Home

120 ways to win my fanny

This is a discussion on 120 ways to win my fanny within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-10-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
MVP

OVR: 20
Re: 120 ways to win my fanny

The CPU can't run the option, and since the OL assignments on the option are very very poorly designed in the game, the human can't either, not without making the sliders extremely in favor of the human.

I tried it a little bit on Slow this morning and it was better...not good, but better. On Normal speed, it's impossible because if the DE that you read crashes, the QB keeps...and he's invariably stopped from behind by the backside DE and DT who should be down blocked or cut.

If the DE stays at home, you give to the FB, but the DT's go from taking outside moves to changing direction at the drop of a dime and stopping the FB for 2 yards.

Once in a blue moon you'll pop one where the QB will break the tackle, and that seems to be the only way for the human to run the option successfully and get yards.

I think the game plays wonderfully, but the option (all types and formations) is bunk...the coding for the assignments are all wrong, specially on the backside of the play where the OL should be down blocking or cutting the DL guys.

I actually went to a replay, and saw this...

the DE crashed down, my read is to keep the ball. Upon review, the LG and LT, didn't even block the DT or the DE backside...they went to the 2nd level for LB's and a safety, which allowed the DE to chase the QB from behind. Not did this happen just once, it happend on 18/21 option plays....the OL guys are blocking like they would in a pro-style offense, which leads me to believe even more that the only offenses that you can run against the CPU are pro-style or the air raid.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiehm
The CPU can't run the option, and since the OL assignments on the option are very very poorly designed in the game, the human can't either, not without making the sliders extremely in favor of the human.

I tried it a little bit on Slow this morning and it was better...not good, but better. On Normal speed, it's impossible because if the DE that you read crashes, the QB keeps...and he's invariably stopped from behind by the backside DE and DT who should be down blocked or cut.

If the DE stays at home, you give to the FB, but the DT's go from taking outside moves to changing direction at the drop of a dime and stopping the FB for 2 yards.

Once in a blue moon you'll pop one where the QB will break the tackle, and that seems to be the only way for the human to run the option successfully and get yards.

I think the game plays wonderfully, but the option (all types and formations) is bunk...the coding for the assignments are all wrong, specially on the backside of the play where the OL should be down blocking or cutting the DL guys.

I actually went to a replay, and saw this...

the DE crashed down, my read is to keep the ball. Upon review, the LG and LT, didn't even block the DT or the DE backside...they went to the 2nd level for LB's and a safety, which allowed the DE to chase the QB from behind. Not did this happen just once, it happend on 18/21 option plays....the OL guys are blocking like they would in a pro-style offense, which leads me to believe even more that the only offenses that you can run against the CPU are pro-style or the air raid.
I havent played post-patch 3 but before that the DTs and backside DE's were way too quick off the ball and their ability to chase down much faster players caused a lot of grief in running out of the gun.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

I have had pretty good success running more traditional option offenses (Georgia Tech, Navy) but haven't done as well using the shotgun offenses like Oregon. In large part I think that is because the read option plays dont work very well (the DE can basically make a play on the QB or the RB), but the defense always seems to be in the backfield quickly when I try the option offense.

When I run the flexbone or the wishbone though, I've had a lot more success. As long as I change up the plays enough, I usually get some really nice drives going.

The CPU is terrible at running the option though. Whenever I play a game in a dynasty against an option team, I usually just turn my tackle slider down and bump un the computer running game a bit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 9

I agree with most of this. The 120 ways to win thing is such an ironic gimmick this year. Sure, they've tried to accurately capture dozens of different styles and every team really does feel different... like you feel like if you have a bad passing game you HAVE to run with specific teams, but, with the glitches that the game suffered from especially after Patch #2, I found myself using a handful of plays and styles in every game, and that's it. On defense especially. I thought like "120 Ways to Win... except on defense, where only 2 plays are effective and the rest are crap."

bUt then Patch 3 came out and defensive play has been pretty solid.
Old 09-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

My experiences have been different. I haven't run flexbone offenses, but I've had quite a lot of luck running the spread option against the CPU, but I get stonewalled when I try to run it against users in my OD.

Now, I have Denard Robinson and Devin Gardner as my QBs to run the option and I mainly use Mississippi State and Oregon's playbooks, but running the read option, load option, speed option, and triple option I usually average between 4-6 YPC for my backs, 2-4 YPC for my QBs, depending on how many sacks they eat, and 6-12 YPC for my receivers.

This is on AA with adjusted sliders.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 09-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #14
Rookie

silkysmooth's Arena

OVR: 2

I have far more success with the option when I run a more balanced pro style offense and mix in a few deceptive option plays a game. Trying to run a whole offense based on it doesn't really work too well.

I've had the CPU have a ton of success running the ball. I've given up 100 yard games to a variety of different HBs. The draw/delay game from any formation kills me from any formation. I've also given up decent gains on speed options and zone read plays where I either overpursue the QB or they run to a side where they have more blockers than I have defenders. They don't really base an entire offensive scheme off of this though. Even option teams I face pass way too much and abandon the running game far too quickly.

They need to redo how the CPU controlled players react to option plays. Right now there is no leeway. They aren't fooled at all no matter what. The only way to have a good option play is to catch them in man coverage and motion people around to run away from their secondary. In reality, there is a very real period of chaos on option plays where not every single defensive player knows immediately where the ball is.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:03 PM   #15
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkysmooth
I have far more success with the option when I run a more balanced pro style offense and mix in a few deceptive option plays a game. Trying to run a whole offense based on it doesn't really work too well.

I've had the CPU have a ton of success running the ball. I've given up 100 yard games to a variety of different HBs. The draw/delay game from any formation kills me from any formation. I've also given up decent gains on speed options and zone read plays where I either overpursue the QB or they run to a side where they have more blockers than I have defenders. They don't really base an entire offensive scheme off of this though. Even option teams I face pass way too much and abandon the running game far too quickly.

They need to redo how the CPU controlled players react to option plays. Right now there is no leeway. They aren't fooled at all no matter what. The only way to have a good option play is to catch them in man coverage and motion people around to run away from their secondary. In reality, there is a very real period of chaos on option plays where not every single defensive player knows immediately where the ball is.
Agree with everything you said, but particularly with whats highlighted. This goes for online play as well. I played a guy about a month ago who was using Gtech and tried running the option the entire first half. I stuffed him continuously. It was so easy I was actually upset and disappointed that he wasn't able to have any success with it. I actually mixed in some option plays myself running a balanced pro offense, and ended up having more success with it than he did. The second half he basically gave up on it and started passing.

That was the last time Ive played someone who tried running an option offense exclusively..... I wanted it to be a good game and for him to have success. I have no problem with losing, but it gets boring when people have to resort to the same ol stuff just to have any success because of stuff like this.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »