Home

Zone Read plays

This is a discussion on Zone Read plays within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-22-2010, 04:16 AM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Zone Read plays

I have been working on trying to balance the game out with sliders so that I can have a realistic amount of success running the read option offense without being able to just absolutely destroy the defense with other things. I'm getting really close at doing it on Varsity difficulty. I still sometimes will just absolutely NOT be able to run it and have to change my entire game plan... this happens most of the time against 3-4 defenses (and average/bad teams, to boot). I torched an A- Florida defense for 320 yards rushing but struggled to get 75 versus a C Navy defense. This was with a ridiculous Alabama team in 2015 who has a fantastic running QB (91 speed, 87 agi, 93 acc).

I'm doing better in 2016 now running it (just switched to the read-option offense the previous year) despite losing half my offensive line and my stud running back - still got the QB, though. I'm using my receivers as ball carriers far more and I don't think either one of my half backs are going to sniff a thousand yards.

for the curious...
playbook: Miss. st
diff: Varsity
game speed: normal
speed threshold: zero (I think this is very important for the read option)
pertinent sliders:
USER - QB acc 5; WR catch 30; PBK 45; RBK 45; RBA 35
CPU - Pass cov 55; Pass Rush 95; INT 55; Run Def 95; Tackling 55

I'd also like to note that I hadn't played ncaa since 08 on the ps2 and have only had the game a few weeks... so there's been a big transition from ps2 to the 360 for me, plus the fact I haven't played a new ncaa game in 3 years. So these sliders may be way too easy for you, but give 'em a shot if you're looking for realistic read option results. You might tweak something even better than I've got.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:46 AM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'm starting to find success with the zone read plays. I was like many others who initially said that the whole concept was broken and the plays were useless, but, and this is the key... I went into practice mode and ran the same play over and over against the same defense. Then I changed the defense from a base 4-3 to a Nickle and ran the plan again, over and over. I practiced in this manner for over an hour. The concepts finally started to click and my ability to quickly read the play increased. I was starting to get good at it.

I transfered all of this into exhibition games against the CPU on AA. It was still tough sledding, but progress was being made. I'm now very efficient with the zone read plays/offense. You will still get blown up in the backfield many times, but just hold your water. Expect a pattern like this... 1 yard, 2 yards, 35 yards, -2 yards, 9, yards, 3 yards, 45 yards, 18 yards, -1 yards.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #19
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
The CPU isn't physic, it just plays to the down more than personnel on the field. On 1st and 2nd down, they almost always call a 4-3 whether you are running or passing. That does significantly impact the difficulty of running the ball, but that does not mean the cpu is "physic." I've caught the cpu by surprise by calling a draw in a passing situation plenty of times and vice versa.
I definitely see this a lot. It's annoying to see a 4-3 against a Dime and have to audible to quick pass plays but I'm taking what the defense is giving me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
Same thing goes for "super jumping linebackers." If you look in replay, the LB is only jumping to about knee level, which is expected from a top level college linebacker. People just try and fire low lasers over the middle, and don't put any air under the pass.
I agree that the LB leaps aren't that high but there are many times when I try to put a soft touch on the ball and the passing arc is still too low and it gets knocked down. I think the passing arcs need some work in this game to help prevent this.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #20
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I definitely see this a lot. It's annoying to see a 4-3 against a Dime and have to audible to quick pass plays but I'm taking what the defense is giving me.
It is obnoxious. I think that's the biggest problem why the spread doesn't work the way it's supposed to. In real life, if it's 1st down and they bring out 4 WR's, you're not going to come out in a 4-3 because you'll get burned with the pass. I can hurt the D with the pass pretty well on early downs because they're always in a run defense. And the cpu never really adjusts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyjuly2
I agree that the LB leaps aren't that high but there are many times when I try to put a soft touch on the ball and the passing arc is still too low and it gets knocked down. I think the passing arcs need some work in this game to help prevent this.
Pass trajectory has been too low with Madden and NCAA since about Madden 03 (maybe earlier). It's better than it has been in the past, but still needs a lot of work.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:26 PM   #21
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

The real problem with the LB swats is the fact they 1. Jump up without ever crouching or gathering themselves (look at a replay. They dont jump, they float upwards) and 2. The CPU times the swat perfectly 100% of the time and also never misses it, unlike real life where guys mistime or miss swats all the time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #22
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I'm running the spread read option just fine personally. My QB is 82 spd with 86 acc I believe.

It gets blown up here and there but then I get a big gain.

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 09-23-2010, 02:29 AM   #23
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
I'm running the spread read option just fine personally. My QB is 82 spd with 86 acc I believe.

It gets blown up here and there but then I get a big gain.
I've found you can run it on all-america if run block is at 40 and run defense is 60 or less. I haven't found how to run it on Heisman. I've had some success with run block at 50 and run defense at 50, but not as much as I'd like.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:52 AM   #24
Banned

OVR: 10

I have had QB runs off zone reads go or 20-25 y ards several times a game. But my QB is has good speed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »