Home

EA: The Poll/BCS Ranking Logic is BROKE

This is a discussion on EA: The Poll/BCS Ranking Logic is BROKE within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: EA: The Poll/BCS Ranking Logic is BROKE

3 of us playing an OD and we all agree that the BCS polling is about the most realistic thing in NCAA 11.

Just like IRL, it doesn't make sense some years and can be infuriating.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #42
Rookie

AUMCHUGH's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSmerg
3 of us playing an OD and we all agree that the BCS polling is about the most realistic thing in NCAA 11.

Just like IRL, it doesn't make sense some years and can be infuriating.
Very true. I do agree with the Bama poster on Nevada though. Nevada was behind Bama in the BCS rankings, he beats a #15 Florida squad, and Nevada jumps a slot? And the fact Nevada was idle that week makes it more of a stretch, unless something happened and all Nevada's opponents won that week, too. Really would like to know what happened with Nevada's and Bama's opponents as a whole that CCG week. Might shed some light on why Nevada jumped Bama, but no, it's not completely unrealistic, but odd that they switched rankings.

As an AU fan I extend my condolences to the Bama Nation in this OD. At least you guys got the real life crystal, not a virtual replica.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #43
Pro

OVR: 5

The game’s poll/ranking logic is not meant to mimic the real life systems…never has since I’ve been playing the series. The game is designed to where you can build your favorite mid-major or small school team into a national champion. A little “escape from reality” if you will, personally this is the one unrealistic aspect of the game I have enjoyed over the years.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:46 PM   #44
Pro

blakty's Arena

OVR: 6

I think it's realistic...in the sense that it's broken like in real life
Old 08-25-2010, 10:25 PM   #45
Rookie

Card-me's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDoh
Again you and several others are proving that you are neither unbiased, nor correct. I stated an opinion of the state of this games ranking logic based on precedence concerning BCS rankings and you and a few others have posted your opinions. Nothing you or anyone else has said is based on fact... just your opinions from your perspective. I have provided examples and stated the obvious when it comes to power conferences and not just "BCS" conferences. There is a big difference and the final BCS rankings prior to bowl games have taken that into account more than record alone. A few of you guys seem to be stuck on record for justification of your opinion. In a nutshell - what I have pointed out is not at all baseless; contrarywise, it is not in line with your opinion therefore you discount my rationale. No objectivity.

In order to properly address any audience you must first know who you are dealing with and based on your affiliation and a few others it has become painfully obvious why you cannot see the forest for the trees. For you, this thread has become more about your team's/conferences perspective than the objective one.

This was not the direction I was hoping to take this thread and a few of you that have responded are so deep in your own argument that objectivity and rationale is an impossibility. I'm done with ya!
Hi Kettle, this is Pot. Uhhh.... don't know if you're aware, but... you're black.

Seriously, dude, you accuse people of just talking about opinion and not fact, when they've presented more evidence than you. You accuse them of homerism while arguing that you, a 1-loss SEC team should be ranked ahead of an undefeated Big East team just because you're in the SEC. And the only evidence you produce to back up this claim is 2007, where LSU made it in over Hawaii, who was not a BCS team and turned out to get destroyed in their bowl game. Then you say that the thread is now nothing but everyone else trying to defend their conference/team and that's not what you wanted it to be, while you were the one who started the thread about how a 1-loss SEC team should be ahead of an undefeated Big East team and were the first one to throw out "I wouldn't expect an Ohio State fan to understand" insults like a 12 year old.

Seriously, what a joke.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #46
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

The problem has been and will continue to be that EA only seems to use their poll logic to determine BCS rankings.

In the real world, computer polls actually matter which means that strength of schedule and quality wins actually have an impact on the formula.

Since we're essentially playing a computer game I have no idea why EA refuses to include the computer poll logic or at least make an effort to simulate the logic of the many formulas out there for ranking college sports teams (see Sagarin, etc).

I have little faith that EA will ever perfect the art of mimicking human polls since they have obviously decided to cater to the notion that every school deserves to play a title game.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:54 AM   #47
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

Unless you win all your games and dont make the title game then you have no reason to complain. They won all there games and you didn't it's as simple as that. Also how old is the OP?

Im sure your schedule was tougher then that. But strength of schedule isnt a factor in the BCS and its why you are seeing more and more top teams play crappy non conf games bc they can still make it in the title game.
Old 08-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #48
MVP

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUMCHUGH
Very true. I do agree with the Bama poster on Nevada though. Nevada was behind Bama in the BCS rankings, he beats a #15 Florida squad, and Nevada jumps a slot? And the fact Nevada was idle that week makes it more of a stretch, unless something happened and all Nevada's opponents won that week, too. Really would like to know what happened with Nevada's and Bama's opponents as a whole that CCG week. Might shed some light on why Nevada jumped Bama, but no, it's not completely unrealistic, but odd that they switched rankings.
I don't care what any other teams did that might have boosted Nevada's SOS. If Alabama was ahead of Nevada going into the week, and Bama beats UF in the SEC title game and Nevada is idle, there is no way in hell Nevada should jump Bama in any poll on Earth. So, I'm with the OP on this. Now, if Nevada was ahead of Bama going into the week, I wouldn't have a problem with them staying ahead. The key to this scenario is that Nevada was behind Bama. Bama wins (a HUGE win, BTW) and Nevada is idle. Nevada shouldn't get rewarded for and Bama should get punished for Nevada being idle.

However, undefeated WVU should definitely be ahead of 1-loss Bama, due to the fact that they're a BCS conference team (even though they are in, by far, the weakest BCS conference).

Last edited by ycbs; 08-26-2010 at 09:32 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »