Home

Do you ever restart games?

This is a discussion on Do you ever restart games? within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #25
MVP

jello1717's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Do you ever restart games?

I never restart and I've only ever been tempted to once (and this was in NCAA '10). I was playing a 2* TB team who had 1 good player, my SR HB. On his 1st touch of the season he ran off tackle for an 80+ yard TD. On his 2nd touch of the season he took the handoff 70+ yards, but the defender took the angle and tackled him on the 5 yard line where I got the great news. Broken collarbone. Out or the season.

This guy had 150 yards on the only 2 carries he'd ever have for me (since he was a SR) and was at least 10 OVR points better than my #2 guy. I've never been so tempted to restart a game in my life, but I still didn't.
College #1: Michigan Wolverines
College #2: Michigan State Spartans (my alma mater)
College #3: North Carolina Tar Heels
NHL: Detroit Redwings
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #26
Speak it into existence

jeremym480's Arena

OVR: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souchiro
Dude....You totally copy and pasted my previous post in this thread? Was this supposed to be a quote? Man thats creepy if it wasnt.
That's awesome.

Alabama Crimson Tide
Green Bay Packers
Boston Celtics

New Orleans Pelicans
Old 12-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 3

I try not too but I did once. It was one of those games that I thought I was going to lose. Already had 5 TO's during the game but somehow managed to come back. With 4 min left in the game, I was up 21-20 and their RB broke a run deep into my secondary, he fumbled and their WR picked it up...broke 2 tackles against a LB and DT and scrambled for a TD. When I got the ball back I was driving and I threw a pass over their middle at about their 30 and my wide open receiver tipped it, then another receiver of mine tipped it, and their DB came by and picked it for 6.....at that point it was just instinct that I turned it off....
Old 12-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #28
MVP

boisejames's Arena

OVR: 14

Yeah, I've restarted a few games... When I was like ten years old!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Sponge
To everyone who says "I don't reset unless the CPU is cheating" I'd say that's a slippery slope. I know the CPU seems to get mysterious awareness bumps here and there, but I would wager that happens every game. I would also insist there are no "preordained losses", only games that are tougher. If you even allow yourself the option of a restart then you have to define the undefinable, which is what EXACTLY constitutes too much CPU "cheating"? My guess is you define it as "when you get really pissed off".

Another thing I'd point out is I'll bet you NEVER reset when you have everything going your way in a game. I've have a terrible Utah State team pull off a completely unexpected and amazing upset over #3 Boise State in a game in which it seemed everything went my way. I reveled in that knowing it was a bright spot in an otherwise tough season. I didn't reset that game, but I also didn't reset the ones where I felt like nothing could go right for me either.
This. Come on guys. If you're going to restart games when nothing's going your way then you have to restart when everything's going your way too.

I think the games where I can't do anything and get blown out make the wins and close games special.

I had a game where I was down by 24 at the half and I came back to within three. I was driving for OT/the win and the game froze. When I replayed the game I lost 41-0, still didn't restart.
MLB: SEA
EFL: BHA
MLS: POR
Old 12-03-2010, 03:03 PM   #29

Deegeezy's Arena

OVR: 15

Never restart...What's the point of playing if you're going to just restart it. Weird things happen in college football all the time.

In some ways, I actually enjoy the fact that I lose (after the fact, not during the game obviously).

COACH GEEZY IN THE BIG EASY PART III: LEGACY | FROM BOURBON ST. TO THE BAYOU
Old 12-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisejames
Yeah, I've restarted a few games... When I was like ten years old!
This. Come on guys. If you're going to restart games when nothing's going your way then you have to restart when everything's going your way too.

I think the games where I can't do anything and get blown out make the wins and close games special.

I had a game where I was down by 24 at the half and I came back to within three. I was driving for OT/the win and the game froze. When I replayed the game I lost 41-0, still didn't restart.
Actually I just restarted against beat Arkansas 52-28. It was going great for me, but I wasn't having fun with it and it seemed that I had to try NOT to score. I don't like those so I just re did it
Old 12-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #31
Pro

Bullet Sponge's Arena

OVR: 7

I think a lot of it also comes down to personal philosophy about what makes the game enjoyable. For me, it's the overall breadth of the dynasty, probably at LEAST 10+ seasons. An individual loss is a small piece in an overall puzzle that includes many ups and downs. Some losing seasons, some heartbreaking seasons, some where I defy the odds or win the title.

On the other hand you have hyperactive teenagers who feel like they have to win EVERY game 65-0, go undefeated every season, win every NC, and if they ever lose a game they feel like the whole season is a lost cause. Those guys are not college football fans, they're kiddies playing an arcade game and they're truly missing out on the deeper enjoyment of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2010, 06:16 PM   #32
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

I restarted one particular game about 5 times, b/c it was apparent that although the circumstances varied from game to game, I was going to lose that one...no matter what...

So I restarted a number of times as an experiment...

Since than, I've seen that once or twice a year the CPU / AI is going to be "lights out" and my guys will be on a one game "mental vacation", not unlike real college / pro football...

It's balanced off by one or two games a year that I will destroy someone, and I don't ever think of restarting those...

So...it def balances out in the long run...

If the CPU has to have a couple REALLY big breaks to beat me, then so be it...

I don't want to win an unrealistic amount of games or in an unrealistic manner...slightly "unrealistic" losses are fine by me...

Bottom line:

Never again UNLESS it's a third "rain game" in a row...

I get kind of bored with the drops, fumbles and bad kicking in rain games and have restarted when I got to a third in a row...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »