Home

To Redshirt Or Not To Redshirt.

This is a discussion on To Redshirt Or Not To Redshirt. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: To Redshirt Or Not To Redshirt.

I usually wind up redshirting nearly all my freshmen, since I pretty much always have juniors or seniors who are better. I did have a situation in my last season where I had 4 QBs on my roster. a 5th year senior who had started 36 games and wasn't going to lose his job, and 3 true freshmen. One of the freshmen was obviously better than the rest, one was a little worse than him, and one was a bit of a scrambler and an awful passer.

The obvious choice would be to make the best freshman the backup and not redshirt him, but my backup QBs almost never get playing time (usually less than 10 pass attempts per year). I didn't want to burn the redshirt unless my starter got hurt, so I wound up redshirting him and the scrambling QB and keeping the other QB as the backup (and he wound up having only 2 pass attempts on the year).
Old 09-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #10
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3B0W
I tend to keep it simple: I redshirt Freshman only and those unlikely to see any significant playing time.
That's how I am.

IMO, overall rating means nothing. It's all about their actual skill sets. And the game is geared to run with higher overalls being out there, so it doesn't really hurt anything to have high overall guys.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Old 09-19-2010, 06:09 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 20

I redshirt non-freshman if i change their position later in their career's. It gives them more time to learn a new position, better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the veteran
I want to know if redshirting a player has an affect on his off season progression. Like if he sits on the bench with no redshirt will he increase more??
If he sits on the bench all year they will automatically give him a redshirt so it wouldn't be any different.

I redshirt freshmen that are low on the depth chart and if injuries occur I burn it.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:27 PM   #13
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

I've had some FR come in with higher OVRs up until progression but if they are good enough to start or play in certain formations then I won't use the redshirt unless I have depth at that position.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:37 PM   #14
Rookie

209vaughn's Arena

OVR: 1

I redshirt recruits all the time. It gives them one extra year of development.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #15
Banned

osubeavs721's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3B0W
I tend to keep it simple: I redshirt Freshman only and those unlikely to see any significant playing time.
yeah im there with you. If i think the guy is going to play, i dont redshirt him. If I dont see him getting time, bring on the redshirt.

for example. I got a 4* QB rated at an 82, My Starter is a HR who is an 89 the So, behind him is an 81. So I redshirted the stud frosh. I got a 5* RB coming in at an 81 and my starter left for the NFL. so my incumbant is an 83... I didnt redshirt the frosh and after 2 games he was my starter. Now i run with a 2 back system. The 5* FR is a power back with 83 spd and 99 acc. and the back up is 92 spd and 85 acc, so i have a thunder and lightning thing going on. I love the dynamics of 'to redshirt or not to redshirt'
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »