty, lunch-pale bunch of football players. We should be able to recruit not only forty times and weight, but personalities and characteristics. Keep recruiting blue collar grinders with high football IQs and eventually you will cultivate yourself a bruising, disciplined team. Recruit a highly talented showman and you may disrupt team chemistry for the sake of elite skills.

There's just a ton of stuff they could throw into this game that would catapult it to greatness, they just need the vision.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:35 AM   #19
MVP

OVR: 24

I actually moved a FS to OLB and he gained like 15 pounds one season. Started off at like 205 and was 220 after his freshman year.

But for the most part when recruiting DE/DT I look at weights and go from there. A 275 DE? Prob going to DT. A 210 DE? Going to LB.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:46 AM   #20
Banned

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289
I actually moved a FS to OLB and he gained like 15 pounds one season. Started off at like 205 and was 220 after his freshman year.
Really? That's good to hear. At least it's in there. I hadn't noticed anyone gain any weight.
Old 08-17-2010, 01:49 AM   #21
MVP

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOPARADIGM
Really? That's good to hear. At least it's in there. I hadn't noticed anyone gain any weight.
I also had a MLB come in at 218 and end up at 225 for the next year. I was surprised to see it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-17-2010, 02:16 AM   #22
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by BraveHeart
I'm not talking about incoming freshman, I'm talking about the finished product.
Ugh... Sorry, man. It was late and my reading comprehension was obviously lacking. For the finished product, yeah, 250 is light for a DE who has four years in.

My bad.
Old 08-17-2010, 05:46 AM   #23
Rookie

seawolves9's Arena

OVR: 7

Both bodizzy's and moTIGS' suggestions/ideas would be remarkable additions to a mode that gets stale after a while. If they factored in personalities and character, along with the coaching carousel, complete with coordinators, position coaches, and strength and conditioning coaches, and then the game gave you points of focus for each guy, and based on your coaches attributes, that's how well that player or group of players would progress in a given area. Maybe make it a points alotted type of system. Then bring back discipline and throw in a spice of that random progression that one poster made a good point about, and oh boy would NCAA's dynasty mode be single handedly THE best franchise/dynasty/legacy/manager mode ever, IMO. I believe NCAA has almost nailed down the gameplay part of the game, maybe a few tweaks here and there wouldn't hurt, but with gameplay being so good now, I hope they focus on adding depth to features already in the game, or bring in a whole new mode (like an AD mode) to bring a whole new aspect to college football gaming, but just don't half-*** it and forget about it a la Road to Glory.

EDIT: This prolly belongs somewhere in a wishlist thread but oh well ha.. I didn't wanna lose my train of though. Sorry for gettin a lil off topic.

Last edited by seawolves9; 08-17-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old 08-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #24
Pro

BraveHeart's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
Ugh... Sorry, man. It was late and my reading comprehension was obviously lacking. For the finished product, yeah, 250 is light for a DE who has four years in.

My bad.

No prob, I wasn't very clear with that post (based off of a few of the responses). I like all the suggestions and think they should be in the game, but (excuse me for being a negative nancy) I don't expect EA to go that far (not their M.O. if you know what I mean). The quick fix for the problem at hand would be to let us be able to edit weight. I'm sure that can be handled in a patch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »