Home

Does EA need to start over?

This is a discussion on Does EA need to start over? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Does EA need to start over?
Yes 18 18.56%
No 72 74.23%
I am not really sure 7 7.22%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-03-2010, 12:09 PM   #25
MVP

grismosw's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: Does EA need to start over?

Absolutely not. I don't know why it would even be considered at this point, it took 4 years to get to where we are now.

I actually hate that EA seems to think it is best to start over in new generations of consoles, they lose all the progress they make. See MLB The Show and NBA 2K, those two didn't start over and they are light years ahead of Madden and NCAA today.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Since people have asked, I will list my problems.

1) Dynasty mode is a complete mess. Three years into my dynasty and I can't play it because the CPU doesn't have a correct depth chart for 60% of the teams. Such a huge bug that should never had made it into the final game, yet somehow it did.

Dynasty sim stats are complete trash. Sure, the first couple of numbers look fine, but when you look at the stats compared to real life stats from past seasons, NCAA's sim stats are a joke and that really hurts the game for me as sim stats are a big aspect to me.

Features, or lack there of. 6 years ago dynasty mode had a lot more features than it has now. I want medical red shirts, in season progression, spring practices,etc, etc. I want things that should be in the game by now. Why 6 years later on newer technology do we have less? Dynasty mode really has nothing outside recruiting and playing your game which is way too boring. I can't stand to play a season of dynasty mode without it being online with others so it feels somewhat alive, but even in our third year this game feels extremely stale in terms of dynasty.

2) Gameplay is okay finally, but still needs loads of improvement. Sure NCAA seemed to have finally gotten okay gameplay this year. But its still a mess to me. At first I loved the gameplay, but now after the "newness" wore off and I have seen mostly everything, this game needs fixing in a lot of areas.

We'll start with run blocking. Its a lot better than its ever been, but it still needs to be improved a good amount. Fullback logic is the biggest issue in this category. I can go a whole game without my 85 overall fullback touching someone. When its an inside run, the full back usually does pretty good and will find somebody to hit. But if you try to run something thats not a dive or slam, then you're full back just looks like an idiot.

He'll run outside with you, then cut up like he is going to make the block, but then he doesn't hit the guy 2 inches beside him and instead turns back to the other side of the field and hits someone who never had a chance on the play. The pulling lineman usually does the same a lot too. I don't know how many times I have ran a toss play in our dynasty just to have my FB and G miss the only player unblocked on that side of the field. A play that should have been a touchdown or at least a big gain turned into a 3 yard loss because both my blockers who are highly rated missed the one little safety charging in. They didn't miss him because he took a great angle, or was too fast. They missed him because they weren't aiming for him, but instead they were turned around blocking the trailing DT that would never catch my scat back.

Also, on toss plays, I have seen a lot of times that the guard finally gets that block like he was supposed to, but then its me just behind my fullback and there is one safety in front of us. But what happens is the CB finally disengages from the WR 3 yards behind us and the FB magically turns around to get that trailing CB instead of the safety in front of me that stopped me from scoring.

Run blocking is improved this year, but it definitely needs tuning, especially in the second level. Another issue is pass blocking. Its not a huge issue by any means, but I think its important. The pocket is still not really a great pocket. I see a lot of times the pocket really doesn't look like a pocket, but just looks like what we had in the PS2 era with my guys just standing randomly ordered blocking. The tackles didn't fall back and get containment, they stood up when the ball was hiked and instantly engaged right there at the line of scrimmage If anyone is back a few steps blocking, ts usually my guards. The center on the other hand will go a lot of pass plays without touching a sole. Pass blocking needs the same amount of work done to it that run blocking received this year.

In the trenches, I think EA did an okay job, but for a game in 2010, I expected a bigger improvement over NCAA 06 then what we have now. Its been 5 years and I honestly can't say gameplay has improved like its 5 years in the future now. It feels like gameplay has improved maybe 1/2 a years work, but in no way is this game on schedule. I seriously think NCAA is so far behind(Madden too) that at least on current systems we'll never see a football game that truly feels next gen.

Another beef of mine is the passing game. I have already covered the blocking and how ugly it can be at numerous times throughout a game. But there are still many many problems with the passing game. The first and most obvious is pass coverage. This area of the game has actually gotten worse since NCAA 06 which is just depressing. Defensive backs in this game show no true technique at all covering WR's. The only thing that looks okay is the press blocking and thats just an animation playing out and it too could really use some work.

But when it comes to pass coverage the backs in this game just look silly. The backs don't really ever show any true technique on how to cover a WR, so EA paints over this and makes them run the route with the WR and that in turn is just a pain to watch. I don't know how many times I have tried to throw an out route, a timing route, just to have the defensive back making the cut towards the sideline before my receiver. Its an ugly thing to watch and happens on almost all routes.

I try to run a timing based passing game, but that really doesn't work unless I dumb down sliders a lot and that doesn't really work well because when I tried that in my OD, everyone was throwing very good games. I am not expecting 22/29 305 yards 3 TDs and 0 INT games. I just want to have my passing game produce realistic stats. Before the patch I thought I found that as after our first year in the online dynasty I threw for 2,600 yards, 60% completion, 18 TDs, and 5 INTs with Jacory Harris. Ever since the patch though I can't find a good point for CPU coverage.

That may be a problem with me, but if this game just had correct coverage and wasn't so faulty, then finding that perfect slider would not be so hard and may not even be needed. EA showed the offense some love, how about they show the defense some love this coming year and really get the defense to play realistically for the first time this generation.

Another two problems with the passing game is the trajectory of passes and the reaction time of lineman and linebackers. I know that tipped passes happen sometimes in football games. But they do not happen almost once a possession. A lineman tipping a pass happens maybe 4 times a game. A linebacker jumping up and tipping a pass though, happens probably 1 time every 2 or 3 games. That never happens and is usually considered a top play. In NCAA 11 it is the norm though and really hurts the passing game. I hate thinking I have a TD when I lob the ball to my WR in the endzone, but before the ball travels 10 yards some linebacker jumps up and tips my lob pass out of the sky.

The problem wasn't he jumped too high because by going into replay and watching, the linebackers only look 2 feet off the ground and thats easy for any athlete to reach. The problem is how fast these players react and how often they can time it right and make that swat. If EA could tone this down tremendously the passing game would be a lot better. They need to have it happen very very rarely and leave the animation, just have the backer time it wrong and be late more often. I want to see this tipped pass by the linebackers happen once a game at the most on average.

I also have a problem with defensive lineman and passing. Yesterday I was playing and was running slants. The defense was off my WRs 7 yards. So I hiked the ball and immediately threw the ball. I though I had an easy completion, but the defensive end on that side almost picked it off. He somehow was able to get out of his stance and do a catch animation before the DT beside him was even engage with the lineman in front of him. Thats ridiculous if you ask me. In now way would he ever be up that fast, and in now way could he react that fast. Plays like that happen way too much. The defensive players react so fast to the ball its insane. The average NFL defensive end wouldn't even be able to react to a bullet pass coming t their side when they should not even be out their stance yet.

Before I waste anymore space I am just going to stop. But as you can see, this game has many faults to me and even though they are little, add them up and you just have a big mess. I figured in 2010 we would have realistic gameplay and realistic stats, but all we have thats realistic is the graphics. Everything else has either taken baby steps since NCAA 06 or has actually worsened.

― Plato
Old 09-03-2010, 12:23 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 4

Holy crap, man. I wouldn't have started reading that if I realized it was fifty-eight pages long.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 34

For crying out loud.

The second coming could happen today, and some people on OS would would say, "What took you so long?"

Let it be...please.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Some people asked me what my problems were. I posted them and now people are angry I did. I don't like the game as much as some of you, but that doesn't mean we have to be angry towards one another. Let's all come together and form peace.

PEACE!(the only way to have peace is when EA adds dreads!)

― Plato
Old 09-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #30
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

I agree with everything you said, but starting over isn't the answer. We just need to hold these guys to a higher standard and expect excellence instead of settling for mediocrity.

Most of what has been mentioned just comes down to effort and dedication IMO. I don't know where the disconnect lies within Tiburon (could be resource constraint, lack of budget, lack of quality personnel, poor management, or lack of creativity/innovation). The Madden team took a ton of criticism a few years ago and actually pushed out quality innovations last year (along with a shift in management and key personnel). What that tells me as a consumer is that we'll only get a quality product when the development company is motivated to put the energy and effort into the product. Negative feedback and low sales = Motivation. Not to say that the NCAA team doesn't have hard-working individuals, but has anyone heard of any turnover on the NCAA team in terms of the people involved in the past few years? Any fresh blood on the team to actually provide new ideas?

Like I said before, areas of the game that don't require advanced 3D game programming need to be as perfect as possible in a game series that has been around for over a decade. These are concepts that can be ported from console to console and generation to generation, yet we're still playing a dynasty mode that feels like it belongs on PS1 or GameCube.

It seems as if EA has turned its focus on Online Gaming instead of maximizing the actual game quality. Adding a new online feature does not excuse a lack of game advancement, but that has been the model for 3 years now. Add one new headline online feature, port over some Madden technology, and leave the foundation relatively untouched.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:56 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

You basically hit the nail on the head with that last paragraph. All EA is focused on is online which is sad. I know a ton of people play online, but I bet a ton of people play dynasty mode and half those that play online play dynasty mode too. Last year I played online a lot because dynasty mode was so bring to me, but when EA looks at the numbers they would see I liked online over dynasty.

I think if EA improved dynasty every year by a good amount and kept making gameplay better, they would see a lot more people than they think play dynasty mode. Its just so stale and outdated we can't play it regularly anymore because its been the same thing for 4 years outside a few recruiting changes.

I don't know what we have to do to get EA to actually push out their best product possible., but if the trend continues, next year we might receive some gameplay advances, but they won't be complete. But what will be complete will be the new online feature.

I wish we could get EA to listen, but after years of trying, I have really lost hope if you all can;t tell by me just posting recently.

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2010, 01:56 PM   #32
Banned

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
You basically hit the nail on the head with that last paragraph. All EA is focused on is online which is sad. I know a ton of people play online, but I bet a ton of people play dynasty mode and half those that play online play dynasty mode too. Last year I played online a lot because dynasty mode was so bring to me, but when EA looks at the numbers they would see I liked online over dynasty.

I think if EA improved dynasty every year by a good amount and kept making gameplay better, they would see a lot more people than they think play dynasty mode. Its just so stale and outdated we can't play it regularly anymore because its been the same thing for 4 years outside a few recruiting changes.

I don't know what we have to do to get EA to actually push out their best product possible., but if the trend continues, next year we might receive some gameplay advances, but they won't be complete. But what will be complete will be the new online feature.

I wish we could get EA to listen, but after years of trying, I have really lost hope if you all can;t tell by me just posting recently.
People complained about this series for the past two or three years, saying how bad it was getting. People even questioned if the series would survive another year.

By almost ALL accounts, this game has improved immensely and people are enjoying it this year. From one development cycle to the next, how much were you expecting the game to improve? We got a lot of the things they've missed in past versions of the game, such as ESPN integration, formation subs, more equipment options, referees, gang tackles, conference logos, etc... All they can do is BUILD on this. The game wasn't going to return to it's previous prominence in one development cycle, man. It's (hopefully) just going to get better.

Is it perfect? No, not even close. Hopefully EA fixes some of these bugs with the next patch and I do agree that the depth chart issue is a big problem. But it seems like you're saying the game hasn't taken any steps forward and asking people if EA should completely start over.

I just think it's a bit too drastic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »