Home

Discrepencies in playbooks between practice and Formation Subs

This is a discussion on Discrepencies in playbooks between practice and Formation Subs within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-18-2010, 05:35 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 13
Discrepencies in playbooks between practice and Formation Subs

OK here is the thing. I have had this game since it came out but I am just now getting into it. I want to play with the Louisville Cardinals who run the spread and a version of the WildCat called of course, the "WildCard". I was thrilled to see that this formation, with its correct name made it into the game (very impressed actually). Here is my problem:

When I go to "Formation Subs" the WildCard is not there. There is something called "Chiefs/Bengals..." something or other. When I go to practice mode however, the WildCard is there but then I have another problem. The WildCard is run by one of UL's backup QB's, Dominque Brown. I made him my backup QB on the depth chart and selected the formation and "backup QB" as my substitution package. Everything looks right on the playcall screen but when it comes time to run the play, the RB is running the formation.

Does anybody have any idea if I may be missing something here. I want to start a Dynasty but I would really like to be able to run this formation properly. Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-18-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Discrepencies in playbooks between practice and Formation Subs

Here's a couple of things.

1. Using package subs (IE. "backup QB") should work fine in practice, but only if you call a play and don't select a random one. If you pick random plays from a formation, it glitches and uses the default players. Were you calling a random play or a single play? In games, everything should work fine as it'll look @ formation subs first and then packages.

2. Lots of formations in playbooks have different variations. IE Miss St's Empty tre TE has 2 or maybe even 3 variations. These variations are as subtle as having the #1 WR as the x for some plays in that formation and having the #2 WR as the x in others. Another variation could be having the x on the line and the slot off the line vs. having the slot on the line and the x off. Other formations have drastic changes like having 4 wildcat plays "hidden" inside a non-wildcat formation.
For formation subs, this means that you need to set them for all variations (IE. if I wanted my TE in the slot of that MSU formation above, I'd have to set it for the variation where the #1 is the x and then put the TE in the slot again for the variation where the #2 is the x. It sounds like UL's wildcat has different variations (IE. maybe it's the "Chiefs/Bengals" thing you mentioned). If you set the #2 QB as the QB for all wildcat variations, then you'll have him in there for all wildcat plays. MSU's pb has a wildcat spread formation and a bulldog heavy formation and I almost always formation sub my #2 QB into those formations with no issues.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Old 11-18-2010, 06:16 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello1717
Here's a couple of things.

1. Using package subs (IE. "backup QB") should work fine in practice, but only if you call a play and don't select a random one. If you pick random plays from a formation, it glitches and uses the default players. Were you calling a random play or a single play? In games, everything should work fine as it'll look @ formation subs first and then packages.

2. Lots of formations in playbooks have different variations. IE Miss St's Empty tre TE has 2 or maybe even 3 variations. These variations are as subtle as having the #1 WR as the x for some plays in that formation and having the #2 WR as the x in others. Another variation could be having the x on the line and the slot off the line vs. having the slot on the line and the x off. Other formations have drastic changes like having 4 wildcat plays "hidden" inside a non-wildcat formation.
For formation subs, this means that you need to set them for all variations (IE. if I wanted my TE in the slot of that MSU formation above, I'd have to set it for the variation where the #1 is the x and then put the TE in the slot again for the variation where the #2 is the x. It sounds like UL's wildcat has different variations (IE. maybe it's the "Chiefs/Bengals" thing you mentioned). If you set the #2 QB as the QB for all wildcat variations, then you'll have him in there for all wildcat plays. MSU's pb has a wildcat spread formation and a bulldog heavy formation and I almost always formation sub my #2 QB into those formations with no issues.

This helps a TON! Thank you!. I was doing random plays within that formation for practice purposes. Good stuff
Old 11-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestep123
This helps a TON! Thank you!. I was doing random plays within that formation for practice purposes. Good stuff
I think it's definitely best to practice with random plays so when I want to practice with formation subs (like my backup QB in the wildcat for example) I'll just change the depth chart and move him to my #1 QB (or my #1 HB if he's the default guy to take snaps in that formation) when I'm practicing the wildcat. Any depth chart changes you make in practice don't stay so you don't need to worry about screwing up your real depth chart.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »