Home

Has anyone been able to get a spread option team rolling

This is a discussion on Has anyone been able to get a spread option team rolling within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2010, 06:53 AM   #25
Rookie

silkysmooth's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: Has anyone been able to get a spread option team rolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlducks
I have been playing with oregon all season and I am just now getting the spread to start working right.
1. Do not use the read option too much, when it works it is awesome but for some reason the hand offs are pretty slow.
2. Run two or three run plays in a row using the hurry up offense and then when safeties move up before you snap it use an audible and send your receivers deep.

I have been doing this and been getting 150+ rush yards with James on about 16-18 carries and about 250+ passing yards a game.
You bring up a great point that I haven't really gone into too much. I will have to experiment with the no huddle offense a lot more.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 2

I actually no huddle a lot, but mostly because I only play 8-minute quarters and it helps get a realistic number of plays in.

I use the read option the most of any of my plays... Again, though, I'm using 2te or 2rb sets to do it UNLESS I get the defense in a nickle or dime set... when that happens, I no-huddle and start abusing them with the run.

Try Wake Forest playbook... you've got 2 shotgun sets with 2te and 3 with 2rb (in addition to all of the 3wr/1te or 4wr ones). There's a read option or zone read in every formation. There's also triple options (with backs, slot receivers or motion receivers) and a couple of load options (with a back or with a motion receiver). And I use the jet sweeps, too. The extra blockers help. And if you come out in a 4wr on a third down, they come out in a dime, and you get the first down, go no huddle and take it to 'em. But the ace 2te shotgun formations have become my absolute favorite to use. I also really dig the Wing TE (3wr, TE at wing) a lot, too.
Old 12-03-2010, 05:47 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 0

I know this is an old thread, but I'm bored, so ...

I have had great success with the spread option using Michigan and the Michigan playbook, both against the CPU with default sliders and in a Big Ten online dynasty (8-5 in Year 1, 12-1 in Year 2, 8-0 in Year 3). So here's my spread option guide for the Michigan playbook.

1. POWER FORMATION RUNS
The CPU is almost always going to come out in the 4-3 or 3-4 on 1st and second downs. I you want to run the ball, you have to come out with the appropriate personnel. Never go 4WR or 3WR if you want to run on early downs. These are great 1st/2nd down spread option run plays:

Shotgun split/Read option: If defense is set up to stop a QB run (look at the weakside OLB), formation audible to off tackle run.
Wolverine split/Read option: If the defense is set up to stop a QB run, formation audible to off tackle run.
Shotgun split twins/Load option: It's often a TD if your opponent is in man. Don't get greedy -- be careful if you're going to pitch it.
Shotgun split twins/triple option: Formation sub to have 2 HBs. Often leads to long TD runs. Don't get greedy.
Shotgun split/triple option: Formation sub to have 2 HBs. Not quite as effective as split twins. Don't get greedy.

Note: Running the read option against the 3-4 is tricky. The DE or OLB will crash no matter what, and the read depends on the speed of his crash. You have to go into practice mode and learn to determine whether he's crashing the HB run (sprinting) or the QB (jogging). The 3-4 will almost always crush a QB keeper, but it will get torn apart when you give it to the HB.

2. POWER FORMATION PASSES

Texas is a great passing play out of shotgun split, as is the TE post (can't remember the exact play name) that is the deep pass formation audible out of shotgun split slot or shotgun split. I also like Wolverine Split/slants.

There are some decent PA passes in Shotgun split and shotgun split twins, but A) make sure your QB will be heading in the right direction afte the fake (righties go right, lefties go left). Also audible out of the play if there's even a hint of a blitz because you'll get sacked every time.

3. FOUR-WIDE RUNNING

The CPU will start to match personnel on 2nd-and-long and on 3rd down. I almost always run out of trips or trips open because it gives away whether your opponent is in man or zone. I prefer running out of trips open, because there's more space if the QB keeps.

Only audible into running plays. I never call a run at the playcall screen. That doesn't mean I don't intend to run, but calling a 4WR pass is a good way to trick the CPU's psychic defense. Your audible runs:

Trips open/read option
Trips open or trips/formation audible to HB run.

That's it. Those two concepts will gash your opponent if they only have five in the box. More than five in the box = pass. If the CPU is in zone, motion one of your wideouts behind the line of scrimmage and snap it when he's in the gap the HB is supposed to hit. It'll clear some space and provide blocking on the second level.

FOUR-WIDE PASSING

Trips/smash: You're looking for the flag route. It will be open often, and it'll be a touchdown often, but don't force it. Pump fake to the short hook if the protection allows. Set as an audible.
Trips open/smash: See above.
Trips/curls: The slot receiver runs a post and will break open 90 percent of the time. Great on 3rd-and-long.
Trips/middle screen: A great tunnel screen, with lower risk and higher reward than a normal WR screen or an HB screen. Set as an audible.
Four verts and stick are also staples of the offense, and are available at any time as a formation audible out of trips or trips open. Never call these plays, only audible to them.

I'll also sprinkle in crossing routes out of spread flex to mix formations up, and because they're great man beaters.

RED ZONE
From 15-20 yards out, my scoring play is Y Trips/Stick-n-nod. Pump fake to the TE stick, and then lob it over top of the linebacker when the TE breaks back up field. Those trips/trips open smash routes are also great for early red zone TDs.

GOAL LINE
The tendency seems to be for defenses to go heavy, whether it's CPU or human. Go the opposite way. Spread it out. My two favorites:

Spread 5W/stick: The weakside WRs will run slants, the inside WR slant usually breaks open. If the CPU is in zone, the stick concept will be open on the strong side.
Spread Flex/slants: Look for open space for either of your slot receivers. At the snap make sure the CPU isn't sitting on the route to the flats, and if it is, throw a bullet for a touchdown.
Spread 5W/QB Blast: Available as a formation audible. Look for a gap and run it in if there are only five in the box.

FINAL THOUGHTS
1. Unless you have a huge talent advantage, this offense isn't about running the plays you want to run. It's about running the plays your opponent is allowing you to run. I know you want to run wild with Denard Robinson or Cam Newton, but don't force the QB run if it's not there.Learn your formation audibles, get comfortable with your customized audibles, and play rock/paper/scissors. Whatever the defense does will be wrong.

2. Take it easy on the analog stick and the turbo button when you're behind the line of scrimmage. I only tilt it about half way when I'm handing off on a read option, because it allows for quicker cuts.

3. Run the no huddle, but don't be in a hurry. Give the defense time to show blitzes, shifts, etc. Take your time, assess the defense, and change the play if necessary. I probably audible 50 percent of the time.

4. Make your opponent pay for failing to match personnel -- or for matching personnel. Human opponents will match 4WR with Dime on first down, and you can run the ball at will. The CPU will play 4-3 against a 4WR set, and you can exploit it with you passing game.

5. Practice, practice, practice.

Last edited by ethanconley; 12-03-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:31 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkysmooth
I don't know how anyone on this game can run the spread option with run blocking less than 80.
I average about 150-250 yds rushing/gm between 2 backs and my qb with SECElite's sliders with run blocking at 35 and CPU run D at 70 it can be done.
Old 12-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #29
Rookie

OVR: 1

I'm in Season 2 of a wake forrest dynasty Using Oregon's playbook.. I play on Heisman .. Sliders tweaked only 45s to 55s here and there.. nothing drastic except i put the cpu kicking game up more and mine down.. with that being said my bread and butter offensive plays are spread flex dive, and the other two plays where the Te is lined up as a fb in the backfield and i run a toss or dive.. i avg between 150-175 yds a game rushing but i am a pass first team.. (remember wake forrest is not very good ) B's across the board.. One thing i would suggest though is having a fast rb when running the spread because you cannot use turbo in the hole you must wait until you clear the first level otherwise they'll cave in on you. Wake Forrest's Josh Harris is perfect (97 speed 95 acc) at this point for that. Also i hot route on 3rd downs to the run a lot because the comp will assume i'm passing in 3rd and over 5 to go.

hometown: PITTSBURGH

RESIDE IN: FLORIDA

NFL: STEELERS
NCAA: PITT
NHL: PENGUINS
NBA: LAKERS
Old 12-04-2010, 12:36 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 34

no problems running out of the shotgun...depending on personnel and matchups of course

It took a while for me to figure it out..it takes practice, and counting up your blockers.

I can run pretty much any shotgun run now, against the right front..and I play on default heisman.

some tips:

Zone Read: Read the DE, and make sure you have someone who is assigned to block the backside LB or DB.

If you dont, either flip your play, or audible out of it.

HB Counter: again, make sure you have the backside accounted for. If the backside DE or LB is uncovered..either flip the play or audible.

HB off tackle: Dont string it out too wide..again make sure you have numbers..dont be afraid to motion a WR or TE.

HB and Jet Sweep..same principles

Wildcat: Make sure the backside is blocked ( sense a pattern here? )
Old 12-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #31
Rookie

lccowboys's Arena

OVR: 3

READ MY GUIDE
NCAAB:West Virginia
MLB: Texas Rangers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2010, 01:50 PM   #32
Rookie

TheBauerHour's Arena

OVR: 9

Read the thread about "Play Recognition" attribute for players. Most of the defensive players in the game have a PRC (Play Recognition) attribute in the 70's or 80's, which means they can sniff out a play action or option 70-80 percent of the time. By changing the PRC for the players down by 20 or 30 points, the defense can be fooled more easily. This means the defense won't send the front 7 into the back field because some players will be fooled and think it's a pass. It's supposed to make the game more realistic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »