Home

The Official "Frustrating Loss" Thread

This is a discussion on The Official "Frustrating Loss" Thread within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-30-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
MVP

Other Guy's Arena

OVR: 15
The Official "Frustrating Loss" Thread

I thought the "great game" thread was a good idea, so I thought we should try a "infuriating loss'' thread. And of course I wouldn't be starting this if it didn't happen to me, so here's my story.

I'm using my TB team, Alaska playing against Arizona. Late in the 4th quarter Arizona drives down and kicks a FG to take a 23-17 lead. I get the ball back and drive all the way down inside the Arizona 5 yard line. 45 seconds. Option play, stuffed. I do not use my last timeout, instead letting the clock run down so that if we score Arizona will not have much time left for a final possession. I snap the ball with 15 seconds left. QB drops back, reads the defense, pressure comes, SACK, FUMBLE!! So the QB fumbles, the ball is just lying there on the ground, and I have a lineman standing RIGHT THERE doing NOTHING. He's frozen motionless in some animation, just standing there, not picking up the ball. So of course Arizona falls on it and they take possession with about 6 seconds left. Game Over. Of course I'm furious because my lineman didn't get the fumble that would have given me at least one more play for the win.

So there's my story. Just a heartbreaking way to lose right? I know. OH, but wait, there's more. Arizona has it around the 10 yard line. Because I have a timeout left, they choose to call a run play rather than just kneel down. Aaaaand of course, the RB breaks two tackles and goes all the way for the 90 yard TD. Now I'm really steaming! Why the eff didn't they just kneel??? Aaaaargh! I just went from calling a game winning play to an embarrassing loss in 30 seconds.

You're not gonna believe it, but....there's more. Freakin Arizona has already shafted me out of a glorious game winning drive, and stolen the win from me. They just scored a TD to go up 29-17 and there no time on the clock. Game over. 0:00. So what does Arizona do? Yep, they go for a 2 point conversion!!!!! 12 point lead, no time left, and they go for 2. I don't think I've ever been more mad at a video game. Thankfully I stopped their screen pass short, but at this point who gives a flip?

Anyway, I just wanted to share that. So if you have a infuriating loss share ithere with the rest of us!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2010, 12:14 AM   #2
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: The Official "Frustrating Loss" Thread

Interesting that I now see this thread after just having such a game.

I'm Wazzu hosting Oregon State in my dynasty. Going into the 4th Q I lead 24-14, most of the game I had controlled so I felt good and was hoping to just eat as much clock as I could and minimize the CPU possession.

Little did I know what was in store, and I couldn't help but feel just a little cheated by the CPU.
With about 4 minutes to go, OSU heaves up a bomb of 60-something yards into double coverage and the receiver SOMEHOW manages to come down with it in the end zone. Ok, now it's 24-21 and I'm getting worried.

Still going to run the ball like mad and kill time on the next drive, maybe score to put it away, OH WAIT my return man on the ensuing kick off FUMBLES it and OSU recovers at the 20 in my territory. That would be the only time I turned the ball over the entire game...and at such a convenient time too.
The very next play I get called for a facemask so I was basically handing them a TD, which came a few plays later.

I have 2 minutes to score the go ahead TD as OSU is up 28-24. Well, I got a few solid plays but stalled around midfield where it was 3rd and inches, and 4th and inches and I could not get a first down to keep the hope alive.
UGH!
What gets me is that fumble on the kickoff return just after they scored...that was ridiculous.
And yes, I'm quite sour about that game although I know there's some things I could have done to prevent such an outcome.

Last edited by NoDakHusker; 10-01-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-01-2010, 12:31 AM   #3
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

My opponent wins the coin toss and kicks to me. My guy fumbles. Turnover. He runs a mostly legit offense though and gets the TD 7-0. First play of my next posession I throw a perfect strike to Alexander Torres. The ball morphs through his body and into the hands of the DB, who breaks the tackle and takes it to the house 14-0. My next posession on 3rd and 8 Swindell catches the crossing route pass, gets tackled after literally three steps, and drops it. Strangely enough, the game counts it as a drop even though it was actually a fumble.

His next play is an outside run where Georgia's RB breaks a three man gang tackle plus another down the field en route to a BS 80 yard TD run. My guy then fumbles the next kickoff.

I never quit unless my opponent is cheesing or glitching, but I could not stop myself from doing so this time, where the game had clearly decided I was not going to win.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:06 PM   #4
MVP

mm boost's Arena

OVR: 12

I will set the scene. Year 2, Virginia Tech Dynasty. 1-0 after beating TCU convincingly to open the season, and fresh off a 14-0 year that I got robbed out of the national championship game.

Quote:
After defeating TCU 55-21 to open the season, I travel to Duke for my 1st conference game. Planning on this game being one of those games that you view as practice and a chance to get more players experience, I was absolutely stunned. I gave Wilkinson, my JUCO transfer, the nod for his first start this week after JuJu Clayton proved himself in the first start against TCU. I did a few hours of practice, and both QBs had some things they were both strong and weak at, so I gave them true game experience to fight it out. Well, I plan on picking up my first win of ACC play against Duke behind the arm of Wilkinson.

First play from scrimmage, Wilkinson is smacked on play action, and the ball is picked off. This set the tone for the game, as Duke went down and scored quickly 7-0. I finally piece together a drive, get down the field, and punch it in on a POWERFUL run by Darren Evans 7-7. Game is back and forth throughout, and right before half, score is 14-14. I am on Duke's 32 yd line with around 20 seconds left. Wilkinson drops back in a 5 WR set, they blitz their outside linebacker. Dyrell Roberts comes open on a slant, I hit him in stride, Danny Coale cuts back towards me and absolutely blind side-levels their DB and I head down the sideline, cut outside, break a tackle before I am tripped up at the 28 yd line with 11 seconds left and 1 time out. Next play, I drop back, DJ Coles wide open in end zone, I dump the ball off, smacks him in the hands and he drops it. Then, camera cuts and Wilkinson is being attended to due to injury. In comes Clayton, 7 seconds left. Drop back, Jarrett Boykin comes open, and I hit him in stride, and dive between 2 defenders to squeak in the endzone with 2 seconds left in the half, 21-14.

2nd half begins, Wilkinson is back. I hold duke 3-and-out. I get ball, first pass from scrimmage....picked off again! Blasphemy! We fight back and forth throughout 3rd quarter, and go into 4th quarter 28-24 after I threw another pick but this time for 6 and a field goal. I step up and play defense in 4th, and hold them to 3 field goals AFTER THROWING ANOTHER INTERCEPTION. Score is 33-28 with 6 minutes left. I try to piece together a drive and work down the field. I get to their 47 yard line, 3rd and 10. I drop back, Roberts comes open on a smash route, NO ONE near him, and I toss the ball and it sails into the stands, incomplete. Forced to punt with 4 minutes left, but special teams comes up big and i down the ball on the 4 yard line. I am pretty pumped, 5 point game, 4 minutes. I got this!! WRONG!!!!! 1st play, stuffed. 2nd play, they get 4 yard gain. On 3rd and 6, the run this inside full back trap, crush my outside linebacker, then he trucks my safety, side steps my cb, and jets down the field 60 yards and tackled at the 42 yd line. I'm sweating bullets now. They wind the clock down, convert 2 more first downs, and get to my 13 yd line. After swelling up and playing some defense, we stop them short on 3rd down at the 4 yd line. they kick the field goal to make it 36-28 with 1:01 left, and no time outs. I get the kick return with a WINDED Jayron Hosley (my starting cornerback...Duke ran no huddle, they wore my defense DOWN). I get to the 16 yd line, smacked and fumbled. one of my players dives on it, thankfully. but then flag on play, holding, push me back to the 12 yd line. What a great start. 53 seconds left. I sub in JuJu as I can't take this Wilkinson play anymore. First play, wide open danny coale, ball sails out of bounds. 2nd down, sacked at the 8 yd line. clock ticking down into the 30s. 3rd down, I hit Boykin on a huge crossing route for a 27 yd gain. Hurry up the play, roll to right and hit danny coale on a big gain. I finally work to their 49 yd line. Hike the ball with 14 seconds left...throw the ball over the middle to a wide open dj coles, ball is tipped flies up in air, boykin dives and catches the ball before it hits the ground, BUT its short of a first down, so clock keeps ticking...you dumba$$!!! I hike the ball with 2 seconds left, Xavier Boyce runs an awesome route , breaks on the safety, I hit him in stride, and he runs to the 14 yd line and is tripped up...no time left...game over!! I just lost to DUKE!!! Wow...unbelieveable.

I dropped from #6 to #19 in the polls and I am at 1-1 (0-1). Horrrrrrible way to lose and way to start conference play. I was at loss for words. (for the record, I been using playmaker's sliders, but made my own tweaks. When game was playing too easy, I switched from varsity to all american...now the game plays MUCH smarter/harder). Next week, I get to travel to Bobby Dodd stadium and take on #10 Georgia Tech and their feared option attack. Get this...I have #7 Miami coming to blacksburg, travel to morgantown for #8 WVU, @ #25 rutgers, @ #19 UNC, and @ #10 georgia tech left on my schedule. It is gonna be one tough road to a bowl game/acc championship game.

Needless to say...Wilkinson handed back in his keys and JuJu Clayton is now declared the starter. Wilkinson went 9 of 24, 156 yds, 2 tds, 4 interceptions, sacked 5 times. JuJu went 5 of 7 85 yds 1 td. Ryan Williams had 2 receptions, 72 yds, 1 td. 18 carries, 94 yds. Darren Evans had 62 yds, 1 td.

Old 10-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
MVP

mm boost's Arena

Got another one:

Quote:
#2 Ranked Virginia Tech (9-0) vs. (4-5) ACC opponent, Maryland.

I come in #2 in the nation, #3 in BCS right behind Kansas, and I come to Maryland with a lot of momentum, consistent play, no key injuries, and a Heisman running back. I will pick up in the 2nd quarter, as I was winning 24-3. Everything I had been doing had been working, defense was crushing their quarterback, my db's and linebacker's were playing lights out physical defense, my offense was clicking on all cylinders, it was just a great performance. I remember thinking that this will be the first game where I come out and decimate my opponent. So I have the ball with around 3 minutes left in the 2nd quarter, I drive right down the field, get on the goaline and all my td's had been on rushes, so I decided that I wanted to do a playaction pass to get me 6 this time. I fake the handoff from the 3, roll out to the right, lead my tight end a bit since he had a step on the linebacker, but before I released the ball, my receiver cut back across underneath, and they had called man coverage, so the DB was right behind him. I released the ball headed right for the tight end's hands, but their db jumps the route and picks it off in the endzone. I was mad but I was calm, 24-3, what is the worse that can happen right? So they start at my 20 yard line and my god, their running back with the last name Scott absolutely carved my defense apart. They drove right down the field and scored a touchdown, 24-10. So okay, regain some composure, lets drive down in 50 seconds to score and drive away from them before half. WRONG. First play from scrimmage on the next drive, I do a playaction, I get speared in the stomach while throwing the ball, it flies in the air, their linebacker jumps the pass for the interception and takes it in for a touchdown. So now I am pissed, 24-17 just like that, 14 points out of nowhere. So i get the ball back with around a 30ish seconds left. First play, I scramble to the left, and get out of bounds with 20ish seconds left, i have 1 time out left so I am trying to save it. I am around the 30 yard line now. Next play, I drop back, pass to my tight end, he gets tripped up after gettin a first down, with 12 seconds left, I hurry to the line, I drop back, they blitz the house, I dump it off on a post route to greg boone down the middle of the field and I break a few tackles and I get tackled at the 21 yard line with 4 seconds left, call time out, kick the field goal, and I go up 27-17 at the half. So at half, I try to regain my composure, and just go out and play football.

To start the half, they get the ball, and here comes their running back, blazing me up on the first play for 49 yard rush. They drive right down and score, 27-24. I am sitting here at this point thinking to myself, what is happening here? So after this drive, my offense sputters as well as their offense sputting throughout the 3rd quarter, and we both enter the 4th quarter, I am winning 30-24.

To start the 4th, they have to punt the ball to me and I wanted to run the ball to milk the clock and try to win the game. But I end up getting a holding call and its 3rd and long, so I try a play action pass. I get drilled, the ball goes up in the air, one of their linebackers picks it off in the middle of the field, and he is off to the races, and they go up 31-30. I try to stay calm, knowing that only a field goal will win the game. So they kick the ball off to me, I have a nice return and I get stuck and BAM, I fumble the ball. I am FUMINGLY pissed off at this point. They go down and score 38-30, with around 4 minutes left. So I get the ball, and finally start getting my offense going, my receivers and passing game completely failed the whole game it seemed like. Anyways, so I drive down the field, and on 3rd down and 10 from the 34 yard line, ryan williams drops a wide open pass on the left side of the field that would have went for 6 as there was only one defender on that side of the field. So I make the decision to punt, knowing that I put it within reach still as long as my dense shows up, so the score is 38-33 with 2 minutes and 54 seconds left.

To start their next drive, I figured they would run the ball to run the clock out, so I put a strong side blitz on. Nekos brown breaks through the line, and they actually call a screen pass, as the qb throws the ball, brown nails him, forcing the ball to fly in the air. Their running back Scott, leaves his feet to catch the ball, and as he is coming down, Johnson puts one of the biggest hits I have seen on him, and separates him from the ball, and Cody Grimm picks it up and runs it in for 6 points and I am on my feet screamin at this point. Its 39-38, so I know I have to go for 2. I call the option and take it in easily with Tyrod, going up 41-38 with 2 minutes and 44 seconds left.

I kick the ball off and then put my defense play style to aggressive. But, little did I know, they were ready to counteract everything I called. First play, they break out that wide receiver screen again to the right, he cathces it, breaks 2 tackles and is off to the races, and goes from the 24 yard line all the way down to my 27 before getting tackled out of bounds. DAMMIT!!!!!! So they run the ball a few times, runs the clock down to around 1:30ish, and then on 3rd down, they drop back Throw a post route down the center, the slot receiver beats my Strong Safety to the inside and catches it on the goaline and walks in for 6 points, and they go up 45-41 with a minute and 15 seconds left.

I am ok tho, because I know all it takes is one touchdown to seal the deal. So I get the ball, and first play no one is open, I scramble to the left, get the first down but tackled in bounds, so I hurry to the line of scrimmage, get the ball off and complete it for about 6 yards, tackled in bounds, hurry up huddle again down to 40 seconds, I hike the ball, hit a pass to boone for the first down. Hurry back to the line, I hit a post route to the center of the field to boykin for a long first down to the 40 yard line, and I call my 2nd time out with 21 seconds left. I am sweating, but tryin to stay calm. I had noticed they were blitzing, so I called a screen on the next play. I dump it off and ryan williams drops the ball in the open, AGAIN, incomplete pass. 18 seconds left. 2nd and 10, I drop back, try to hit Boyce on a crossing route, he is stuck, incomplete, 13 seconds left, 3rd and 10. I try the same thing next play, but to different receiver, same result, incomplete, 4-10 with around 9 seconds left. I drop back, hit same wheeler on the left side in stride, he is tackled around the 20 yard line with 4 seconds left and the first down, time out. So I take a few minutes to figure out what I want to do. So I setup in shotgun, I drop back, I see Davis open in center of the field, I hit him in stride, breaks a tackle, spins then gets stuck. I try to pitch the ball but he wouldn't let go, as I had another guy right behind him and if I had pitched it, more than likely it would have went for 6. Instead he goes down, time runs off, but there is a penalty. I am hoping defense, but indeed it was offensive holding, they declined the call, game over, #2 virginia tech falls to maryland. I was fuming, but I knew it was fair, they earned it, and my offense just did not show up. Tyrod was 18-39 for 160ish yards, 1 td, and 3 ints, sacked 5 times.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

I hate Texas.

My friends and I started an OD and we're in year 4 with teambuilder teams (using san jose's rosters...they were awful) having our teams built, the week is week 10, I've had a rough start to the season, losing to USC and Ohio State as out of conference games to start off 0-2, but I've fought my way back to a 5-4 record, looking to get my first win ever against Texas as they're my rival.

Their top 3 receivers are out for the rest of the season as is their starting running back, I'm feeling pretty confident as the first three quarters are all East Texas (my school), holding them to under 100 yards before the fourth, up 13-0.

Then here comes the long horns, putting up 14 unanswered (somehow, idk how my defense just forgot to play in the fourth, but that's another rant for another time) to go up 14-13, but, they left about a minute and 30 seconds on the clock, I have three timeouts. So, I march down the field down to the 6 at about 30 or so seconds, I run the time left down to about 5 seconds before snapping it, thinking that I can't miss this. It comes down to my freshman kicker to kick the easiest, perfectly lined up field goal ever.

My thumb slips. It goes wide right. Controller proceeds to go flying from hands, along with the microphone. Screams are heard across the town.

Never have I been so frustrated at a game.

The stats for this game were

300 or so yards of offense for me.

114 for Texas. 25 rushing and 89 throwing.

TOP - 17:50 for me, 10:50 for them.

In the end, fisherball doesn't win.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
MVP

mm boost's Arena

ANDDDD one more. Sorry guys, i've had quite a few...but all entertaining lol. Virginia Tech vs Georgia Tech, both teams undefeated.

Quote:
Alright, this game was a barnburner...defensive stops after defensive stops after big hits after amazing pass breakups. Just an all around great game. I will start coverage from the 4th quarter.

Score is VT 20, GT 21. Georgia Tech had just scored to go up by a point and they kicked the ball off to the right. I had selected Josh Hosley, and apparently hit the joy stick while the ball was in the air, cause as the ball camedown, he was no where near it. I started pannicking, the ball hits the ground, but over comes Dyrell Roberts to scoop up the ball at the 5. As he does, his momentum takes him INTO the endzone, and after I did, the defenders are closing in, I hit the spin move, and two guys dive at the same time and completely miss. One of their linebackers is coming across from the side down the sideline full speed, and as I cut to the inside, one of my blockers comes across and completely wrecks the guy, blindside pancake that just obliterated him. As he goes to the ground, I highstep over him, and then I cut to the outside and I am gone down the sideline for a 95 yard touchdown, UNBELIEVABLE return! I then call an option and grab the 2 point conversion to go up 28-21 with about 2 minutes left. On the ensuing kick off, the wind catches the ball and sends it opposite of my blockers, and they field it around the 10, and he crosses the field and jets up the sideline for a touchdown in heartbraking fashion to tie it up 28 all.

So I get the ball with over a minute or so left, I run it a few times to bring the clock down before I drive down the field and try to kick a field goal or go for the game winning touchdown. the clock goes under a minute for my next play, and I call a slants play and their linebackers crashed the line to the right, so I scramble to the left with Logan Thomas, grab about 12 yards and then I am wrecked by their free safety, and I fumble the ball, the linebacker picks it up, runs over my running back Ryan Williams and heads down the sidelines for a 41 yard touchdown to go up 35-28 with around 49 seconds left. At this point I am so pissed, but I try to stay poised as I had all 3 time outs, and a touchdown ties it for OT. First play, I drop back from the 29 yard line, and I throw a wheel route out to Roberts down the sideline, but their cornerback cuts the route off and grabs the interception!! ****!!!!!! 39 seconds left 3 time outs, they get the interception at the 39 yard line. They run it on first, get tackled at 37, time out. 2nd down, same thing, tackled at 36, time out. Next play, same thing, tackled at 31, time out. 25ish seconds left, they line up for the field goal, it has the distance, but at the last second the wind catches it and it bounces off the upright, no good! Take a deep breath, there is 19 seconds left, no time outs and I have a good ways to go, 69 yards in 19 seconds with no time outs is a tough feat. First play, I drop back and I hit Danny Coale on a post route across the center of the field to grab a 10 yard gain and a first down, stops the clock with around 11 seconds. chains are set, I hurry to the line and I hot Route Danny again for another slant to try to slip infront of the safety's. I hike the ball with 9 seconds left, and I see they put on a DB blitz on the slot receiver, Boykin comes free and is waving for the ball, I throw it his way, but the ball is a little behind him, so he has to spin to catch it. He spins back around and I jet off towards the sideline to diminish the safety's pursuit. Boykin jets down the sideline 50 some yards with safety closing in from the right, I get to the 5 and he dives, hits me in the back, I carry him around 3-4 yards, and at the last second he wraps up my ankles and I fall with my knee around the 1 yardline and the ball falls a centimeter short of the goaline, and the clock is expired, game over! Oh my god, talking about heart breaking!!! Going 68 yards and falling an inch short from grabbing a touchdown to tie it up, and actually I had planned to run an option for a 2 point conversion to try to win the game, but I never got the chance. Georgia Tech got their retribution, and sent me down in the polls to #11. This is going to be one crazy year, as this was one crazy game. I loved the finish, eventhough I lost, it was great.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #8
MVP

mm boost's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Guy
I thought the "great game" thread was a good idea, so I thought we should try a "infuriating loss'' thread. And of course I wouldn't be starting this if it didn't happen to me, so here's my story.

I'm using my TB team, Alaska playing against Arizona. Late in the 4th quarter Arizona drives down and kicks a FG to take a 23-17 lead. I get the ball back and drive all the way down inside the Arizona 5 yard line. 45 seconds. Option play, stuffed. I do not use my last timeout, instead letting the clock run down so that if we score Arizona will not have much time left for a final possession. I snap the ball with 15 seconds left. QB drops back, reads the defense, pressure comes, SACK, FUMBLE!! So the QB fumbles, the ball is just lying there on the ground, and I have a lineman standing RIGHT THERE doing NOTHING. He's frozen motionless in some animation, just standing there, not picking up the ball. So of course Arizona falls on it and they take possession with about 6 seconds left. Game Over. Of course I'm furious because my lineman didn't get the fumble that would have given me at least one more play for the win.

So there's my story. Just a heartbreaking way to lose right? I know. OH, but wait, there's more. Arizona has it around the 10 yard line. Because I have a timeout left, they choose to call a run play rather than just kneel down. Aaaaand of course, the RB breaks two tackles and goes all the way for the 90 yard TD. Now I'm really steaming! Why the eff didn't they just kneel??? Aaaaargh! I just went from calling a game winning play to an embarrassing loss in 30 seconds.

You're not gonna believe it, but....there's more. Freakin Arizona has already shafted me out of a glorious game winning drive, and stolen the win from me. They just scored a TD to go up 29-17 and there no time on the clock. Game over. 0:00. So what does Arizona do? Yep, they go for a 2 point conversion!!!!! 12 point lead, no time left, and they go for 2. I don't think I've ever been more mad at a video game. Thankfully I stopped their screen pass short, but at this point who gives a flip?

Anyway, I just wanted to share that. So if you have a infuriating loss share ithere with the rest of us!
I'd be cussing in Portuguese. And I don't even speak Portuguese!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »