Home

redshirt help

This is a discussion on redshirt help within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-21-2010, 12:55 PM   #9
Rookie

kmaxhokie's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: redshirt help

Quote:
Originally Posted by econoodle
buck/kmax, yep thats what i am seeing.

ok let me head back into my menu and straighten this out.
thanks a ton fellas

edit: if anyone is also using the Wyoming Cowboys and the real life rosters, who did u redshirt year one?

also would it be smart to just redshirt all freshman with lower overalls at a position of depth/strength?
I have never played with Wyoming but what I usually do is redshirt freshman who are low on the depth chart or sophomores/freshman who may be good but there are 2 players or more better than them at a position. It allows your team to be good in coming years.

(A good way to look at this is David Wilson at Virginia Tech, he is a sophomore probably around 80 on your roster but he has Ryan Williams and Darren Evans (both 90s) ahead of him on the depth chart. Redshirting Wilson gives you him for more years while the other running backs leave)

BOATSNHOOOOOES
#14 Virginia Tech (10-3)
Year 1 - Champs Sports Bowl Champs
#10 Virginia Tech (11-2) Year 2 - Chick-fil-A Bowl Champs
Old 10-21-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
buck/kmax, yep thats what i am seeing.

ok let me head back into my menu and straighten this out.
thanks a ton fellas

edit: if anyone is also using the Wyoming Cowboys and the real life rosters, who did u redshirt year one?

also would it be smart to just redshirt all freshman with lower overalls at a position of depth/strength?
By the time your a few years into your dynasty, your goal should be to only be redshirting freshmen. If you're managing your team and your recruiting properly, this shouldn't be too hard.

However, just because a player is a freshmen, doesn't necessarily mean he needs to be redshirted.

Ultimately, redshirting is about depth and future depth. Keep in mind that at any point in the season, you can remove a player's redshirt and put him back on the depth chart, so you don't need to plan too far ahead as far as injuries go. You just need to pay attention when there is a serious injury that you fix the depth chart to get the redshirt player back in the mix.

So, is it smart to redshirt all freshmen with low OVRs? Generally speaking, yeah, sure. When I first start with a team, I tend to redshirt anyone who isn't making the 2-deep depth chart. I'm a run-heavy team though, so at RB, I keep 4 active. In any given game, I'll have 3 RBs with at least five carries, so the 4th guy really is only 2-deep I guess. I then always have a 5th guy redshirting (and sometimes as many as 6 RBs on the roster).

You do have to be careful with redshirting. Upperclassmen who should be seeing the field tend to transfer for lack of playing time. Underclassmen can transfer too, whether they highly rated early playing time in recruiting, but especially if you promised them something involving playing time (freshmen AA, solid playing time).

But as I said, it's about future depth as much as anything.

For example, if I have a redshirt senior QB rated 90 ovr, a sophomore QB rated 83, and a redshirt sophomore QB rated 82, then I will redshirt the sophomore rated 83 as he is eligible and will be hear a year longer than the one who has already redshirted, and it's not much of a drop-off to the third guy, even though the guy I'm redshirting is on the two-deep.

HOWEVER, if I have, for example, a redshirt senior QB rated 90, a junior QB rated 83, and a redshirt sophomore rated 82? I tend to not redshirt the junior simply because I don't want two of my three quarterbacks graduating in the same year. At any given position, I try to stagger my players leaving, so I can recruit more efficiently. It's easiest to go after one player per position, I find.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:20 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaxhokie
I have never played with Wyoming but what I usually do is redshirt freshman who are low on the depth chart or sophomores/freshman who may be good but there are 2 players or more better than them at a position. It allows your team to be good in coming years.

(A good way to look at this is David Wilson at Virginia Tech, he is a sophomore probably around 80 on your roster but he has Ryan Williams and Darren Evans (both 90s) ahead of him on the depth chart. Redshirting Wilson gives you him for more years while the other running backs leave)

kmax, thanks.
my thoughts exactly.
its overwhelming at first but thanks to you guys on OS it makes transitioning from the pro game to college a lot easier.
LOT to digest in this mode
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
kmax, thanks.
my thoughts exactly.
its overwhelming at first but thanks to you guys on OS it makes transitioning from the pro game to college a lot easier.
LOT to digest in this mode
yeah it just takes experience. After a season or two, you'll figure out who you want to redshirt and who you dont need to. Plus there isnt any set standard to who you should and who you shouldnt redshirt.

At least once each season, I've had redshirted a true senior. In almost every case, the senior is highly rated but is a backup and the third string player isnt that far behind. That way I dont lose that player and get one more year of eligiblity out of him and if my starter ever gets injured, I can always break the redshirt.

A good system to follow, might be to redshirt more because you can always break that redshirt during the season if you need to.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
By the time your a few years into your dynasty, your goal should be to only be redshirting freshmen. If you're managing your team and your recruiting properly, this shouldn't be too hard.

However, just because a player is a freshmen, doesn't necessarily mean he needs to be redshirted.

Ultimately, redshirting is about depth and future depth. Keep in mind that at any point in the season, you can remove a player's redshirt and put him back on the depth chart, so you don't need to plan too far ahead as far as injuries go. You just need to pay attention when there is a serious injury that you fix the depth chart to get the redshirt player back in the mix.

So, is it smart to redshirt all freshmen with low OVRs? Generally speaking, yeah, sure. When I first start with a team, I tend to redshirt anyone who isn't making the 2-deep depth chart. I'm a run-heavy team though, so at RB, I keep 4 active. In any given game, I'll have 3 RBs with at least five carries, so the 4th guy really is only 2-deep I guess. I then always have a 5th guy redshirting (and sometimes as many as 6 RBs on the roster).

You do have to be careful with redshirting. Upperclassmen who should be seeing the field tend to transfer for lack of playing time. Underclassmen can transfer too, whether they highly rated early playing time in recruiting, but especially if you promised them something involving playing time (freshmen AA, solid playing time).

But as I said, it's about future depth as much as anything.

For example, if I have a redshirt senior QB rated 90 ovr, a sophomore QB rated 83, and a redshirt sophomore QB rated 82, then I will redshirt the sophomore rated 83 as he is eligible and will be hear a year longer than the one who has already redshirted, and it's not much of a drop-off to the third guy, even though the guy I'm redshirting is on the two-deep.

HOWEVER, if I have, for example, a redshirt senior QB rated 90, a junior QB rated 83, and a redshirt sophomore rated 82? I tend to not redshirt the junior simply because I don't want two of my three quarterbacks graduating in the same year. At any given position, I try to stagger my players leaving, so I can recruit more efficiently. It's easiest to go after one player per position, I find.
pogo, great stuff as well.
very concise and clear.
you guys have all been a huge help in teaching me redshirt 101
Old 10-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 2

SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC: One thing I wish they would add in for 2012 is a better way to see who all is redshirted for a current season.

For instance, currently you can go in sort your roster by class (so you can see at a glance who your senior / junior class etc..., but without going through one by one you can't see who's on redshirt now. It'd be nice if they gave a simple option to see who's redshirted currently as a group.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:59 PM   #15
MVP

interesting turn of events.
i lost my starting halfback for the year in my opener.
can i redshirt him?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-21-2010, 04:34 PM   #16
Rookie

Bucknut17's Arena

OVR: 5

That's my biggest or at least 1 of my biggest requests for next year is a medical redshirt..... but no once a player gets stats he cannot be redshirted

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »