Home

Building the Ultimate Edge Pass Rusher?

This is a discussion on Building the Ultimate Edge Pass Rusher? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #1
Pro

ucas005's Arena

OVR: 7
Building the Ultimate Edge Pass Rusher?

I'm wanting to make some new edits to my roster before I start a new dynasty. More specifically I want to update the ratings of some of the leading sack guys in the real NCAA. Players like DaQuan Bowers, Justin Houstin, Brandon Jenkins, Jabaal Sheard, etc. I want to give these guys just a little more skill to help their sim sack totals. What ratings should I adjust to make these guys better edge pass rushers? Not so much better overall players, but more so better at getting after the QB both for sim stats and pass rush difficulty when I play the CPU.

Last edited by ucas005; 10-29-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: Building the Ultimate Edge Pass Rusher?

Speed, Acceleration, Finesse Move, Power move, block shedding, and awareness.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:45 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrianC
Speed, Acceleration, Finesse Move, Power move, block shedding, and awareness.
Awareness is only going to affect the player's ability to stay onside until the ball is snapped.

Block shedding is really more of a run stopper trait.

Speed, Acceleration, Finesse Move, & Power Move are certainly all important stats.

Strength, Tackle, Pursuit, & Hit Power should all be looked at.

Strength just seems to generally help the player in all assets of the game relating to strength, which does include things like power move, tackling, hit power, block shedding, etc.

Tackle. Obviously you want this stat to be decent so your DE doesn't get in the backfield only to allow the QB to break his sack tackle.

Pursuit. Most people think of this primarily as a LB or S skill I think, but it's certainly not. Pursuit seems to effect closing speed as well as the player's ability to take the proper angle. Against scrambling quarterbacks, a DE with poor pursuit skills is going to end up with fewer sacks. Not only does the DE need to be the OT, but he also needs to put himself in the proper position to be able to run the QB down once he's in the backfield.

Hit Power. I consider this to possibly be the single most important stat. Why? A defensive end isn't necessarily going to get a sack or multiple sacks in every single game. But he will almost certainly get multiple hits on the quarterback in every single game. A player with a low hit power isn't going to effect the QB much. A player with a high hit power is going to lower the QB's stamina quicker and have a much higher chance of injuring the QB. Obviously, an injured QB is a huge blow to an offense, but even a QB with lowered stamina simply won't play as well or as consistent. Hit power allows a DE to have an impact on the passing game even without recording any sacks.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:22 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 2

awareness is actually important in the respect of simming, and I assume you're wanting this for that reason by your original post (sack totals). Unfortunately, I know of no way to actually make players reach sack totals with simming.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
Awareness is only going to affect the player's ability to stay onside until the ball is snapped.

Hit Power. I consider this to possibly be the single most important stat. Why? A defensive end isn't necessarily going to get a sack or multiple sacks in every single game. But he will almost certainly get multiple hits on the quarterback in every single game. A player with a low hit power isn't going to effect the QB much. A player with a high hit power is going to lower the QB's stamina quicker and have a much higher chance of injuring the QB. Obviously, an injured QB is a huge blow to an offense, but even a QB with lowered stamina simply won't play as well or as consistent. Hit power allows a DE to have an impact on the passing game even without recording any sacks.

Hit power is their ability to deliver hard hits only...it has no effect on fatigue nor does it make any QB's lose stamina quicker.

The only thing you'll get is the added ability to force fumbles or injure the player which you stated.

This is the info relayed to me by a NCAA guy who used to post on the NCAA Strategies board when ever we discussed ratings in regards to rosters

•Hit Power (POW) - The strength of the player's hit, which can determine the success of a tackle or the possibility of a fumble.

•Awareness (AWR) - A player's ability to react and adjust. High awareness generally comes with more experience.

•Power Moves (PMV) - Look for high power moves in defensive linemen. Power Moves is the ability to power through the block.

•Finesse Moves (FMV) - Similar to power moves but it's the ability to spin or swim around blocks.
-------------------------------------

This is Ian's explanation of awareness for Madden which is very similiar to NCAA

How quickly a defender can realize the ball is in the air to try and make a play
Chance to jump offsides or false start
Whether a defender tries to scoop-n-score or falls on a fumble in the correct situations
Chance a defender will try to strip the ball on a ballcarrier with bad carrying ratings
Chance a defender will attempt to get his hands up to tip a ball while engaged

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-29-2010, 10:40 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
Hit power is their ability to deliver hard hits only...it has no effect on fatigue nor does it make any QB's lose stamina quicker.

The only thing you'll get is the added ability to force fumbles or injure the player which you stated.

This is the info relayed to me by a NCAA guy who used to post on the NCAA Strategies board when ever we discussed ratings in regards to rosters

•Hit Power (POW) - The strength of the player's hit, which can determine the success of a tackle or the possibility of a fumble.
Harder tackles effect a player's fatigue.

I had a quarterback who usually always stays green turn to yellow after taking three quick, hard sacks in a row (with hardly any scrambling).

And anyway, the ability to force fumbles, which I forgot to mention, is another reason why a pass rushing DE should have higher hit power, to force the QB to fumble when he takes an unsuspecting sack.

There are enough reasons to notch up a DE's Hit Power regardless of whether or not you believe that it can effect a QBs stamina.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:28 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Playmakers's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogo27
There are enough reasons to notch up a DE's Hit Power regardless of whether or not you believe that it can effect a QBs stamina.
LOL!

You act like I posted by saying hit power wasn't needed or nothing....

Thanks for letting me know it's IMPORTANT i didn't realize that at all

Follow some the Greatest College Football players of All Time in NCAA Football 14
Old 10-30-2010, 12:38 AM   #8
MVP

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmakers
LOL!

You act like I posted by saying hit power wasn't needed or nothing....

Thanks for letting me know it's IMPORTANT i didn't realize that at all
Lol, I don't think he understood what you said.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »