Home

The problems with EA’s (Spot Dropping) zone coverage explained

This is a discussion on The problems with EA’s (Spot Dropping) zone coverage explained within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2010, 08:54 PM   #17
Rookie

seawolves9's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: The problems with EA’s (Spot Dropping) zone coverage explained

Couldn't they just keep the vision cone optional? So those who like it can keep it on, those who don't can take it off.. I know the real question is what will it be for default online, but at least make it an optional setting. Maybe have it as a search setting, so you can find other gamers who play with the cone. I thought it was a great addition to the football series'. It's probably right up there with locomotion if you ask me.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:56 PM   #18
MVP

youALREADYknow's Arena

OVR: 28

The problem that most people had with the vision cone was that it shifted the user's view of action on the field. Changing the way that people look at a game is always a tough sell (see Backbreaker).

All that would need to be done to implement it properly IMO is remove the "cone" aspect of it. In reality there are three portions to the football field (left, middle, and right) and that's where the QB's vision needs to be to throw the ball accurately.

The user should be able to look left/middle/right with the QB at any time to find a WR. This kind of vision should also align with the QB's footwork in the pocket, stance when throwing the ball, and vision should increase/decrease to a side of the field when out of the pocket. There doesn't need to be any visual cue on the field because the QB's footwork, stance, and helmet direction should always show where they are looking. The QB's first "direction" should always be their primary target on the play (which is already displayed in the play art as the orange route). This should also be part of the pre-play snap adjustments (i.e. hot route QB to look left at the snap).

The key to getting this right is always going to be how harsh the penalty for accuracy is when the QB throws to an area that they aren't looking for. Ideally the penalty should be subtle (slightly lower throw velocity, looser spiral, over/under thrown) and not result in the QB throwing the ball directly at defenders for INTs every time.

I don't know how to translate this to a controller, but there are many ways that it can be done. One-button, two-button, stick controls.... I'll leave that to others. I just want to see passing simulated more accurately.
Old 09-09-2010, 10:41 PM   #19
Pro

OVR: 5

How about, when the ball is snapped the only passing icons appear are for the WRs that are lined up on the same side as the primary WR on that particular play? And as the QB goes through his reads the other icons pop up above the other WRs who are running their routes. Maybe even make it so that the better QBs with good awareness can see the entire field and the inexperienced ones only can see the WRs line up on the same side with the primary.

THOUGHTS?

Last edited by novadolla; 09-09-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:43 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by youALREADYknow
The key to getting this right is always going to be how harsh the penalty for accuracy is when the QB throws to an area that they aren't looking for. Ideally the penalty should be subtle (slightly lower throw velocity, looser spiral, over/under thrown) and not result in the QB throwing the ball directly at defenders for INTs every time.

Thank you. This is a pet peeve of mine with NCAA 11, which for the most part I am very fond of. I genuinely dislike how the passing system seems to pretty much always result in either a completion or a deflection/pick. What happened to just slightly missing your target? The game seems to calculate results rather than simply calculating where the ball will go (on target, slightly off, WAY off) and then letting the results unfold naturally. I posted a thread about that and got zero responses - maybe I was too long-winded, or maybe it just doesn't bother people as much as it does me. But if you watched the Vikes last night, Favre was slightly out of sync with his receivers for the entire 2nd half, with lots of near-misses, very few of which were touched by a defender. That kind of thing happens a lot in real life, rarely in NCAA or Madden games.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:36 PM   #21
Brake less...Go Faster!

Sundown2600's Arena

OVR: 13

Man we gotta keep this thread rolling. I just don't understand why some BS combat jersey DLC thread gets so much love and nobody around here wants to touch this. Very good ideas guy let's keep them coming.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2010, 11:55 PM   #22
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

I absolutely love the way this was written up. This is a quality thread.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »