Home

Zone Read plays

This is a discussion on Zone Read plays within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Zone Read plays

Can anyone get these to work with any shred of consistency? They only work for me if the running back is the correct read and I make it. My quarterback gets blown up every single time whether the keep is the right read or not. EA's claim that the new locomotion system makes the DE unable to stop and tackle the quarterback if he initially bites on the running back is... simply 100% untrue. If the DE goes for the running back and I keep the ball, the DE just turns 180 degrees on a dime and tackles me. And even if I manage to break the tackle, there are already at least two defenders in the backfield. I know this is probably partially due to the flawed blocking assignment system in shotgun formations (except the DE still being immune to the laws of physics); I'm just wondering if anyone has figured out any adjustments like those found to make other broken shotgun running plays more effective.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Zone Read plays

I bet the CPU is run-blitzing from the backside. the DE will bite on the fake, but the linebacker or corner, or both will be coming from the backside and smash you. CPU tends to do that and your ****ed either way.

QB keep = crushed by a blitzing linebacker or 2.
QB handoff = back gets crushed by blitzing linebacker or 2.

Those DE's will get you though, they'll act like they're biting and then as soon as you keep it, that same DE crushes you.

It's a waiting game and I use the pass and sweep, off-tackle plays out of the shotgun to set it up. Granted I may only get a few ypc, but when I run the zone-read I can usually get a good amount of yards or bust a big run. I don't run it as much now because my starting QB isn't quick or fast enough to get outside and up-field.

Right now I run my QB out of shotgun heavy, and the 5 wide QB jet sweep. <---I get slaughtered on that play..****n with caution.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:16 AM   #3
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Psychic playcalling and the fact that the DE is the only defender who ever bites on the fake (while everyone else knows exactly where the ball is) make the zone read very difficult for a lot of people. The only shotgun runs that work in my experience are halfback dives. You can find 4 of them in Oregon, Auburn, and Mississippi State playbooks and 3 in a few others. Some speed options work too. But not zone read.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:45 AM   #4
Banned

OVR: 1

call a pass play then audible to zone read and it should work
Old 09-17-2010, 12:27 PM   #5
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by thf24
Can anyone get these to work with any shred of consistency? They only work for me if the running back is the correct read and I make it. My quarterback gets blown up every single time whether the keep is the right read or not. EA's claim that the new locomotion system makes the DE unable to stop and tackle the quarterback if he initially bites on the running back is... simply 100% untrue. If the DE goes for the running back and I keep the ball, the DE just turns 180 degrees on a dime and tackles me. And even if I manage to break the tackle, there are already at least two defenders in the backfield. I know this is probably partially due to the flawed blocking assignment system in shotgun formations (except the DE still being immune to the laws of physics); I'm just wondering if anyone has figured out any adjustments like those found to make other broken shotgun running plays more effective.
With Michigan and Denard Robinson and now Devin Gardner, I'm able to run the read quite well. I usually gain yards with it and i prefer it when the read guy crashes on the HB as most of my 20+ yarders are when the QB keeps it.

The play does get blown up from time to time, but it's almost never the read guy blowing the play up if I make the correct read. It could be the DT getting off of his block or some unblocked blitzing LB, but I've never seen the read guy crash on the HB, do a 180 and then tackle my keeping QB. Sometimes the read guy won't commit to one or the other and can then tackle whoever has the ball, but this is rare. He usually makes a firm decision to go after the HB or stand straight up , and then I've never seen him go 100% after the back and then switch and catch my QB. Of course my QBs have low-mid 90s SPD and mid 90s ACC which helps tremendously, but even my recruited QBs with high 80s SPD and ACC don't get caught by the read guy.

Here are the highlights from my last OD game with Michigan. They're all 26+ yard keepers by my QB. The 1st and last are speed options while the 2nd and 3rd are read options. In the 2nd one you can see the read guy do one of the "halfway" decisions and my QB has to break the tackle. On the 3rd, he crashes on the HB and my QB is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastX21
Psychic playcalling and the fact that the DE is the only defender who ever bites on the fake (while everyone else knows exactly where the ball is) make the zone read very difficult for a lot of people. The only shotgun runs that work in my experience are halfback dives. You can find 4 of them in Oregon, Auburn, and Mississippi State playbooks and 3 in a few others. Some speed options work too. But not zone read.
Miss. St's pb actually has 5 dives it in (the most of any I've seen).
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 09-17-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 8

I can run the zone read out of the pistol effectively if I make the right reads and have the offense to run it
Old 09-21-2010, 11:31 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 0

when the defense has a 3 man front, is the read still the de or is the read the olb at that point?
Old 09-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #8
MVP

jello1717's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE_Passat'n
when the defense has a 3 man front, is the read still the de or is the read the olb at that point?
It depends on their alignment and your alignment. The read guy is the one that's not blocked in the play art on the field.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »