Home

A gripe about commentary

This is a discussion on A gripe about commentary within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #25
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: A gripe about commentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr00v
I think EA needs to take notes from MLB: The Show. That game has the best commentary I've ever heard in my life.

Personally, I don't care much about this, though. This is a petty issue. They need to work on gameplay/recruiting first and foremost.
While I agree given a choice I'd take improved gameplay, I think the value of immersion can't be overstated. I was looking at a few of my full game video captures form lastgen NCAA Football and presentation is NOT better in nextgen. Lastgen featured more relevant comments, conference standings shown before the game, and pregame graphics showing the announcers and even Corso's pregame mascot head. The overall atmosphere is worse now than it was 3 years ago on NCAA 2008 for the old Xbox. It has not gotten the attention it deserves.

I'd say go back to the PA Announcer ONLY for non-televised games, and add a second "regional" broadcast team for regionally televised games. Then add a whole lot more for them to say, and add way more context sensitive things to say like specific comments on the players and teams, how they're doing, the importance of the game, etc etc. Oh and lastly fix all the bugs where the commentators say wildly incorrect things. I see way more of that now than in lastgen.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

The one line that annoys me the most is when I'm winning big in the 4th quarter, and my defense returns an INT or fumble tor a TD and Nessler says I'm running up the score
Old 10-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 5

I went for it on 4th and 38 in my OD for fun, and I got sacked for a safety, but they said that I converted.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

z Revis's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
That said, I do like some of the things that MLB 2k's commentators are able to talk about (yesterday's performance, last year's performance, streaks, slumps, etc). That may be what is missing the most about NCAA football. You never hear Nessler say anything that has any meaning to anything but the current game except for the occasional "And that's why he's a Heisman candidate" or when you break a record.
This. It would add so much more to the commentary. They don't ever talk about the players or the teams, what kind of season the team/player is having, what they did last week/last year, what this game means for the team/player, etc.

It just needs more life. If you can play a regular season matchup between two bottom feeders in the Sun Belt and hear the exact same commentary as you would in a Oregon vs Alabama National Championship game, something is wrong with your commentary.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Last edited by z Revis; 10-22-2010 at 05:31 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »