Home

Running tips?

This is a discussion on Running tips? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-09-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
Running tips?

For about a week I thought I had it down. But no. I'm using SEC's sliders. Even when I play FCS teams every time they completely shed the block as soon as the ball is snaped. It's frustrating because I can't even get positive yardage half the time. I'm ok with haveing the occasional bad running game but every snap going for -3+ yards is just pathetic. Any tips or tricks?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Running tips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geetarguy
For about a week I thought I had it down. But no. I'm using SEC's sliders. Even when I play FCS teams every time they completely shed the block as soon as the ball is snaped. It's frustrating because I can't even get positive yardage half the time. I'm ok with haveing the occasional bad running game but every snap going for -3+ yards is just pathetic. Any tips or tricks?
Probably the biggest single thing I can say is don't go to the sprint button too fast. The defenders speed up when you do. Run at normal speed, look carefully for a hole, and if you get jammed when trying to break through, try juking to the side to get free. When there's a sliver of daylight use that sprint button and bust through.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16

Are you using shotgun running? That would explain your problem right there as the handoff and blocking for shotgun runs are poorly done this year.

You should probably increase HUM run blocking.
Old 11-10-2010, 01:17 AM   #4
Rookie

silkysmooth's Arena

OVR: 2

Best advice I can give is mix it up. I've had success with different running plays at different times. One game I totally killed the CPU on draw plays. I think I had two huge TD runs on draws. Other times it's an option play that totally throws off the CPU. Other times it's just running a stretch play behind great blocking. I run as Purdue and their offensive line is pretty good the first couple years of dynasty. My top two guys in year 1 rushed for about 2,000 yards combined. Now I'm in year 2 and even though my top guy has been injured a little lately he still has 850 yards and 10 TDs through 11 games. I like to think his 4.7 YPC is fairly realistic as well.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:09 AM   #5
Rookie

vusa92troy's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Sponge
Probably the biggest single thing I can say is don't go to the sprint button too fast. The defenders speed up when you do. Run at normal speed, look carefully for a hole, and if you get jammed when trying to break through, try juking to the side to get free. When there's a sliver of daylight use that sprint button and bust through.
I could not agree more with this statement. It all comes down to fair sliders and patience in the running game. Wait and follow your blocks and then when the time is right, then hit the sprint, IF needed and it always isn't needed.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-10-2010, 05:07 AM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 3

Just gonna throw this out there... if you are going to tell him to hold off using the sprint button then press it to bust through a hole you should probably make sure he has auto-sprint shut off being as by default the sprint button doesn't do anything because auto-sprint is turned on... if you leave auto-sprint turned on i think the biggest key to running successfully is to use your lean... its like real life if you lean forward you go forward, and i run a spread option attack with Nebraska and SEC Elite's sliders and average anywhere between 200-300 yards rushing per game between 3-4 different guys carrying the ball, i keep auto-sprint on and just utilize the leaning controls
Old 11-10-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
Pro

Scrapps's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headtrip325
Just gonna throw this out there... if you are going to tell him to hold off using the sprint button then press it to bust through a hole you should probably make sure he has auto-sprint shut off being as by default the sprint button doesn't do anything because auto-sprint is turned on... if you leave auto-sprint turned on i think the biggest key to running successfully is to use your lean... its like real life if you lean forward you go forward, and i run a spread option attack with Nebraska and SEC Elite's sliders and average anywhere between 200-300 yards rushing per game between 3-4 different guys carrying the ball, i keep auto-sprint on and just utilize the leaning controls
could you elaborate some on the leaning controls?
Old 11-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vusa92troy
I could not agree more with this statement. It all comes down to fair sliders and patience in the running game. Wait and follow your blocks and then when the time is right, then hit the sprint, IF needed and it always isn't needed.
Yes. Follow those blocks. It's VERY tempting once you're in the open field to just go balls to the wall but if you see blockers up ahead, try and let them do their job. Sometimes they can block that guy ahead of you and allow for another big chunk of yardage. I know sometimes it feels like they're "in the way" but really they're very useful if you let them be

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »