Home

Has anyone ever gotten more then 10 yards on a read option?

This is a discussion on Has anyone ever gotten more then 10 yards on a read option? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-22-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
Staff Writer

jmik58's Arena

OVR: 42
Re: Has anyone ever gotten more then 10 yards on a read option?

To answer the question, yes I've had several runs on read options go for long gains. I've scored multiple times with runs over 50 yards on read options.

But to be frustrated by a lack of long runs is to not know football. Running plays aren't supposed to break for long plays very often. So there's no reason to think that a read option should automatically break for a big play more frequently.

It depends on how skilled your HB and QB are, especially your QB's acc/agil/speed. The only time I run the read option is when I go to the backup QB package where I have a QB that can scoot a little.

Of course blocking is a factor, and yes it will result in a loss of yards... but, this is where you have to pay attention to the defense.

You can't just run the read option (or any play) and complain because it doesn't work.

You have to look at the defense pre-snap every single play and audible or hot route to something else if the defense is set up to stop your play.

In the case of the read option, if you see an OLB/S walked up to the outside shade of the DE...don't run it! Read option teams are successful because the defense has to honor the passing game and skill on the outside as well.

If you see the outside edge stacked with defenders then audible to a slant because there's no one sitting in the slant zones. Or audible to something else... or change the read option to the other side.

The CPU defense tends to play pretty smart pre-snap, but if you know how to read a defense it's fairly to easy to be an offensive juggernaut regardless of what you have on the field.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 3

I had a go with Ohio State on All-American and I broke two 20+ gains with Terrelle Pryor.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:18 PM   #11
Pro

rhombic21's Arena

OVR: 9

I can get long runs with the QB if I get the defense in the right alignment and the DE bites on the HB. But in a lot of formations, the aiming point for the HB is way outside so you aren't able to take advantage of your double team blocks in the middle -- thus negating the entire point of using the option. In essense, the HB portion of the read option is basically the exact same thing as if you run a designed off-tackle run with no option. Many times you end up with nobody picking up the LB and the play is dependent on WRs holding their blocks for a fairly long time before the HB can get the corner. There's no real benefit, and thus there's really no reason for the defensive end to ever chase the HB.

The only exception to this is the read options from sets where the HB is offset to be about a yard or so further back from the QB. These plays are much better at attacking the middle (though often times the LB still doesn't get blocked).

So yeah, I've gotten some huge runs with the QB on the read option, but in terms of being able to run it as a bread and butter play to get consistent gains, it's not all that effective unless you're using one of a handful of formations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2010, 03:37 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherFan
This **** does not work. Receivers never hold there blocks long enough, the right lineman never comes of the double team, and other then the DE nobody else bites fake. Running out of the spread in general is a crap shoot in this game. This sucks becuase I wanted to run the spread option becuase that's what my team ran in highschool.
I haven't tested it enough to say for sure but it seems like when I hot route the recievers blocking they do better.

I have had a few big runs from the QB using this but have always found the read option more successful in the red zone.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:48 AM   #13
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
What difficultly and with what team?
I play on AA with SN's sliders and play with random teams... Mostly a teambuilder team with a frosh QB and RB that I will use in my dynasty

OS Thread Link - Website Link
Old 08-23-2010, 07:54 AM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 0

I've had alot of success with the read. With Michigan I've ran several 50+ yard untouched reads to the house.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #15
Rookie

browntowntiger's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobalt
I've got more than 10yards before.
as have i. it only really works with speedy rb's and especially qb's. the play is more effective if the qb gets the opportunity to keep the ball. ive even followed the rb into the hole if the line was completely collapsing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2010, 11:14 AM   #16
Rookie

hotti7's Arena

OVR: 3

I have gotten pretty good at it with Ohio State. Like another person said on here it's not going to be a big run everytime. I get a lot of short to mid gains but then I will bust off a long one. I do get good blocking from the wr's as well. Keep making your reads and be patient with it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »