Home

The Pistol

This is a discussion on The Pistol within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-28-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Pro

Scrapps's Arena

OVR: 14
The Pistol

I'm considering converting my offense to the pistol. Has anyone utilized this with any success? What are some of the benefits? Disadvantages? I would also like to use a playbook that still has a fair amount of a running game from under center. Also, with a few true shotgun formations. I would appreciate any input or recommendations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #2
Rookie

Bucknut17's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: The Pistol

Ohio and Indiana both have shotgun and ace along with pistol, the counters and read options can be pretty effective and running is better than from the gun IMO, and passing especially against users is better since you are already 3-4 yard from the los. In my experience you don't have to have rg3 or denard but mobility does makes it much more effective
Old 11-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #3
Burrow Club

Watson's Arena

OVR: 49

It makes running a straight up read-option much easier. Also, if the defense starts keying on what side you're running to and is in man coverage, just flip it and read the SS for an easy TD.

I don't like the rest of it because at some point you're going to hit a wall and most Pistol playbooks lack big plays, especially passes. If you want a effective pass play, it's either a PA Rollout or curls/flats (which you can only run so many times a game before routes start getting jumped)

edit: Jeremy has a good point with the TE/WR-LB mismatch thing, but there's still little "big play" potential

@AdamdotH

Last edited by Watson; 11-29-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-29-2010, 10:51 AM   #4
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

I'm in an OD playing with Miss St and I use Bama's play-book. It has a Pistol formation in it and I love it. One of the advantages is that that the running plays can go to the strong and weak side of the formation. So if you're playing a Human opponent they can't load up on the strong side like they can in other formations (the I-formation for example).

Another positive is that you can change the formation to a 3 WR. So your #1 WR comes in in the place of your outside TE/FB. If the D comes out in a base man set then this will give you a mismatch with a LB on your #1 WR.

I'd suggest going into practice mode with one of the play-books and seeing what you think of it.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 11-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
Rookie

nmm666's Arena

OVR: 0

I've been running a dynasty with FIU which is a spread offense with some pistol formations. Since I hate running out of the shotgun, I mostly run out of the pistol and I love it.

Good tip Jeremy, I'm going to try some formation subs, because my second string true freshman TE is only a 58 skill rating. My TE starter is a redshirt freshman 62 skill, so he isn't much better.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-30-2010, 01:47 PM   #6
Rookie

sleepyeagle's Arena

OVR: 3

If you really love the pistol it's hard to beat Nevada's playbook. Especially if you have a good mobile QB and a couple of good RBs. Every formation has great pass/run threats.
Old 11-30-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 5

Arkansas' playbook has a Pistol set, and I find it the best playbook for teams that want to go vertical a lot.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #8
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

For the next season in 12con I am going to switch from Notre Dames playbook and I was thinking along the same lines of Scrapps. I don't want Nevada because I want multiple sets but what are the best playbooks that have at least one pistol formation in them?

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »