Home

The Pistol

This is a discussion on The Pistol within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-30-2010, 06:37 PM   #9
MVP

BlastX21's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: The Pistol

I'm going to play the devil's advocate and say I dont find the Pistol that useful. First off, the handoff is painfully slow. This gives the DL extra time to get off blocks. Secondly, there isnt as much room for cutbacks and direction changes as compared to other formations, because the back gets the ball about 4 yards behind the LOS compared to 5 or 6 for Ace or shotgun. Finally, the read option animations are SO slow in the pistol. If the QB fakes it and runs, the animation and acceleration are so slow that by the time you get ready to take the corner, the DE and OLB are waiting for you.

Thats just my personal experience.

Last edited by BlastX21; 11-30-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 06:53 PM   #10
Rookie

seawolves9's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastX21
I'm going to play the devil's advocate and say I dont find the Pistol that useful. First off, the handoff is painfully slow. This gives the DL extra time to get off blocks. Secondly, there isnt as much room for cutbacks and direction changes as compared to other formations, because the back gets the ball about 4 yards behind the LOS compared to 5 or 6 for Ace or shotgun. Finally, the read option animations are SO slow in the pistol. If the QB fakes it and runs, the animation and acceleration are so slow that by the time you get ready to take the corner, the DE and OLD are waiting for you.

Thats just my personal experience.
I agree. Sometimes I have success with it and sometimes I don't. I've given up on the read option though because it fails a whole lot more than it works. The counter works real well most of the time though.
Old 11-30-2010, 07:55 PM   #11
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredlib
For the next season in 12con I am going to switch from Notre Dames playbook and I was thinking along the same lines of Scrapps. I don't want Nevada because I want multiple sets but what are the best playbooks that have at least one pistol formation in them?
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...post2041836177
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2010, 11:33 PM   #12
Rookie

Card-me's Arena

OVR: 7

I find the Nevada playbook to be one of the best in the game if you want to run a lot. Read options are hit or miss (mostly miss), but that's the game, not the playbook. The read option barely works in any formation.

Counters are easily the best plays in a pistol playbook, and there are a ton of them in a bunch of different formations. You can motion TEs to different sides for different looks and it becomes a seriously lethal running attack. I had the number 1 rushing game nationally for four straight seasons running Nevada's book and 2 2,000 yard rushers.

In terms of other formations, you aren't going to find many in Nevada's playbook, but you really shouldn't need them often. You've got a good Ace Heavy set (No WRs, 3 TEs, and 1 FB on the edge) that has some really good power plays. And then you've got some 4 and 5 WR packages for the two minute drill/desperation.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:32 AM   #13
MVP

Roggie's Arena

OVR: 17

I'm using Indiana's. They have some fantastic pass plays, along with a ton of power over runs (which happen to be my favorite play in the game). No option passes and no toss plays (which I guess makes sense, since it's the Pistol, but they could work.)

My offense with UNC's playbook (2nd season) was horrific. Zero run game. Decent pass game. With the pistol, both are improving, even though my RBs are worse and my O line still is garbage.
Chicago Bulls
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Red Wings
Detroit Lions

Old 12-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #14
Rookie

sleepyeagle's Arena

OVR: 3

When I use the Pistol, I use Nevada's playbook for the same reasons as Card-me. However, if the read option worked correctly I would probably use this playbook constantly. There's a PA slot post play that I love.

But the read option doesn't work, so I stick to mostly power and load options. The other playbook I use, NC State, has the best of those option plays, as well as my favorite shotgun formations.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:19 AM   #15
Asst 2 the Comm Manager

TheShizNo1's Arena

OVR: 33

Sliders can actually fix the read option, are at least make it usable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
You underestimate my laziness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo
**** ya

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-01-2010, 04:24 PM   #16
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyeagle
When I use the Pistol, I use Nevada's playbook for the same reasons as Card-me. However, if the read option worked correctly I would probably use this playbook constantly. There's a PA slot post play that I love.

But the read option doesn't work, so I stick to mostly power and load options. The other playbook I use, NC State, has the best of those option plays, as well as my favorite shotgun formations.
Any opinions on the generic pistol playbook?

Different / Better / Worse than Nevada's?

Thanks!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »