Home

Recruiting FB/TE's

This is a discussion on Recruiting FB/TE's within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #9
MVP

OVR: 15
Re: Recruiting FB/TE's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Jackal
I have this problem with FB's. There just are very very few FB's interested in my schools let alone a 4-5 star. I've found TE's aren't that different than other positions though. I usually just over recruit TE's when I need to fill a FB. TE's (In the game) transition better to FB than HB's do (even power backs).
TEs have better OVR as a FB, but try a power HB at FB and he'll be the best running/catching FB you've ever had on your team.

The game puts a big emphasis on blocking abilities for FBs OVR rating. TEs generally have the blocking ability, especially given the fact that all the randomly generated TE recruits are blocking and none are balanced or receiving. Granted, it's certainly important to have a FB that can block. I mean, that's 80% of the reason I like the I-Formations so much.

But if you really just want a blocking fullback, an even better option than a TE is take your smallest offensive lineman and put him in as a fullback. Then use formation subs to put a different player in for the shotgun formations and such. But if you just want a blocker, use an offensive linemen (I formation sub O-linemen into the FB spot in a couple of I-Forms that I use and never hand off to the FB).

But if you're like me and like to spread the ball around, you want a FB who can run the ball and a FB who can catch it out of the backfield. A powerback can get the tough yards up the gut in those situations you're most likely to hand it off to the FB. But more importantly, a powerback is going to generally be a little faster and a little more likely to break tackles than a TE, so he can turn a 3rd and 2 hand off up the middle to a 15 yard run or better. Moreover, he's going to have the ability to make catches out of the backfield in any shotgun formations or the pro-split formation (which I love).

As for his blocking abilities? Well, first off, he still has some blocking abilities. And secondly, by changing his position to FB in the offseason, he trains to improve his blocking. But the thing is...fullbacks aren't generally blocking D-Linemen. Maybe in passing scenarios, but realistically, a fullback blocks a D-Lineman much the same way a HB does: dive at his legs and hope to take him out to give my QB a few extra seconds.

Most of the time, particularly in the run game, your FB is blocking guys on the second level. The linebackers. His job is to free your HB to the third level where one broken tackle can mean a touchdown. A power running back generally has the strength, size, and running blocking stats to do a decent enough job making this block. And of course, if you change him to a FB as a freshman, red shirt him... by his 5th season as a red shirt senior, he'll certainly have these abilities.

I guess it really just depends on what kind of fullback you want, but I'm generally more likely to change a powerback to a FB than a TE. Perhaps that's also because I use TEs frequently...

I'll say this though... in my dynasty, I drafted a powerback who is 6'4". Way too big...I think I'm going to change him over to a TE, so we'll see how that goes...
Old 10-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #10
OS Supporter

BOSKY!'s Arena

OVR: 7

I always recruit blocking TE's for FB's when I can. Sometimes there just aren't enough FB's to recruit and I usually can get a 4-5 start blocking TE at Miami and than convert to a FB!

I run the Pistol so I really don't need a FB as I only have one or two plays that I use one in and he just needs to get in the way of somebody at that point.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:41 PM   #11
Rookie

Bigman815's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomersooner31
Every season in my SMU dynasty I have 4-5 TEs interested in my school..odd considering SMU technically doesn't have a TE...or a FB for the matter. But I guess since the game requires those spots I have to have them.
That happened to me with Hawaii.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'm a fan of moving TEs to FB. I run a spread mostly, so he's there to block or catch, and they're the best at that. If I want a half back at full back for a play, I'll use a package and swap him in (on goal line, for instance)... but most of the time I leave my converted full back in there. He deserves to score a touchdown every once in a while, after all!!
Old 10-16-2010, 02:30 AM   #13
Pro

nwfdwill's Arena

OVR: 10

Yeah, I'm trying to recruit some TE's to play FB, but my problem is that I'm Tulane, and it's hard for me to recruit anybody lol. I'm in year two and have so far been undefeated, but I'm still having recruiting issues. I can't get better than a 3* recruit at the mo' with the exception of one 4* WR this year. I'm currently playing the Conf. Champ. of Year 2. Thanks for the suggestions, guys.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:36 AM   #14
Pro

nwfdwill's Arena

OVR: 10

Correction...I'm in year three. In year 2, I managed to recruit a 4* QB.
Old 10-16-2010, 02:54 AM   #15
MVP

OVR: 15

If you've recruited two 4-star recruits to Tulane in the first three years of a dynasty, you may not have your recruiting difficulty set high enough.

Tulane starts as a 1-star program, do they not? It should take a few seasons before you start getting any 4-stars unless you're going after nothing but 4-star recruits.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »