Home

15 Minute Quarters

This is a discussion on 15 Minute Quarters within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #17
Rookie

Lavar's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: 15 Minute Quarters

Now your post is drifting away from the subject matter.

Its the cpu/ai that has no clue about time of possession not me. No matter what minute quarter you set the cpu/ai plays the same no matter what.

It has never known nor been programed to know that taking time means less TOP for the user.

I am through with this thread and through with you.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:48 PM   #18
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
But can you explain how it's different for it to take 45/60 minutes of TOP in the game to get those 80 plays while holding your opponent to only 40 plays instead of it taking 24/32 minutes to get that same 80 plays while holding your opponent to those same 40 plays? That's the part that I don't understand. In the game now, with 8 minutes quarters, you can hold your opponent to only 40 plays while getting 80 plays yourself. I'm not understanding the significance of it taking 45/60 minutes to achieve that ratio as opposed to it taking 24/32 minutes.
The reason 15 minutes matter is because lesser talented teams (like teams I control) try to keep the CPU offense off the field as much as possible. When the CPU can somehow sub and line up at the line of scrimmage not using any time this ignores this strategy element.

So after I control the game for 3 quarters then the CPU can still run multiple possessions in a limited amount of time.

Time does matter. It isn't just about number of plays. It matters when those plays occur. If you play 7-8 minutes you are basically doubling the importance of 2 minute offenses (I run wishbone).

There really is no excuse for EA not to have accelerated clock in NCAA. I am angry about this.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #19
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewie12
Alright I cannot play a football game without 15 minute quarters....it just doesn't feel right to me.

Since EA neglected to add accelerated clock or allow us to assign "chew clock on" for the CPU I have devised a psuedo way to keep time of possession and plays per game in check.

1. Play clock off
  2. Set tempo for my team to Conservative (chew clock)
  3. Switch to CPU team in the second quarter and run the clock down 2 to 4 minutes. Depending on the type of team.
  4. Repeat in the early 3rd quarter if CPU team has been dominating first downs etc....
I play offline only so this is just how I do it. I just thought I would share this since maybe there are a few people out there like me.

Last game I played Ohio Bobcats v. Syracuse and had 65 plays and 80 plays respectively. A good, enjoyable game despite the playbooks! EA is close but they really need to open up the customization of these games.

Cheers

This is only a suggestion.
You could always play with 9 minute quarters without the acc clock on and you may not be so frustrated with the game.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:20 AM   #20
Rookie

AUMCHUGH's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
The reason 15 minutes matter is because lesser talented teams (like teams I control) try to keep the CPU offense off the field as much as possible. When the CPU can somehow sub and line up at the line of scrimmage not using any time this ignores this strategy element.

So after I control the game for 3 quarters then the CPU can still run multiple possessions in a limited amount of time.

Time does matter. It isn't just about number of plays. It matters when those plays occur. If you play 7-8 minutes you are basically doubling the importance of 2 minute offenses (I run wishbone).

There really is no excuse for EA not to have accelerated clock in NCAA. I am angry about this.
But no one is forcing you to play 7,8,9, 10 min qtrs. You can jack it up to 15 per and "be strategic" all you like. I certainly understand your point of view, but if you are a weak team vs a CPU strong team, adding time only increases the likelihood of your loss. Same principle with NCAA basketball tourney: how many "cinderellas" would advance past 1st bracket if they played a 3-game series? Increase that period of "time" to 7 games and who will win out?

Not nitpicking, but your argument for more time per quarter doesn't coincide with what would actually benefit a weak vs strong team. And it certainly isn't anything to get angry about - wow.... trust me, life throws bigger crap at you than number of minutes in a football video game.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:58 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUMCHUGH
Not nitpicking, but your argument for more time per quarter doesn't coincide with what would actually benefit a weak vs strong team. And it certainly isn't anything to get angry about - wow.... trust me, life throws bigger crap at you than number of minutes in a football video game.
Dude this is a message board by your logic I could say there are more important things to do in life than post on a message board....but thanks for the life altering wisdom.

I like to unwind with a good game of video game football it would be really nice if the company could add simple little things to make it more realistic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #22
Rookie

AUMCHUGH's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Dude this is a message board by your logic I could say there are more important things to do in life than post on a message board....but thanks for the life altering wisdom.

I like to unwind with a good game of video game football it would be really nice if the company could add simple little things to make it more realistic.
I see what you tried to do there.....

Well regardless of what you like/dislike, I hope you don't stay angry at it forever. Good luck.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »