Home

What was the fix / workaround for the depth chart issue?

This is a discussion on What was the fix / workaround for the depth chart issue? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
Pro

Mangum's Arena

OVR: 6
What was the fix / workaround for the depth chart issue?

I ask because I'm in year 4 of my WKU dynasty and this actually started in the last 2 games of season 3 but I figured it was just player fatigue.

Anyway I noticed that my WRs and DBs usually will take the 3rd and 4th QTRs off. They will be subbed in with players from random positions. Its not a case to where I don't have enough
WRs, as I have enough to fill each slot.

I thought it was my auto subs setting but I had the fatigue rate set to mimic the settings from someone (forgot who) in the slider forum. I don't think its the auto subs since I haven't seen this issue in the seasons previous.

Could this just be my own depth chart being setup incorrectly? Mainly because I think I have some duplicate players listed in multiple positions along the OLine and in the Secondary.

Any help is much obliged!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: What was the fix / workaround for the depth chart issue?

1. I think your auto subs are a problem. That's why people disappear at the end of the game. There's kinda 2 types of fatigue in a game; burst fatigue where a guy will tire quickly after high use for several plays and then he'll recover quickly and prolonged fatigue where he just tires out over the course of the game. When your guy dips below the "sub out" setting in auto subs, he'll go out. When he recovers above your "sub in" setting, he'll come back in. Prolonged fatigue means that as the game goes on, he'll never get back up to 100% and less than 100% as well. If he's fatigued enough to the point that he won't recover above your "sub in" number, he'll never come back.

2. To fix the random guys subbing in, change your depth chart. Once you've exhausted your depth chart, random guys will come in. IE if you run a 2 wide set, but your top 5 WRs on your depth chart (which has 6 WR slots) are tired, then your "#1" guy will be the 6th guy on your depth chart and your "#2" guy will be a random guy (sadly it won't put in your #7 WR). To fix this, you'll need to manually edit your depth chart. IE. if you put your #6 WR in your #5 spot and your #7 WR in your $6 spot, you'll have enough non-fatigued guys on your depth chart (for a 2 wide set) and no random guys will come in. Doing this, of course, means that you'll have to edit your depth chart again later to get you better WRs back in the game (assuming that they are no longer fatigued).
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 11-09-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
Banned

OVR: 25
Location: Far far away from the vultures and snakes that reside in the united states.

The A.I. wonks out the depth charts after season 2 or 3. You have to manually set the depth charts to have the correct players where they should be.

If you want to go in depth with the CPU teams you have to create a coach, set the charts then quit the job. Keep doing that with however many teams you want to change.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:01 AM   #4

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCreep
The A.I. wonks out the depth charts after season 2 or 3. You have to manually set the depth charts to have the correct players where they should be.

If you want to go in depth with the CPU teams you have to create a coach, set the charts then quit the job. Keep doing that with however many teams you want to change.
Yeah this is a pretty good idea.

Even if it you're only doing it before each team you play. I haven't had to yet through 4 seasons. But now, after scanning the year 5 depth charts, it looks like this may be a step I'll have to take to fix some obvious errors.

COACH GEEZY IN THE BIG EASY PART III: LEGACY | FROM BOURBON ST. TO THE BAYOU
Old 12-15-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
MVP

CuseGirl's Arena

OVR: 7

Ok, I'm not a high level video game programmer. But I took C programming like every wannabe nerd in college.....DEPTH CHART issues? And there have been 3 patches and none of them addressed this problem? This is simple programming. I'm sure that's how roster in games work, right? Some function point the game to the player who has a marker or indicator that says he's a linebacker or safety or punter. And with those markers, they sort the players INTO THE DEPTH CHART while ignoring the redshirted players. Instead, we have a full sorting of all the players on the team, so the 2nd string MLB is my starting safety AND the 2nd string ROLB is my starting safety.........

This is ridiculous.....
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-15-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuseGirl
Ok, I'm not a high level video game programmer. But I took C programming like every wannabe nerd in college.....DEPTH CHART issues? And there have been 3 patches and none of them addressed this problem? This is simple programming. I'm sure that's how roster in games work, right? Some function point the game to the player who has a marker or indicator that says he's a linebacker or safety or punter. And with those markers, they sort the players INTO THE DEPTH CHART while ignoring the redshirted players. Instead, we have a full sorting of all the players on the team, so the 2nd string MLB is my starting safety AND the 2nd string ROLB is my starting safety.........

This is ridiculous.....
Firstly, as an EE, I can say that it's definitely not as easy as you make it sound, but that's beside the point. I think the main issue is that it's a matter of preference and a design decision was made that you don't agree with.

The decision comes from what is better?
1. Having the best OVR player at a position or
2. Only allowing guys listed at a position to play that position.

Would it be best to have that MLB, who is rated as an 80 SS play SS, or have a 60 SS playing SS? EA decided it's best to have an 80 OVR player playing instead of a 60 OVR guy, while you're saying that you'd prefer the 60 OVR guy.

Of course, the real problem is that the CPU recruiting is really FUBARed and that's what causes the issue, but this is much, much harder to fix as EA really needs to rebuild the CPU recruiting logic. But, as far as fixing the depth chart issues given the current FUBARed CPU recruiting, EA made a decision as to how to handle it.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »