Home

Has anyone been able to get a spread option team rolling

This is a discussion on Has anyone been able to get a spread option team rolling within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #9
Banned

MrHyde's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: Has anyone been able to get a spread option team rolling

Use these slider settings:
CPU RB Ability 100
CPU Run Blocking 35
Human RB Ability 45
Human Run Blocking 35
Human Tackling 60
CPU Tackling 35
Human Rush Defense 0
CPU Rush Defense 0
*These sliders work well for me vs non option teams,have not tested vs option teams,but sure it would work.*Play vs an option offense to test.*

Last edited by MrHyde; 10-04-2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
Pro

Slaticus's Arena

OVR: 5

You do know the reads right? I am not making fun of you I am just asking. Anyway if you don't watch my spread option video. I think I do a good job explaining the various reads.

And yes I have a lot of success running the spread option. I mix in a lot of PA and Jet Sweeps, combined with Oregons no huddle spread option attack. I use the SN's sliders on AA. Oh, and I use oregons PB as well.

And what do you consider a "Broken Play"? Again just asking.

If you would like to see the Wing T in action, you can check out my twitch channel. I stream there..badly. I post highlights on my youtube channel as well!
Old 10-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 2

I also pass a lot and am not afraid to call a quick audible. This is mostly when I'm lined up in a 4wr set and they come out in a 4-3. I really like running out of 2te or flex formations with a fb or h-back... when I line up in one of those, I don't worry about the audible unless I see an OLB and safety showing blitz from the same side.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2010, 02:50 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 9

running out of the shotgun is easy if you have the right playbook. Oregons is good, Miss States is great and my personal favorite, like Blastx said halfback dives are money if you can get a good match up with the linebackers (if they come out in nickel or dime) but make sure its out of formations with halfback thats behind the QB about a step or two. This way when the DT or DE does that stupid super swim move, your running back is already going down hill and simply goes right past them when they do the move, as opposed to getting the hand off when the RB is standing right next to the QB and has to run horizontally thus letting the super swimming DT and DE eat up the play in the backfield. Dont get me wrong I still run that way alot, but the down hill running is my bread and butter, and watching oregon last night, thats what James was doing, running down hill and exploding past the line. BTW I have silders on AA with HUM run block at 45 and CPU run defence at 60 and still avg over 200 rush yards per game.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:27 AM   #13
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

I think you have to tailor the sliders towards your style if you're using a spread team which means that if you're in an OD someone else can't be a power running team or else they are going to rush for crazy yards.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #14
Cade Cunningham

rudyjuly2's Arena

OVR: 75

I've gotten into running the spread more lately. It's not really an issue of sliders. There are certain plays that work better than others and the cpu defensive tendencies are also a major factor in how successful you run the option.

1 - The cpu tends to use run heavy personel sets on the early downs which really hurts the read option. If you are running 4 WRs and they come out in a 4-3 or nickel you will have to think strongly about audibling to a pass play. The Read Option still works well against the right defensive package but you have to be selective when running it.

2 - Load option runs, speed options and QB powers/dives still work really well. You should have success with these plays unless the defense has overloaded that side but these are still good.

3 - Play action sucks in this game. It too often leads to a sack and this aspect hurts the spread. In real life a play action out of a read option is a huge play and used quite often but it doesn't work well in NCAA 11.

4 - It takes practice to run this offense correctly. I've spent quite a bit of time in practice mode and I'm still a work in progress but I have had success with it.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
I think you have to tailor the sliders towards your style if you're using a spread team which means that if you're in an OD someone else can't be a power running team or else they are going to rush for crazy yards.
This is fact. If you want to be able to run the read options, you have to totally crank up the human sliders and it will make the power running teams destroy the AI.

But, I have some pretty challenging Heisman sliders and I get Miss. States offense running just fine. But there are plays that just don't really work. So you have to pick and choose and limit the playbook.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2010, 01:03 PM   #16
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

I've had pretty phenominal success with my run-first spread option attack. I use the following relevant sliders:
All American
slow speed
25 threshold
user RBA: 50
user RB: 50
CPU RD: 55
CPU tackling: 55

I have the following personnel in 2016 of my Michigan dynasty:
QB Washington (wildcat QB) 85 OVR/88 SPD/88 ACC/95 AGI
QB Estes 97 OVR/93 SPD/91 ACC/96 AGI
HB Romero 94 OVR/90 SPD/93 ACC/86 AGI/92 BTK/94 TRK
HB Malloy 99 OVR/91 SPD/92 ACC/85 AGI
HB Taylor 91 OVR/99 SPD/99 ACC/99 AGI

and here are the numbers they've put up through 7 games (note their YPCs). These numbers show that I've likely outgrown my sliders.
PlayerPOSATTYDSAVGTDLONGAfter 1st Hit20+Brkn TklFUMB
Kyle Romero HB 79 523 6.6 10 89 145 4 11 1
James Estes QB 55 148 2.7 1 79 94 4 9 2
James Malloy HB 28 313 11.2 3 92 46 2 3 0
Jay Washington QB 23 125 5.4 2 34 27 4 4 2
Will Taylor HB 23 228 9.9 3 80 30 3 16 0
Keith Estes WR 5 188 37.6 3 73 5 3 1 0

My QB's average is low because he gets sacked a lot, but everyone else is putting up crazy rushing numbers. They all have a 70+ yard run. As a team we're averaging 3 20+ yarders per game.

I'm using Miss. St's playbook this year, but I've also used Oregon's pb as well. I run a lot of zone reads and get the best yards when the DE crashes on my HB so the QB can keep it. Most of my QBs' 20+ yarders are on zone read keepers. QB power plays are also very nice, especially from MSU's slot F wing. The bulk of my HB's yards are from HB dives, zone read keepers, speed options, and sweeps/bases (I never call these originally, but will quick audible to them if I have numbers on the strong side of the field). 1 thing I love about MSU's pb (as well as Louisville and ULM) is that 2 of their 5 (MSU) or 4 (UL/ULM) HB dives are the quick audible (unfortunately 0 of Oregon's 4 HBs dives are quick audibles) so I can call a pass play or speed option or whatever and then quick audible to the HB dive if the D doesn't have more guys in the box than I have blockers. If they have equal or fewer guys in the box than I have blockers, then the HB dive is big trouble for the D.

I'm loving the zone read this year and it's a big part of my offense. Another thing that's relevant is I have adjusted the CPU teams in accordance with the thread in the sliders forum regarding team tendencies. This makes rushing teams (IE. Wisconsin, Oregon, etc) run the ball more often and it also causes the CPU to not blitz as often. They still blitz a fair amount, but not 70% of the time.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

Last edited by jello1717; 10-04-2010 at 01:13 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »