Home

Has anyone been able to get a spread option team rolling

This is a discussion on Has anyone been able to get a spread option team rolling within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-03-2010, 12:42 AM   #1
Rookie

silkysmooth's Arena

OVR: 2
Has anyone been able to get a spread option team rolling

It seems like I'll go into practice and be able to have success, but when I get in the game the CPU is instantly perfect in it's pursuit and tackling. I think it's a little unrealistic to average 2.5 YPC with a team like Oregon playing an FCS team because the defense has just amazing pursuit and amazing awareness to know where the ball is on read plays.

Any tips for running the spread option? Good playbooks that have a nice mix of zone read/option plays with a little singleback or even I formation? Any tips on a team to use? I've been thinking about using either Oregon or Auburn because even though they are really good, I struggle running so much that it makes game challenging enough where losing is a possibility in pretty much every game.

Any help is appreciated
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2010, 01:12 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 6
Re: Has anyone been able to get a spread option team rolling

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkysmooth
It seems like I'll go into practice and be able to have success, but when I get in the game the CPU is instantly perfect in it's pursuit and tackling. I think it's a little unrealistic to average 2.5 YPC with a team like Oregon playing an FCS team because the defense has just amazing pursuit and amazing awareness to know where the ball is on read plays.

Any tips for running the spread option? Good playbooks that have a nice mix of zone read/option plays with a little singleback or even I formation? Any tips on a team to use? I've been thinking about using either Oregon or Auburn because even though they are really good, I struggle running so much that it makes game challenging enough where losing is a possibility in pretty much every game.

Any help is appreciated
Playmakers sliders + miss st playbook= success for me
Old 10-03-2010, 01:50 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsman
Playmakers sliders + miss st playbook= success for me
miss state playbook = good for me
Old 10-03-2010, 02:39 AM   #4
Rookie

silkysmooth's Arena

I don't know how anyone on this game can run the spread option with run blocking less than 80. I make the correct reads. I mix up plays, formations, packages. Yet still play action is auto sack and zone read means the DE auto crashes and the OLB behind him nano blitzes to my QB and it's either a fumble or negative play 85% of the time. And if it's not that it's a CB nano blitz to kill my HB before he gets to the line. It's hilarious to see my guys with like 50 yards on 9 carries and think it's a good game but when my long is like a 52 yard run on a broken play its pathetic. The blocking is truly terrible and the play development is so slow that it caters to the defense to call an option play because defenders don't even have to tackle you to slow you down. They can just stand where they are and one of them will make the play. Doesn't matter if you are killing them with the pass, but heaven ****ing forbid you run on the vaunted CPU defense.

This was Michigan vs ECU using Oregon's playbook.

On actual run plays, I had about 45 carries for 130 yards.

On broken plays I made with Denard and later Gardner (as of course Denard gets hurt in the 2nd quarter) I had like 4 carries for maybe 100 yards.

Truly pathetic.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:30 AM   #5
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Use the Halfback Dives. They're in Oregon's playbook, Miss St.'s, and the like. Dont use the zone read. The handoff is too slow. The QB acceleration is too slow. By the time you hit the hole the defenders are off their blocks. Use the option pass. The defense will not all flock to the run and will stay with their receivers like real life. Load options are really good because you have an extra blocker. Also, dont pitch the ball unless your back is very open, defensive linemen are way too good at making athletic dance-style interceptions on pitches.

But the halfback dives are the main thing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
Rookie

use playmaker's sliders/settings. I have great success running the spread option versus every team that has less than a B+ defense. Versus those, I have pretty big issues. Because of that, I like using the Wake Forest playbook. It has lots of good shotgun formations (lot of 2TE or 2RB ones, too, which makes for more blockers) as well as the normal wishbone, 5 I-forms, and an Ace (big). If you're having issues with the zone read versus a good team, switch it up for a drive and change things up. I've done that and gone back to the spread the next drive and had more success...

And yeah, I use zone read or triple option with a receiver most of the time. My qb is my leading rusher by far.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
Rookie

dxb173's Arena

OVR: 0

i use oregon and oregon's playbook on all american with default sliders. i am in the 3rd year of dynsasty and lead the nation in rushing both years. both barner and james have had 1000 yd seasons each year. i run the zone read many times a game but out of different formations. its best to use formation where the tight end is on the strong side and run to that side. also u have to set it up with passes from that formation or regular run plays. also use the counter out of that formation as well. the best way is just to run multiple run plays and not just zone read after zone read. also u really do have to practice reading the de but once u get used to it its a great play. again i play on all american not heisman in dynsasty. i have tried miss state playbook as well but for me the oregon playbook just works better. also throw in a draw now and then on first down then run a read out of the same formation on second. the computer is psychic so u got to do what u can to "trick" them lol. i probably made no sense in this post but i hope it helped dude. GO DUCKS!
Old 10-03-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 1

you need a tight end or receiver to always block backside, the cpu almost always blitzes, i have goot luck using michigan's playbook because of the backside tight ends

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »