Home

Overall Rating

This is a discussion on Overall Rating within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Overall Rating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anarchy666
perhaps they should just get rid of OVR rating altogether and replace with an importance rating, based on the players stats according to the offensive/defensive system he plays in.

I agree. There are many times that I play a player that is lower OVR than another guy because he is better. (example. I have a HB rated 84, but his speed is 82, ACC 85, his BTK, JK, SPN, are upper 80s; but i start a HB rated 72 OVR, because his SPD 95, ACC 98, and his BTK, JK, SPN are low 70s.) The OVR is useless because it all depends on the system.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
MVP

jbrew2411's Arena

OVR: 13

I have given this much thought as well. The way it is now to have lower overalls means to have lower ratings across the board. This makes for bad players and poor game play. To have higher ratings makes for too many players that are elite. The value placed on the overall is killing the game. Anyone that has played a basketball game knows that you can have lower rated players that can be good players. The last game I played of NCAA 11 was with SMU on default AA sliders and the game was zero fun. I played Hawaii and my low rated players were just bad. I'm not saying a 61ovr player should be a stub but they should be able to function. I had been siming seasons just recruiting but decided to play a game to see how my team was playing. I had a 61ovr OLB that had good speed (78) so I decided to control him. The guy could not tackle and would fall over when blocked. There is no way a guy like this would end up playing FBS football much less high school football. Then after playing Choops2k8 I saw how a player rated as a 61ovr could still function. So I come up with this idea.
Make the overall rating a separate and free rating from all other ratings. The overall ratings should be used to predict a players pro potential only. It should not be a average of all ratings like it is now. An example would be a WR who has a 72ovr (undrafted) but has a catch rating of 75, spd of 88, 87acc. The guy could be a good college wideout and function in the game but not be overrated. Then the NCAA team could also give players ratings that match their build. I have seen the 6'2" 200lbs LB's with 67spd. Lets face it that guy would never play FBS football. Then my favorite was the 5'11" 185lbs WR with 77spd & 71acc. There is no way that guy is playing FBS football much less go to UCLA. EA had to rate them lower due to the fact the overalls balloon if they raise ratings. It's time to change the system that they have used since the PS1 days.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
Recruiting App

PocketScout's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerfan1509
I agree. There are many times that I play a player that is lower OVR than another guy because he is better. (example. I have a HB rated 84, but his speed is 82, ACC 85, his BTK, JK, SPN, are upper 80s; but i start a HB rated 72 OVR, because his SPD 95, ACC 98, and his BTK, JK, SPN are low 70s.) The OVR is useless because it all depends on the system.
Your example is why OVR exists. The running back you use is not better in all the attributes that comprise a running back. He is lacking, but that doesn't mean he can not be successful. Mobility (SPD,AGL,ACC) goes as long ways in this game for the feel of a player. OVR is exactly that, a score for how good a player is overall, not mobility or how fast, or how well he can break a tackle, or ...... you get the point. Basically you have an incomplete track star at running back, but that doesn't mean his mobility can not overcome his short comings.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #12
Recruiting App

PocketScout's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrew2411
Make the overall rating a separate and free rating from all other ratings. The overall ratings should be used to predict a players pro potential only. It should not be a average of all ratings like it is now.
over·all (ō′vər ôl′; for adv. ō′vər ôl′)
adjective
including everything; total

By definition overall can not be "separate and free rating from all other ratings". Overall is a summary of the players skills. The argument should be how this rating is used in the simulation model, but OVR is helpful for new players. I will start a player with a better feel than OVR from time to time as well, but it does have a place.

Edit:
What I think is being missed here is the idea of interaction and modeling of what constitutes a football player and a game. Each attribute servers a purpose to model human behavior in the context of the sport football.

The interactions and skills possessed by players has to be quantified in some way or a simulation model does not exists. When looking at all the possible ways a player could be successful on a given play his attributes must be evaluated. The individual attributes are weighted and an overall is developed as a measure of how good the player is in all valid attributes. Just because one player is better all around than another doesn't mean he will be more preductive it just means they are better all around. Specialiest exist in football and some of the lower ovr players are this. I have a rb that is 63 I've but 90 spd, 91 acc, 84 agl. He is great on option plays but sucks up the middle. So I use him in accordingly bc he provides a better threat than my every down back.

Last edited by PocketScout; 10-22-2010 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:28 PM   #13
Rookie

The OVR is useless. I dont want to know which player is the best "all-around". I want to know which players are the best for my system. The OVR serves me no purpose. The attributes at the skills that help my system the best at each position is what we need to know.

Too many people get caught up in the OVR number.

Another example is OL. If i am a running team. I want OL that are good a RBK and such. I wont care much about their PBK. So if you have two players one with OVR 95, PBK 99, RBK 80 (assuming other relevant attributes are equal). or you have a guy OVR 85 with PBK 72 and RBK 88. You would not be smart to take the higher OVR.

Now obviously if you were wanting to "build a team around a guy". Then maybe you pick a high OVR guy and build around him. But if i have solid RBs, a running QB, and legit OL minus 1. Then why would I ever want to pick the 95 OVR?

They need to keep the skill attributes, but get rid of OVR. It is irrelevant, people put WAY to much stock in it.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:48 PM   #14
Recruiting App

PocketScout's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerfan1509
The OVR is useless. I dont want to know which player is the best "all-around". I want to know which players are the best for my system. The OVR serves me no purpose. The attributes at the skills that help my system the best at each position is what we need to know.

Too many people get caught up in the OVR number.

Another example is OL. If i am a running team. I want OL that are good a RBK and such. I wont care much about their PBK. So if you have two players one with OVR 95, PBK 99, RBK 80 (assuming other relevant attributes are equal). or you have a guy OVR 85 with PBK 72 and RBK 88. You would not be smart to take the higher OVR.

Now obviously if you were wanting to "build a team around a guy". Then maybe you pick a high OVR guy and build around him. But if i have solid RBs, a running QB, and legit OL minus 1. Then why would I ever want to pick the 95 OVR?

They need to keep the skill attributes, but get rid of OVR. It is irrelevant, people put WAY to much stock in it.
This shows you are an advanced player. You pick guys for your system and thats a smart way to do it. Yes people put to much stock in it, but it is not irrelevant. It severs to show you how well rounded he is at the given position. Remember this game is made to anyone can pick it up and play. The game can be played with a single button now. Not everyone will take the time to understand the depth of each attribute and OVR is just a dumbed down attributes summary for people who do not go any deeper than that.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:10 PM   #15
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketScout
This shows you are an advanced player. You pick guys for your system and thats a smart way to do it. Yes people put to much stock in it, but it is not irrelevant. It severs to show you how well rounded he is at the given position. Remember this game is made to anyone can pick it up and play. The game can be played with a single button now. Not everyone will take the time to understand the depth of each attribute and OVR is just a dumbed down attributes summary for people who do not go any deeper than that.

Very true. I tend to forget the "game for everybody" factor.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-22-2010, 04:01 PM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 5

Why does it matter? I mean, if a player has a 95 overall versus a 94 overall, it doesn't necessarily mean that the 95 is better. The ratings are just an estimation to show you, hey, this guy is probably better than the other guy. For instance, if a running back has all 99's except for awareness, which is down at 40, he won't have a 99 overall, whereas a player with all 90's will have a better overall. In reality, the guy with all 99's is better because he's the fastest guy in the world, breaks every tackle, and scores on every play, but he isn't rated as high.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »