Home

4-2-5 Defense

This is a discussion on 4-2-5 Defense within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-23-2010, 02:12 AM   #1
Rookie

GoRebs's Arena

OVR: 1
4-2-5 Defense

Is anyone else having a problems with running this defense? It seems like one of my corners who was playing man on a slot receiver kept standing right behind one of the defensive tackles refusing to go cover the slot leaving him wide open everytime this happened. Obviously its frusterating and I'm curious if anyone else has had the same issue? Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2010, 07:53 AM   #2
Rookie

Re: 4-2-5 Defense

Yes - I've had the same thing. I ran this D on 2010 and was real successful with it. I just quit using it about 5 days ago. But I know exactly what you're talking about. If your opponent streaks that slot WR and your safety can't get over in time. It's 6.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
MVP

IlluminatusUIUC's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylastexit
Yes - I've had the same thing. I ran this D on 2010 and was real successful with it. I just quit using it about 5 days ago. But I know exactly what you're talking about. If your opponent streaks that slot WR and your safety can't get over in time. It's 6.
Since the patch which loosened up the man coverage, I've found that only having one deep safety is a killer. Flag routes from the slot are absolute beasts against it.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
The Print Guy

65South's Arena

OVR: 23

@GoRebs - Yes, and very frustrating.

Unfortunately, this has been a complaint about the 4-2-5 defense almost since launch. That I know of, there hasn't been a workaround found for it. Shifting doesn't work and man align doesn't do anything to help counter the problem either. Against 3 WR sets, especially bunch formations, I highly recommend Nickle or Nickle Strong if you want to go with 5 DBs.

PSN: Sixty5South
Old 09-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #5
Rookie

GoRebs's Arena

I hate it because I truly think that this defense has A TON of potential if it worked properly on the game and if you have the right personel of course (TCU). I hate running the 4-3 cuz it sucks against the Pass and the 3-4 cuz it sucks against the run (all the linebackers get picked up by O-Lineman). I run the Nickel a lot but I like being able to change up my looks and not have to run the same base defense every play. I wish this would get fixed! Playing defense on this game is impossible! That used to be my forte! (I play on Heisman btw)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
MVP

boisejames's Arena

OVR: 14

I run the 4-2-5 very successfully. When in man coverage I always know I might have this problem so I check on it as soon as i select the play and just manually move that safety into proper alignment if it happens.
MLB: SEA
EFL: BHA
MLS: POR
Old 09-24-2010, 03:25 AM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRebs
Is anyone else having a problems with running this defense? It seems like one of my corners who was playing man on a slot receiver kept standing right behind one of the defensive tackles refusing to go cover the slot leaving him wide open everytime this happened. Obviously its frusterating and I'm curious if anyone else has had the same issue? Thanks!
I make sure that I have some Nickel Strong plays in my Audibles, Like Cover 1 Robber, If I ever want to check to man coverage vs. Trips. Its probably best to make sure your strong safeties have good man ratings or at least some sort of hybrid CB/Safety/LB type.

But my common rules of thumb are:

- 4-4 on run downs
- 4-2-5 Normal when facing 2 WR sets when in the middle of the field
- vs 2WR sets on the hash, Use the Under when on the left hash and Over when on the right hash
- vs 3wr either blitz or check to Nickel.
- vs 4Wrs or more Nickel 3-3-5 or Dime.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:57 AM   #8
Rookie

klumdat's Arena

OVR: 5

I hate how the CB/FS/SS line up inside the LB and/or DL, then get trapped once the ball is hiked, leaving the WR wide open. This almost always happens unless you move the DB into position yourself.

..****Sh Um...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »