Home

How do you catch a pass in stride?

This is a discussion on How do you catch a pass in stride? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
Rookie

sleepyeagle's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: How do you catch a pass in stride?

I have a 93 rated QB with his awareness, throw accuracy, and throw power all in the 90s and even with him, I'm hesitant to try a lob pass. It just seems like the lob is too exaggerated to be effective.

Instead, I'll wait until I have one-on-one coverage with a single safety or no safety over the top and send my receiver with 96 spd on a streak route . Once I see him get a step on the defender I throw a bullet, but pass lead down-field so by the time me receiver gets there, he already has some distance from the defender.

It is difficult to pull off sometimes, but that's the way it should be. My back-up QB and any of my other receivers would never be able to pull it off.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 19

I put QB Acc at 100 per Versuz2. Some argue that this slider decides how accurate your QB will be, but the on-field play during my "Dynasty" says different to me.

I have a in-game generated Fr QB with 79 THP/67 ACC. With the slider set at 100, I'm able to attempt the pass (high/low, front/back, over/under) that the situation calls for, but because of his QB ACC, the ball only goes in a general area (4-8 yrds) of my target. The rest depends on coverage and my WR's attributes.

Again, some will argue against this, but it is the best for me compared to many of the other slider suggestions I've tried.

With all things, try for yourself and go from there. It's only wrong/unrealistic if you don't like the gameplay.
Old 10-14-2010, 01:49 AM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 1

for real...i was just like you. I was a qb in high school and college, so I know the reads and throws.
I learned that this game is unlike any other in past years. "zero" step drops, 3 step drops, and 5 step drops are key to knowing. PA especially.
The ****ty thing is that unless you know this as a player, your dropping back the wrong amount of steps, when the programmers have programmed a certain sequence to occur. IF you make the right steps, the passing game opens up like a virgin on prom night(meaning, you gotta get it just right and youre good). Fly (9) routes work in this game. As do flags. You take your proper drop, make proper read, sling it, it's going for at least a first down. Plus, you gotta set up your passing game this year. Run the percentages on teams that line up in 5 wide on the first play of the game and run PA verticals...No, you start the game with the simple 2 route reads. CBs play off and you set you passing attack based off of that. I make it a point to run slants for my first passing play, unless I get a good KOR or have a huge first couple runs (then it's PA all day out of a running formation).
The second thing that I wanted to note is, check out swhyte21's "combo" sliders on AA. Although you may think they are easy, they are very close to real life stats when all is said and done. Running attacks on both sides play well. Passing is based off what you can do. Tonight, I played the following game to start another one of my 12 team dynasties:
#5 Boise State @ #7 Virginia Tech (me)
26 - 42
Rush - 22-134 vs. 48-386
Pass - 22-39 336 yards, 2 TDs, 2 Ints vs. 10-19 81 yards, 1 TD, 3 Ints
TOs - 2 fumbles, 2 Ints(4 total) vs. 3 Ints (3 total)
Tack - 13 by SS vs. 15 SS (strong safety seems to hover around ball; lb's had plenty of tackles though)
The game played with some intensity. Score was 14-6 at half, VT. Second half, VT got ball, marched down the field on 9 plays (78 yards; all runs). First play after BS gets ball, MLB pick 6. The CPU was down and still mixed in runs to get a 100 yard rusher. VT had 3 of them(Taylor, Williams, Wilson).
The point...try the sliders. They may feel "loose", but the games will be tight. Out of the new 12 I started with these, I went 9-3 on opening week. Try the PA plays, that have your WR streak. As soon as the PA is complete(or cancel it at line) throw. Shall I say, LOB it, but with some touch by the left thumb stick. Your WR should create a little separation from the PA and be able to get the pass in stride. Your QB should do the "heaving" motion, as if he's throwing a super bomb, but it'll only be about a 30-40 yard throw.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2010, 02:49 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

After further testing it seems that every time I user catch and hit the "Y" button my player always does the jumping animation to catch it.

If I let the cpu catch it they will do an over the shoulder catch. The only issue is that I don't trust the cpu to catch for me.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:18 PM   #13
Banned

OVR: 2

Gotta use the left stick and lead your reciever so he'll catch it in stride.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #14
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaTechPimp
After further testing it seems that every time I user catch and hit the "Y" button my player always does the jumping animation to catch it.

If I let the cpu catch it they will do an over the shoulder catch. The only issue is that I don't trust the cpu to catch for me.
You need to hold Y, not tap it. Tapping triggers the jumping catch. Holding Y creates a posession catch.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »