Home

Hard to build depth

This is a discussion on Hard to build depth within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12
Re: Hard to build depth

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumeroUnoFSU
I'm just gonna say it...recruiting sucks this year. If I fail to fill my needs I will stop playin this game.

As a 6 star program I shouldn't have to beg a 3 star player to commit to me.
In real life all the elite school sign 3 star guys here is a look at the elite teams and the amount of 3* guys they signed last year per scout.com. You can always drop the recruiting level down to varsity.

UF - 6
Okl -10
TX - 5
AL - 9
USC- 3
LSU - 14
FSU - 14
Old 08-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan
In real life all the elite school sign 3 star guys here is a look at the elite teams and the amount of 3* guys they signed last year per scout.com. You can always drop the recruiting level down to varsity.

UF - 6
Okl -10
TX - 5
AL - 9
USC- 3
LSU - 14
FSU - 14

I am on Varsity. I cannot build depth because I can only sign 15-18 guys per class. I need a solution.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 11

I am not having a problem with recruiting, in fact, I love it. I had 24 players signed my first year before the off-season started (granted 5 were 1* before I knew they sucked). My second year, I already have 11 3* commits, 6 more that I know will sign (+500 more #2 school), 4 that have me #1 with another school close, and 5 more in the Top 3 ... and I am in week 11.

I probably don't have the best recruiting formula, but this is what I do to attract more recruits:
1) Always have your board filled.
2) Save some time to offer scholarships to players with Top 10 Commit Status.
3) If a player you offered a scholarship to becomes interested, recruit them.
4) If a player's interest is below the commit status, drop them from your board (Top 5 commit status and you are 7th on his list)
5) If you are #1 on the recruit's list, and you are more than 500 from the next school, only do 10 to 20 minutes a week.

I am having a TON of success with this. I am probably missing out on some good recruits since I don't put enough time to them (like I lost a 4* DT), but I am getting a lot of 3* prospects ... which is decent since I am a 2* school. I may tweak this next year and put way more time into 4* and 5* recruits.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

If you are wanting to sign 20-25 guys a year and you are having a problem with depth then you are gonna have to go after some 3* guys. So take a look at some 3* guys that have u in his top 3 or #1 if possible. The top schools wont start recruiting these guys until mid to late part of the season.

A big thing is to think about the risk/rewards of going after a person. If you need a FS and there is a 5* guy who has you 7th and he is from Alabama and has all the SEC powers on his list ahead of you. Then there is 4* FS who has you #1 who is still good enough to be a starter. You can still sign the 5* FS, but it will take 60 min for 10 weeks to get him. While the FS you can get him to commit by week 3. The amount of time you saved could be used to grab 2 more commits.

Also I would search for a thread called recruiting tips on here
Old 08-19-2010, 11:27 AM   #13
Rookie

greenhead's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
I am on Varsity. I cannot build depth because I can only sign 15-18 guys per class. I need a solution.
You should only need to sign that many players each year, and, realistically, probably less. You are allowed 70 players total, so, to keep yourself balanced, you shouldn't really be targeting more than 17.5 players per year.

I try to nab 1-2 auto commits the first week, then concentrate solely on 10 players each week. They get 60 minutes each. Anyone that is an also-ran, that is, a backup in case I can't get someone, I leave on the board, but don't offer a scholly.

I usually end the year with 12-13 commits when the fresh crop of recruits come in at the end of the year. I add 10 more there and usually end up signing 18-20 a year. Some don't cut the mustard, others redshirt, and it all works out over time.

I've been changing recruits positions alot more this year as well. It seems to me that a lot of players play a different position better...at least more this year than in previous years. Look at that 3rd, 4th, or 5th WR and see if he'd be higher on the depth chart as a DB.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:28 AM   #14
Rookie

Vaporub83's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
The Solution is to intially target guys that have you in the top 3 that fill needs. Don't fill your board with a bunch of the top 150 guys. Being a 6* program I wouldn't go above 5 5* guys. The longer you wait to try and recruit 3* guys the tougher it will be. Think of it this way if FSU is targeting all 5* guys until week 5, and USF has been recruiting the 3* guys from FL for those weeks. FSU is fighting an uphill battle come week 5 when they start recruiting those same guys.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:34 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 3

Quote:
I'm just gonna say it...recruiting sucks this year. If I fail to fill my needs I will stop playin this game.

As a 6 star program I shouldn't have to beg a 3 star player to commit to me.
I love this year's recruiting. Not only the process itself, but that it's harder. I feel like I have to work to keep my program at the top, and sometimes it's going to drop and need to be rebuilt a bit (like real life).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-20-2010, 01:43 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 2

Honestly, If you're having trouble with recruiting, you just are not good at it. It is really no different than any other aspect of this game (or others).

It is not easy to get an amazing class but it is not hard to get a decent one.

Read up on different ways to improve your recruiting.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »