Home

Does Size Matter

This is a discussion on Does Size Matter within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: Does Size Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfRed75
Sadly I dont think it does. EA should have strength etc tied to weight in some manner but I dont believe they do.

As evidence witness the 6'1" 184lb DE a friend just recruited as an athlete and put at DE. (I personally am somewhat pissed as I think its ultra f-ing cheese if the guy can play every down at that size) What are his attributes you ask?

98 SPEED!! 94 Accel 82 agility Oh but he probably is weak and cant tackle right?

80 Strength 85 tackle 85 hit power and a respectable 70 block shed

Its obvious this guy was meant to be a safety, a big mean corner maybe, or I could even buy a hybrid peso type backer like Nebraska uses as part safety part linebacker. But no, thanks EA, he's a 85 overall DE as a true freshman at 6'1" 184lbs.

End of rant, long story short, height and weight havent meant **** in NCAA football for as long as I can remember.

So have fun and go for those 5 star 6'0" 250lb tackles and guards.
If those are his stats it really wouldn't matter where you lined him up on D he would be wrecking ppl. Last Gen during progression players gained weight if you went to the very end it would have weight as a stat and they would usually gain weight but i haven't really paid attention to weight on next gen in ncaa 11 due to not looking to see if i guess gained weight.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:40 PM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucianoJJ
Bring on a new physics engine! While working on rosters, you run across plenty of 230 pound defensive ends. I can see giving them some attributes to battle the 300 hogs on the O-Line. But, there is no way you should have anyone less than 230 at DE, or 260 at DT dominating in D-1 football in 2010, unless they have All-American talent.

There are many D-1 teams that have DE's around 230 lbs. Teams are recruiting lighter/smaller and quicker Defensive ends these days.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:50 PM   #11
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

I got 2 guys from the same class that I almost didn't recruit at all due to size. But using Pocket Scouts app I decide to recruit them. Here they are.

Player 1: A 5'11" 275lb guard. He came in as a 81ovr with 91acc; and low 80's in rb & pb ratings. In 2 years the guy is a Outland winner and one of the best pulling gurads I have ever seen. The guy will just kill his man on blocks.

Player2: A 5'10" 189lbs (came in at 185lbs) RsFr HB. The guy is a power back with 88 trucking; 84 spd; 89acc; 79 btk. The guy has 7.8 ypc all due to running over people. I have not had any back go over 5 ypc.

With these 2 players I have become a running team. These 2 guys should not be beast due to their size but thanks to the ratings they are. I also had a issue recruiting players that didn't fit the 3-4 as far as size and weight goes but now I have said what ever and recruit guys that are strong. Size and weight = nothing. This is something EA needs to fix.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2010, 10:55 PM   #12
MVP

OVR: 20

There is no weight-based momentum, so weight has no factor. Possibly why players don't gain weight at the same rate regular college players do.

Example: A O-lineman out of high school may come in at 250-270lbs, but by the time he is a senior they usually weigh 285-300lbs+.

But in the game, the 250-270lb lineman will only gain 6-12 pounds before his career is over.

At least in my experience anyways.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:57 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 2

doesn't matter at all from my experience.
Old 09-20-2010, 10:57 PM   #14
All Star

Kobalt's Arena

OVR: 41

I'm not really sure about weight but I do think height matters for certain position like WR. In my South Carolina dynasty, everytime I threw a fade in the endzone to either Jeffrey or Gurley they came with the ball when it was one on one against the CB.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:24 AM   #15
MVP

deadlyCane's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by the veteran
If you really care that much just create identical players and go on the practice field and test. Does weight/size make a difference or is it all stats?
I've done things like this in the past and I would again if I had the time. I'm grown man with a wife with whom I must spend time. The little time I get to play the game I would rather play it than messing around in practice. For me the quickest way to get the answer is to find out from others who spent more time with the game. Besides, bringing it up might lead to a discussion that influences EA to factor this more in future games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thf24
I'm pretty sure that in past games all weight affected was appearance, but with the new "locomotion" system it might factor in. Even if that's true I'm sure strength still plays a larger part.
That's what I would think but it doesn't appear that way. I would like to see weight factor in so that if I have an undersized player on the offensive or defensive line he gets worn down by the bigger player. For example, he might lose stamina at a faster rate as he goes up against the bigger opponent. I would like to see them factor the player's weight more greatly. Of course it would factor in with strength. It would be easier to move a 215 lb player with 80 strength than it is a 280 lb player with 80 strength.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
I got 2 guys from the same class that I almost didn't recruit at all due to size. But using Pocket Scouts app I decide to recruit them. Here they are.

Player 1: A 5'11" 275lb guard. He came in as a 81ovr with 91acc; and low 80's in rb & pb ratings. In 2 years the guy is a Outland winner and one of the best pulling gurads I have ever seen. The guy will just kill his man on blocks.

Player2: A 5'10" 189lbs (came in at 185lbs) RsFr HB. The guy is a power back with 88 trucking; 84 spd; 89acc; 79 btk. The guy has 7.8 ypc all due to running over people. I have not had any back go over 5 ypc.

With these 2 players I have become a running team. These 2 guys should not be beast due to their size but thanks to the ratings they are. I also had a issue recruiting players that didn't fit the 3-4 as far as size and weight goes but now I have said what ever and recruit guys that are strong. Size and weight = nothing. This is something EA needs to fix.
Yes, I'm annoyed by this as well. The attributes of the generated recruits often don't match up with their size. I'll see a 6'2" 210 lb 4* CB with C- press rating then I see a 3* 5'10" 155 lbs CB with B+ press rating. How about the 6'1" 175 lb power HB? I'm not saying that's not possible but from my limited sample these things seem to be too frequent.

Just this recruiting season I'm in I past on a 4-star 6'2" 210 lbs DE because of his size. I thought it was cheese. He really wanted to play for my school really bad too. The cpu didn't start recruiting him until about week 7 or 8. I keep doubting myself as to whether I should have just recruited him and pretended he weighed more.

MLB: Toronto Blue Jays
NBA: Toronto Raptors
CFL: Toronto Argonauts
NFL: Miami Dolphins
NCAA Football: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Basketball: Miami Hurricanes
NCAA Baseball: Miami Hurricanes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2010, 08:45 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 4

Here is what I have found out about when it comes to playing along the defensive line in this game.

At DT, strength determines if the player will be driven off the line by the player(s) blcoking him. Power move rating determines how well the player will be able to hold up against the double team. Finesse move determines how well the player will be able to pass rush. Block shed determines how quickly the player will be able to get off a block once engadged.

Height helps with batting balls down and weight determines the apperance of the player (heavier the bigger), now because of collision rules this helps when blockers must go reach the second level as they must go around the bigger player. Smaller guys seem to always let the double team block reach the second level as the blocker doesn't have to move as far to get there.

So size doen't matter in the way it should mean as a 6'5'' 380 pound NT with 72 strength is still going to get blocked and pushed back to the second level but he may not allow one of those blockers to block the linebacker.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »