Home

Are the flaws to big to overcome in one year?

This is a discussion on Are the flaws to big to overcome in one year? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Are the flaws to big to overcome in one year?

It took EA 6 years to overcome half of their gameplay flaws and the other half still remain in their game. NCAA 11 is an improvement over past games no doubt, but it isn't what it should be.

NCAA 11 is what I would have expected NCAA 08 to be. Locomotion is okay, but really only affects Human controlled players. I have seen my blockers turn on a dime, the CPU DBs turn on a dime, etc. If the player is not being controlled by me manually, then they usually can turn on a dime and ignore the "momentum" in the game.

There is also too many times where a defender or receiver can turn around on a dime and know the ball is about to be there. EA said they were implementing head tracking a year ago that would make players have to spot the ball to be able to make a play on it, but that was a lie. Players don't have to do anything to make a play on the ball, they know where its at all the time.

If EA had really implemented what they said they were going to, then we probably would not see the jumping linebackers every other play, we wouldn't see every safety looking like Troy Polomalu, corners would make turn around interceptions when they never saw the ball to begin with, etc.

EA has fixed a good amount of gameplay problems, but there is a lot still left to be fixed. Can EA fix all of them this coming year like they fixed a good amount of them this year? Will we finally have a game where players have to spot the ball? Will we have a game where everyone has to follow Newton's laws even if he isn't user controlled? Will we see respectable pass coverage and run coverage?

Then, in the dynasty part of the game there are infinite problems. Teams having 10 QBs in year 8, teams having to play defensive lineman at at Tight End, WRs at CB, SS at LB, etc. There are many problems with dynasty mode along with the lack of features.

So do you think EA can have another big year and surprise us with another improved game? We all saw what happened with Madden. 09 was terrible, 10 was good, then 11 fell flat again. Will NCAA follow Madden and be average next year, or will we be surprised again with the amount of improvements?

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 5
Re: Are the flaws to big to overcome in one year?

For one thing, if EA fixes everything in one year, there will be nothing new to add for the next season.

Besides, we all know that you can't make a video game perfect. That's why I don't complain about gameplay; there will never be the "perfect" game, and somebody will always be complaining.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:55 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

I am not asking for perfect gameplay. I want to know if they can avoid what happened to Madden and improve the game next year like they did this year.

― Plato
Old 10-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
Fan of real schools

Hellisan's Arena

OVR: 19

hey Canes!

I really enjoyed this year's game although I know there are plenty of flaws to point out.

I have high hopes for the next one.... I really do. I'm positive that there will be plenty of flaws with that one too, though. So you kinda have to keep remembering that this is indeed a videogame. Look to feces like "Backbreaker" to see what happens when you focus too much on just one element of the game.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
Banned

OVR: 14

IMO if they would redo all the playbooks both offense and defense this would solve 90% of the game problems.

The focus should be on playbook overhaul since that controls most of the AI action.

With that as the focus they could begin to add in the necessary adjustments to zone coverages, speed, recognition difference of good and bad players etc.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

I am confident that they can have another solid year unlike Madden, but I am still worried. A lot of my biggest gripes have been in EA Sports titles ever since Madden 06/ NCAA 07. So I don't know if they can fix them, or if they will ever(be able to) fix them.

If NCAA 12 makes as big a jump as NCAA 11 did from NCAA 10, then you probably won't see me on here complaining as much.

But when defense is consistently bad year to year and the locomotion is ignored by the AI repeatedly, then I am going to complain. I think most the problem with the gameplay can be fixed with the two areas in the previous sentences. If they get those to play out like they want and we want, then they can focus on features after that.

― Plato
Old 10-23-2010, 10:20 PM   #7
Midtable shrug

NoDakHusker's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewie12
IMO if they would redo all the playbooks both offense and defense this would solve 90% of the game problems.

The focus should be on playbook overhaul since that controls most of the AI action.

With that as the focus they could begin to add in the necessary adjustments to zone coverages, speed, recognition difference of good and bad players etc.....
Yep, I agree, ESPECIALLY defensive playbooks. Of course, with a complete overhaul you do run the risk of also completely ruining the game, but I think it'd be worth the risk if there's a chance the game can improve.

I wish they'd stop with adding flashy new features, IMO the feature set in this game is fine. Spend time on getting the fundamentals of football down, do it right like they used to back in NCAA 2004, NCAA 2006. Those games were great football games. And then fix the aforementioned issues with dynasty.

Oh, and one thing for presentation: STAT OVERLAYS. Please, last gen NCAA games were flooded with stat overlays, it was amazing.
Old 10-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #8
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

While we're on the topic of what EA should add, three things that I'd love to see these football games (NCAA and Madden both) implement:
  • full-fledged custom playbooks, with say 300+ user-designed plays in them, for both sides of the ball. If online balance is a concern, ban custom playbooks from ranked games and make them a flagged option for unranked games and Online Dynasty.
  • adaptive, intelligent CPU personnel control. What I mean by this is that a computer-controlled team should be able to deploy various personnel packages based on an analysis of its own roster. For example, if the AI sees it has two solid junior tailbacks on its roster, it would actively rotate them in-and-out of the game and call plays based on their skill sets (more tosses for faster backs and more isos for power backs, for example). If the AI sees that it has an all-start wide receiver on an otherwise talent-deficient roster, it should move that receiver around in various formations to try to create new ways to get that receiver the ball.
  • Allow more than 50 formation substitutions in Online Dynasty.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »