Home

Trick plays NOT by design?

This is a discussion on Trick plays NOT by design? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 4
Trick plays NOT by design?

I was reading a description of the circus pass play (throw to a receiver on an in, who pitches it back to a receiver running a shallower in or crossing route going the other direction). Seems like you could do this with play that isn't designed to do that, couldn't you? The game lets you pitch from any ball carrier if there's another offensive player behind you. Do any of you have trick plays you run that aren't really intended to be trick plays?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-26-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Trick plays NOT by design?

I've made my own reverse play in '09 and '10, but I haven't tried it in '11, but I'm sure it'd still work. I call a slot option play from a SG trips formation. The HB is on the QB's right and the trips is on the right side of the formation. The play is designed to work like this:

QB has the option to give it to the HB moving to the left and the HB can run it up the middle, or
the QB keeps the ball, the slot receiver drops down towards the QB and they they both run to the right like a speed option. The QB can then keep it or pitch it to the slot receiver.

Here's how to make a reverse out of it.
Pre-snap motion the slot receiver to the left. You'll have to play around in practice to find out how far to the left, but I usually send him to about where the slot is on the left side.
Snap the ball and give it to the HB and run left.
The slot receiver, now on the left, runs back to the right.
When the slot is behind, but still on the left (again, play around in practice to find the correct spot) pitch it from the HB moving left to the slot receiver moving right.

This is a play that I'd only use against a user as the CPU isn't fooled and usually stops it for a loss. Even against a user, you usually require a block by your QB to get positive yards. It's nothing I'd use when I need yards, and you risk a fumble if the HB -> slot pitch isn't timed correctly, so I'd only use it if I'm up big and it's 2nd and short and only for fun, not because I expect it to work.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 08-26-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
Rookie

Sounds pretty cool, I'll try that out.

Quote:
This is a play that I'd only use against a user as the CPU isn't fooled and usually stops it for a loss.
Unfortunately that seems to be true of all reverses and end arounds in the game, as far as I can tell. I hardly ever call them but when I do I usually realize midway through, "Oh yeah - this is the play where I need to make three guys miss just to get a minimal gain. Why did I call this again??"
Old 08-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #4
Banned

swhyte21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
I've made my own reverse play in '09 and '10, but I haven't tried it in '11, but I'm sure it'd still work. I call a slot option play from a SG trips formation. The HB is on the QB's right and the trips is on the right side of the formation. The play is designed to work like this:

QB has the option to give it to the HB moving to the left and the HB can run it up the middle, or
the QB keeps the ball, the slot receiver drops down towards the QB and they they both run to the right like a speed option. The QB can then keep it or pitch it to the slot receiver.

Here's how to make a reverse out of it.
Pre-snap motion the slot receiver to the left. You'll have to play around in practice to find out how far to the left, but I usually send him to about where the slot is on the left side.
Snap the ball and give it to the HB and run left.
The slot receiver, now on the left, runs back to the right.
When the slot is behind, but still on the left (again, play around in practice to find the correct spot) pitch it from the HB moving left to the slot receiver moving right.

This is a play that I'd only use against a user as the CPU isn't fooled and usually stops it for a loss. Even against a user, you usually require a block by your QB to get positive yards. It's nothing I'd use when I need yards, and you risk a fumble if the HB -> slot pitch isn't timed correctly, so I'd only use it if I'm up big and it's 2nd and short and only for fun, not because I expect it to work.
I remember doing that in the ps2 days

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »